New Hampshire location recommendation, please

Old February 21st 05, 05:43 PM

Default New Hampshire location recommendation, please

Greetings. As someone who cut his BC teeth in the Sierras, I need a
little help picking a place (other than Tuck's) in New Hampshire's
white mountains for a mid-march trip. Ideal would be a place to set up
a base camp 2-4 miles from a trailhead and access intermediate and
advanced slopes from there. We'll be there 3 nights and would love a
good ski-back-to-the-car descent. Bonus points for upgrade to a
lean-to rather than the tent. Best way to reach me is
. Thanks much!

Old February 21st 05, 06:45 PM
Gary S.

On 21 Feb 2005 10:43:28 -0800, wrote:

Greetings. As someone who cut his BC teeth in the Sierras, I need a
little help picking a place (other than Tuck's) in New Hampshire's
white mountains for a mid-march trip. Ideal would be a place to set up
a base camp 2-4 miles from a trailhead and access intermediate and
advanced slopes from there. We'll be there 3 nights and would love a
good ski-back-to-the-car descent. Bonus points for upgrade to a
lean-to rather than the tent. Best way to reach me is
. Thanks much!

First, check out the two books by David Goodman, published by the AMC:

Backcountry Skiing Adventures: Classic Ski and Snowboard Tours in
Maine and New Hampshire

Backcountry Skiing Adventures: Classic Ski and Snowboard Tours in
Vermont and New York

Any serious or not-so-serious BC skier in the areas mentioned wants
these books.

One location to consider is the Gulf of Slides, just a bit south of
Tucks. Great serious skiing on the south wall of Boote Spur, and the
trip back down on skis is interesting (trail gets narrow at times).

Note that the name of that area does not refer to Kodachrome or
Fujichrome. Crank your avvy awareness skills to the max. People have
died in slides there.

Depends on weather, but mid-March is a bit early for the hordes to
invade Tucks. Don't rule it out, as the skiing is more plentiful,
wider skill range and there are lean-tos at HoJo's. The Sherburne Ski
Trail back down compares to a typical blue trail at a ski area,
without the grooming. Check with the AMC at Pinkham for conditions.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA