Work and traning

Old September 24th 03, 08:30 PM
Bob Creasote

Default Work and traning

Hi,

After putting in a great off season of training, I have been struck by the
reality that work can eat into my training time. Over the last weeks, with
trips out of the country and some serious workloads I have had very little
time to train and I can't see an end on the horizon. Only 3-4 times a week
which equates to about 5-7 hours, if that. I am pretty disappointed but hey,
at least the work is enjoyable. I'd be interested to hear how other people
fit in training around work. I've just been getting out whenever I can.

cheers

Bob

Old September 25th 03, 10:11 PM
Chequama Mama

I'm sure meany people who know much more than I do will weigh in, but I
would say, don't sweat it.

You said that you've gotten in lots of good training over the course of
the summer. This gives you a good base, and you would be starting to
cut back the hours around now anyway. I don't know your goals, but for
most anything that should be enough time. Just make sure that those
hours that you do get are used efficiently. Lots of quality over
quantity. A couple of interval sessions, a distance session, and maybe
a technique focused session, or a time trial. Etc.

Paul

Old September 26th 03, 05:52 AM
Erik Brooks

I' love to be able to train without work
getting in the way, but that's not going
to happen for years, either for me or
for my competitors( I hope). We fit in
what we can, and just take satisfaction
in the knowledge that our health and
fitness is way above average. I'd be
pleased to get in 3-4 quality workouts
per week. My substitute is doing a
hilly bike commute year around, and that
seems to be enough to keep me in decent
shape.

Erik Brooks, Seattle - where we will
soon enter the 'dark ages' of rainy
darkness for 2 months before the skiing
starts, and that's a big obstacle for an
XC racer.

Old September 29th 03, 05:06 PM
Sly D. Skeez

"Bob Creasote" wrote in message ...

After putting in a great off season of training, I have been struck by the
reality that work can eat into my training time. Over the last weeks, with
trips out of the country and some serious workloads I have had very little
time to train and I can't see an end on the horizon. Only 3-4 times a week
which equates to about 5-7 hours, if that. I am pretty disappointed but hey,
at least the work is enjoyable. I'd be interested to hear how other people
fit in training around work. I've just been getting out whenever I can.

My normal weeks are about 7-8 hours, and I put in 4-5 hours on the
weekend. I think that's pretty normal for masters. I get up, go to
work, come home, train, then shower, eat and go to bed. That's a
normal Tue, Wed, and Thr. So the only weekdays I get anything done
around the house is Mon and Friday evening. If I get over about the 8
hour mark, I have to "push the envelop" by taking time off of work or
training easy on a rest day.

If you're been putting in some big weeks over the summer, having a
break at this time of year might be a good thing.

Jay Wenner
Old October 2nd 03, 04:48 AM
Terje Mathisen

Tim Dudley wrote:

Congratulations! Grandparent stage - now that's master level.

I've never been able to figure out how to manage work and a family and still
be able to get in decent amounts of training, so I'm in awe of someone who
can do it. Sounds like you're successful on all counts.

Move to Scandinavia:

Overtime is _not_ the rule, being home by 16:15 is quite normal.

Terje

--
-