Natasha Richardson

Old March 24th 09, 10:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Default Natasha Richardson

Walt wrote:

A mighty Hungarian warrior wrote:
Alan Baker wrote this crap:

If you'd seen the gash my skipper got while racing Solings in Seattle,
you might think it was a good idea for yacht racing.

No I wouldn't. And I've been in races where boats sunk, and people
died. I've been on races where boats were attacked by sea monsters

For battling sea monsters, I'd definitely recommend wearing a helmet.

Preferably one with horns.

A guy at Snow Summit today was wearing a Valkyrie-type hat made of sheepskin.
Pile on the inside, skin outside, horns in the appropriate places. It would
probably be uncomfortably heavy if it got wet, though. Definitely unsuitable
for fighting sea monsters.

--
Cheers, Bev
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old March 24th 09, 11:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique

On Mar 19, 3:39*pm, Evojeesus wrote:
On Mar 19, 8:44*pm, bdubya wrote:

A helmet can protect against g-forces, by deforming and
absorbing part of the impact, but somehow I doubt that on a green run
during a lesson, she hit hard enough to deform a helmet , so I doubt a
helmet would have helped.

At least the helmet is padded. If you hit your head on ice while ice-
skating you know that even wearing a hat helps compared with skull-to-
ice contact.

I think that you're overlooking the obvious. Helmets can't prevent a
skier from FALLING - only the skier can prevent himself from that. As
such, I think more precautions need to be taken to insure that people
know just what the hell they're doing out there in the first place. I
don't know how many times I've fallen, but trust me - it's a LOT. And
having fallen so much I have to say that I know what I'm talking
about. Less falling = less fatal head and bone injuries. Plus
there's soft tissue - anywhere you've got soft tissue and hard falling
and you've got yourself a recipe for disaster. The BIG PROBLEM is NOT
THE HELMETS that aren't being worn. IT'S THE HEADS THAT AREN'T
WEARING THEM!!!

Don't you see? I feel very strongly that there should be some sort of
licensing requirement for skiing - maybe some sort of badge you could
wear that would indicate onto what pistes you could traverse. The
bigger the piste, the bigger the badge you'd need. Maybe not a good
example, but something like that. Too many times I ski and see the
tragedy of an unhelmeted skier NOT KNOWING THAT the piste is too big
for his badge. And there have been accidents. I could tell you about
some of the terrible fallings I've seen - and even BEEN INVOLVED in.
All because no one made the difficult decision toe enforce the
regulations on too big piste for too little skier. (With no helmet
also.)

I'm probably going to start a movement to promote proper piste usage
because I know I have been very VERY at fault for over-pisting while
being waaaaaaay underhelmeted.

JP
*************************
Piste off.

PS2 - the verification thingy google is making me type to ensure my
reality is "buddarad". Creepy.
Old March 24th 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Jeff Davis wrote:

Kathryn Miller died of head injuries from a tumble down Space Walk,

Jeff, that's a damn shame ...

No way to know if a helmet would have helped either Miller or
Richardson, but it's such a simple piece of added protection.

It's hard to understand why rank beginners who know they're going to
fall hard many times, or experts who know they're going to take it to
high risk levels, wouldn't automatically wear helmets.

I can understand the 10-20 visits per year dilettantes, who are the
mainstay of resorts, and who know how to avoid the beginner falls and
will be unlikely to try anything off piste would be happy helmetless.

It's also a shame that an actress gets more news coverage than an real
athlete.
Old March 25th 09, 06:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article ,
(Jeff Davis) wrote:

In article ,
Alan Baker wrote:

More and more of the pro patrol and ski instructors at Cypress are
starting to wear helmets...

...and I think that next season, I'll be one of them.

Kathryn Miller died of head injuries from a tumble down Space Walk, a chute
in Rock Springs Canyon, South of Jackson Hole Mountain Resort. She wasn't a
Redgrave. She was a mountaineer. She lead a team of women up Cho Oyu,
8201 m on the Nepalese/Chinese border. She was a perennial JH Ski Patroler.
She was an owner of Jackson Hole Mountain Guides. Her ex-husband, Rob Hess,
was the 3rd American to summit Everest without the use of suplemental oxygen,
(and signed off on my Level III Mountain Guide Certification from the
American
Avalanche Institute). She died the day after Natasha Richardson.

