Is everybody

Old February 2nd 09, 12:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Default Is everybody

out skiing? I certainly hope so.
Old February 2nd 09, 01:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

VtSkier wrote:
out skiing? I certainly hope so.

Wish I was, Sitting working from home watching the snow fall
(Here in the UK 2" of snow stops the world see www.bbc.co.uk/news )

but at least there'll be snow on top of the plastic tonight so I'll get
an hour or so.

--
Chris *:-)

Rule 1 - Me first
Rule 2 - Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!
Rule 3 - Skis at the bottom, Head at the top!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old February 2nd 09, 01:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
out skiing? I certainly hope so.

Nah.

Everybody is waiting for a rodent to appear out of a hole in the ground.
Some of us are desperately hoping that it's "shadow" this year.

//Walt
Old February 2nd 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
out skiing? I certainly hope so.

Nah.

Everybody is waiting for a rodent to appear out of a hole in the ground.
Some of us are desperately hoping that it's "shadow" this year.

//Walt

Glad to see you've returned in one
piece. Did your 'usual' at the other
areas visited or did you wind up
liking our more laid-back approach.

BTW, you made me think. The laid-back
approach is usually (at least for me)
the result of having a season pass.
I do tend to be more frenetic when I've
paid for a day pass. I'll be more
sympathetic to your sensibilities next
time.

I do count 15 or 20 lift rides including
Skyeship from the base as a pretty good
day. Remember that, except for Snowshed
at the beginning of the day, we didn't
ride anything less than a mile long.

As for the stupid rodent in Pennsylvania,
what does he have to do with New England
weather anyway. No self-respecting
ground hog comes anywhere near the surface
in February around here.

Aside #1,
Woodchuck is a name for a Vermont native.
This having to do with chucking wood, not
being a rodent.

Aside #2,
Bill Murray movie called "Groundhog Day",
discuss...
Old February 2nd 09, 09:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

VtSkier wrote:

Glad to see you've returned in one
piece. Did your 'usual' at the other
areas visited or did you wind up
liking our more laid-back approach.

For those just joining the conversation, what Richard is referring to is
his laid-back approach to the ski day - take a run or three, head in for
coffee, another run or two, then shoot the **** in the patrol shack for
15 minutes, then another run or two and take an hour for lunch. And
then take it easy in the afternoon.

I think this is a common approach for those who ski all the time and who
have been skiing for a long time. Call it the "wise old man" approach.
Which reminds me of a joke: An old bull and a young bull were at the
bottom of a hill when they saw a bunch of heffiers at the top. The young
bull said, "I'm going to run up that hill and shag one of those young
heffiers." To which the old bull replied, "Well, I'm going to walk up
there and shag several."

But I digress....

My approach, which he referres to as "usual", is a much more frantic
approach to the ski day. You see, I didn't start to ski until almost the
age of 40. That means that I am now THREE DECADES BEHIND and if I don't
keep at it dilligently I'll never ever catch up. Time is precious, you
only get about 80 trips around the sun, and every minute spent not
skiing is a minute that I'll never ever get back. How can I fart around
in the lodge when this is on my mind?

So, I try to get to the hill in time for the first chair, ski all day
and take very short infrequent breaks. A much different approach than
Richard's, and what I employed the first three days (Sun, Mon, Tue) last
week. I spent Wednesday skiing in a blizzard at K-mart with Richard at
his pace. The final two days were spent skiing with a very old friend
who only skis infrequently and is not very good at the sport. Thus, it
was a quite leisurely pace as well. Sometimes skiing is more about the
companionship than the skiing itself.

And Sunday back home was an XC day with my wife. Now that's a *real*
laid-back approach.

BTW, you made me think. The laid-back
approach is usually (at least for me)
the result of having a season pass.

Hmmm. I have a season pass, and I still ski at my home hill like it's
my last day on earth. See above about being THREE DECADES BEHIND!

I do tend to be more frenetic when I've
paid for a day pass. I'll be more
sympathetic to your sensibilities next
time.

Well, the thing is I would never have been able to do "the usual" at
Killington in those conditions. That was some serious chowdah, eh?

I do count 15 or 20 lift rides including
Skyeship from the base as a pretty good
day. Remember that, except for Snowshed
at the beginning of the day, we didn't
ride anything less than a mile long.

It was a very good day. Thanks for suspending the NFOPD rule.

//Walt
Old February 2nd 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Walt wrote:

So, I try to get to the hill in time for the first chair, ski all day
and take very short infrequent breaks. A much different approach than
Richard's, and what I employed the first three days (Sun, Mon, Tue) last
week.

I'm with you, but I didn't start until I was 47. I get up at 5:00 in order to
NOT get blinded on that certain curve up in the mountains and get a decent
parking place, drive for 1.5 hours, wait 45 minutes for the lifts to open, ski
laps for 3 hours, take a half- or full-hour break and ski until 1:00, at which
time I am totally exhausted and they pay me $15 to leave early, drive another
1.5 hours, stop at Costco for gas and/or stuff, and go home.

If I had somebody to ski with besides casual lift-sharing strangers it might be
different, but it's not. When I'm there, I'm either skiing or waiting to ski or
resting up from having skied. Casual chit-chat happens on the lifts.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old February 2nd 09, 10:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 08:22:52 -0500, VtSkier wrote
this crap:

out skiing? I certainly hope so.

I've been target practicing. I get my tax refund soon.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old February 2nd 09, 10:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique

On Feb 2, 6:23*pm, A mighty Hungarian wrote:

I've been target practicing. *I get my tax refund soon.

Nice of you to give the government an interest free loan of your money
for the year. Some republican...

JP
Old February 2nd 09, 10:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 13:23:46 -0500, VtSkier wrote
this crap:

Aside #1,
Woodchuck is a name for a Vermont native.
This having to do with chucking wood, not
being a rodent.

Here in the midwest, we shoot groundhogs.

Aside #2,
Bill Murray movie called "Groundhog Day",
discuss...

Sucked. But I did like the part where he learned to play the piano.

At least it wasn't an accordion, or bagpipes.

Old February 2nd 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 17:17:20 -0500, Walt
wrote this crap:

My approach, which he referres to as "usual", is a much more frantic
approach to the ski day. You see, I didn't start to ski until almost the
age of 40. That means that I am now THREE DECADES BEHIND and if I don't
keep at it dilligently I'll never ever catch up.

You'll never catch up to me. Skiing or yacht racing.

Or target practice.

My name will live forever.