Classical Race Rule?

Old January 20th 04, 01:11 AM
John Galt

Default Classical Race Rule?

Where can I find a good source of rules for classic ski races? I did a web
search but found nothing helpful.

Specific example:

Scenario: A multi-loop, staggered-start race with two sets of tracks.

What is the ruling on: When a faster skier approaches from behind a slower
skier, both in the right-hand track, does the slower skier jump immediately
to the left track when the catching skier yells 'track!', or is the faster
skier supposed to pass in the left track?

Thanks,

Old January 20th 04, 03:03 AM
Greg Fangel

"John Galt" wrote in message
news
Where can I find a good source of rules for classic ski races? I did a

web
search but found nothing helpful.

FIS International rule
340.1.3 A competitor who is overtaken must give way on the first demand
except

in sprint competitions and in marked zones ( (see 340.1.4).

This applies in classical technique courses even when there are two tracks

and in free technique courses when the skier being overtaken may have to

restrict his skating action. When overtaking competitors must not obstruct

each other.

340.1.4 Once the competitors enter a zone where corridors are marked they
must

remain in their chosen corridor unless they are overtaking another
competitor.

Download the rule book at
http://www.fis-ski.com/rulesandpubli...ntryrules.html

Greg Fangel

Old January 21st 04, 02:22 AM
J999w

If I were comming up behind you and there was a clear track past you, I'd take
the initiative and simply go by. If the lane you were in had an obvious
advantage (like 4 inches of snow in the other lane), then I'd "track" you.

My .02

jw
milwaukee