another cleaning question - klister drift

Old March 13th 04, 02:10 PM
Derick Fay

Default another cleaning question - klister drift

Generally after a classical session with klister, I end up with some spots
of klister along the glide zone of the tails of the skis. I normally
clean klister off the kick zone with the toilet paper moistened with base
cleaner method. And I've been removing the spots of klister in the glide
zone (after scraping what can be scraped) with a dab of base cleaner on
paper towel -- it looks to me, though, as if this approach is taking off a
patch of glide wax as well as the klister...but I don't really want to let
the residue that I can't get with the scraper stay on the ski (iron it
back in?).

What do people recommend to clean up these spots of klister in the tail
glide zones?

thanks
Derick
Old March 13th 04, 04:48 PM
Griss

"Derick Fay"

What do people recommend to clean up these spots of klister in the tail
glide zones?

The best way I've found to clean errant kick wax or klister off a glide zone
is to do a "hot scrape" cleaning with a wax of the CH 10 caliber. I do
either the whole glide zone, or at least the areas with the contamination.

Griss

Old March 14th 04, 01:09 AM
Marsh Jones

Derick Fay wrote:
Generally after a classical session with klister, I end up with some
spots of klister along the glide zone of the tails of the skis. I
normally clean klister off the kick zone with the toilet paper moistened
with base cleaner method. And I've been removing the spots of klister
in the glide zone (after scraping what can be scraped) with a dab of
base cleaner on paper towel -- it looks to me, though, as if this
approach is taking off a patch of glide wax as well as the klister...but
I don't really want to let the residue that I can't get with the scraper
stay on the ski (iron it back in?).

What do people recommend to clean up these spots of klister in the tail
glide zones?

thanks
Derick

You can get most of it by laying toilet paper or fiberlene over it, and
putting the wax iron to it JUST A BIT. Try to keep the iron away from
the rest of the ski, and just enough temperature to help the TP absorb
the klister. Then scrape the TP off with one pass. That will get most
of it, but I generally agree with Gris - hot scrape the whole tail and
re-wax.

Marsh Jones
Old March 15th 04, 11:34 AM
Primoz Jeroncic

Derick Fay wrote:

Generally after a classical session with klister, I end up with some spots
of klister along the glide zone of the tails of the skis. I normally
clean klister off the kick zone with the toilet paper moistened with base
cleaner method. And I've been removing the spots of klister in the glide
zone (after scraping what can be scraped) with a dab of base cleaner on
paper towel -- it looks to me, though, as if this approach is taking off a
patch of glide wax as well as the klister...but I don't really want to let
the residue that I can't get with the scraper stay on the ski (iron it
back in?).

What do people recommend to clean up these spots of klister in the tail
glide zones?

As someone said already You are worrying about things like
this way to much. I never bothered and cleaned skis wherever klister
was wix Toko or Swix (depends what we had that year ) solvent? or
whatever should be that fluid for cleaning wax called. After it's
clean you wipe it and put transport wax on and it's done. I did
this with skis on which people were skiing World Cup races, and they
still had one of fastest skis around. And nothing to worry.. everyone
else were doing same. You don't destroy ski like that. Even if paper
with which you are cleaning is dripping wet.

--
Primoz
Support - IP/VoIP Connectivity & Routing