If a magnificent athlete like Kathryn died from skiing without a helmet, what
chance does a junk show wedgie like you have? Nice to see the Darwin
Principle
in force here Alan. Next year never gets here. All we have is here now.

True. And my season is nearly over.

I would have bought one the other day when I took my young cousins out,
but when I got up there, they didn't have any left that fit me.

--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old March 25th 09, 11:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Mar 23, 2:27 pm, VtSkier wrote:

I did something similar while skiing the woods
at Heavenly over New Years. I thought Ichin would
catch it on video, but no luck. I only have the
helmet with wood embedded in it and a crack in
the interior foam. Not wearing that one anymore.

Sorry, the camera switch tripped off during chasing. The question is,
if you had not worn the helmet, would you do that stunt (diving
through a low branch opening not higher than half person high)?

Long time no talks, but I was busy chasing this guy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JYFbw3JGC4

have fun,
IS
Old March 25th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,
taichiskiing wrote:

On Mar 23, 2:27 pm, VtSkier wrote:

I did something similar while skiing the woods
at Heavenly over New Years. I thought Ichin would
catch it on video, but no luck. I only have the
helmet with wood embedded in it and a crack in
the interior foam. Not wearing that one anymore.

Sorry, the camera switch tripped off during chasing. The question is,
if you had not worn the helmet, would you do that stunt (diving
through a low branch opening not higher than half person high)?

Long time no talks, but I was busy chasing this guy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JYFbw3JGC4

have fun,
IS

Wow.

You followed someone down the cat tracks.

Old March 25th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
taichiskiing wrote:

On Mar 23, 2:27 pm, VtSkier wrote:

I did something similar while skiing the woods
at Heavenly over New Years. I thought Ichin would
catch it on video, but no luck. I only have the
helmet with wood embedded in it and a crack in
the interior foam. Not wearing that one anymore.

Sorry, the camera switch tripped off during chasing. The question is,
if you had not worn the helmet, would you do that stunt (diving
through a low branch opening not higher than half person high)?

Long time no talks, but I was busy chasing this guy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JYFbw3JGC4

have fun,
IS

Wow.

You followed someone down the cat tracks.

Actually I think it was Olympic, the downhill
course. The condos at the bottom of the lift
were the giveaway.
Old March 25th 09, 11:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 14:06:59 -0700, Alan Baker
wrote:

In article ,
A mighty Hungarian wrote:

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:11:26 -0000, "MoonMan"
wrote this crap:

I have three main reasons for wearing a helmet

Here they a

1. Wuss
2. Wuss
3.Wuss

I live a life of action, adventure, and danger. Next you'll tell me
to wear a helmet while yacht racing.

And vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

If you'd seen the gash my skipper got while racing Solings in Seattle,
you might think it was a good idea for yacht racing.

From the Yachting Dictionary (4th ed):

Boom Vang: (n) A large bump or knot, often observed on Horvath's
head after a jibe.

bw
Old March 25th 09, 11:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article ,
VtSkier wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
taichiskiing wrote:

On Mar 23, 2:27 pm, VtSkier wrote:

I did something similar while skiing the woods
at Heavenly over New Years. I thought Ichin would
catch it on video, but no luck. I only have the
helmet with wood embedded in it and a crack in
the interior foam. Not wearing that one anymore.
Sorry, the camera switch tripped off during chasing. The question is,
if you had not worn the helmet, would you do that stunt (diving
through a low branch opening not higher than half person high)?

Long time no talks, but I was busy chasing this guy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JYFbw3JGC4

have fun,
IS

Wow.

You followed someone down the cat tracks.

Actually I think it was Olympic, the downhill
course. The condos at the bottom of the lift
were the giveaway.

It was cat tracks. There are lots of times when you can see the runs
that cross.