Shawnee no-show!

Old December 14th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique

Default Shawnee no-show!

I went down and skied Shawnee Mountain in the Poconos this weekend.
100% man-made snow, but it was actually pretty decent - not crowded at
all either. And I'd like to point out that no one had the cajones to
call me names to my face. I rule.

JP
************************************
King of the (well...that) hill.
Old December 15th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
john

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
I went down and skied Shawnee Mountain in the Poconos this weekend.
100% man-made snow, but it was actually pretty decent - not crowded at
all either. And I'd like to point out that no one had the cajones to
call me names to my face. I rule.

Do they normally? I once fell 15 times getting down a short blue trail, and
no one called me a name; so I have to wonder what you might be doing!

Old December 15th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Jay Pique wrote:
I went down and skied Shawnee Mountain in the Poconos this weekend.
100% man-made snow, but it was actually pretty decent - not crowded at
all either. And I'd like to point out that no one had the cajones to
call me names to my face. I rule.

I'll be skiing the poke-your-nose over XMas, as I have done every year
for the last decade or so. If you've got any cojones left over from the
Shawnee trip, I'm all ears.

Thank you, drive through.

//Walt
Old December 15th 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

"Walt" wrote in message
Jay Pique wrote:
I went down and skied Shawnee Mountain in the Poconos this weekend.
100% man-made snow, but it was actually pretty decent - not crowded at
all either. And I'd like to point out that no one had the cajones to
call me names to my face. I rule.

I'll be skiing the poke-your-nose over XMas, as I have done every year for
the last decade or so. If you've got any cojones left over from the
Shawnee trip, I'm all ears.

Thank you, drive through.

//Walt

Hey Walt,
Which mountain will you be skiing while in the Poconos?
JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old December 15th 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

JQ wrote:

Hey Walt,
Which mountain will you be skiing while in the Poconos?

Probably Jack Frost. The terrain is not much to write home about, but
it has the best snow of the ones I've been to*.

*Blue, Spring, Camelback, Big Boulder, Bear Creek.

//Walt
Old December 16th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

"Walt" wrote in message
JQ wrote:

Hey Walt,
Which mountain will you be skiing while in the Poconos?

Probably Jack Frost. The terrain is not much to write home about, but it
has the best snow of the ones I've been to*.

*Blue, Spring, Camelback, Big Boulder, Bear Creek.

//Walt

Have you tried Elk Mountain? If you like to ski bumps they generally have
at least 3 different bump runs. It is further north and has the best
terrain of the Pocono ski areas. The snow conditions there are generally
better than most of the other areas, but I do agree with you Jack Frost
generally has better snow than the other resorts south of it.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old December 16th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

On Dec 15, 5:26*pm, "JQ" wrote:
"Walt" wrote in message

JQ wrote:

Hey Walt,
Which mountain will you be skiing while in the Poconos?

Probably Jack Frost. *The terrain is not much to write home about, *but it
has the best snow of the ones I've been to*.

*Blue, Spring, Camelback, Big Boulder, Bear Creek.

//Walt

Have you tried Elk Mountain? *If you like to ski bumps they generally have
at least 3 different bump runs. *It is further north and has the best
terrain of the Pocono ski areas. *The snow conditions there are generally
better than most of the other areas, but I do agree with you Jack Frost
generally has better snow than the other resorts south of it.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Elk was always my favorite when I lived in Joisey. It was definitely
worth the added drive.
Old December 16th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

JQ wrote:

Have you tried Elk Mountain? If you like to ski bumps they generally have
at least 3 different bump runs. It is further north and has the best
terrain of the Pocono ski areas. The snow conditions there are generally
better than most of the other areas, but I do agree with you Jack Frost
generally has better snow than the other resorts south of it.

No, I haven't been to Elk yet - I day trip out of Wilmington over Xmas
and the 3 hour haul to Elk is somewhat of a disincentive vs. the 2 hr
trip to JF. And since I try to get friends/family to join me the shorter
trip to the easier skiing is an easier sell.

I went to Camelback last year, and even though it's at about the same
latitude as JF the conditions were night and day different - Camelback
was almost entirely boilerplate with death cookies on top; the
conditions were so bad I quit after only five hours. JF the next day
had quite that nicly groomed soft-but-firm surface.

//Walt
Old December 16th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Walt wrote:
JQ wrote:

[...]

Soft but firm eh? Is that somewhat like
styrofoam? Really quite hard but very
edgeable? Common here with manmade.
Old December 16th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:

nicly groomed soft-but-firm surface.

Really quite hard but very edgeable?

Exactly. The top inch or two gives a little, but below that it's rock
solid.

Like astroturf on asphalt. I love that stuff.

//Walt