Internet sources on skating technique?

Old July 14th 08, 05:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ziggy99

Default Internet sources on skating technique?

Just had my first skating lesson (coming from BC/tele background) and
the instructor provided a heap of info on combo's of poling/striding/
gliding. Bit hard to take it all in.

Can anyone point me to a web source to study for homework?

TIA
Old July 15th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Jul 13, 11:13*pm, ziggy99 wrote:
Just had my first skating lesson (coming from BC/tele background) and
the instructor provided a heap of info on combo's of poling/striding/
gliding. *Bit hard to take it all in.

Can anyone point me to a web source to study for homework?

TIA

I think watching good skiers helps technique - Here's a link to a few
video clips:

http://thesimplesecrets.com/ms.html

Also, you can find some clips on "You Tube".

Jim
Old July 15th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ziggy99

On Jul 15, 1:24*pm, wrote:
On Jul 13, 11:13*pm, ziggy99 wrote:

Just had my first skating lesson (coming from BC/tele background) and
the instructor provided a heap of info on combo's of poling/striding/
gliding. *Bit hard to take it all in.

Can anyone point me to a web source to study for homework?

TIA

I think *watching good skiers helps technique - Here's a link to a few
video clips:

http://thesimplesecrets.com/ms.html

Also, you can find some clips on "You Tube".

Jim

Thanks Jim.

Is there anything simpler out there? (I have googled without
success). Eg. I don't know what V2 means and it appears that the
language is changing. My instructor was talking about 1-2-1, 3-1 etc.

I noticed some interesting DVDs out there but Amazon won't post them
to Australia.

Cheers,

Ern
Old July 16th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gunde

On Jul 15, 1:29*pm, ziggy99 wrote:
On Jul 15, 1:24*pm, wrote:

[...]

Ern- Hide quoted text -

From just a quick web search, here are some technique sites:
http://www.roberts-1.com/xcski/skate...n/v2/index.htm
http://www.nordicskiracer.com/trainingtechnique.asp

and these are technique videos I like:
http://gear-west.stores.yahoo.net/newsiseofsk.html
http://gear-west.stores.yahoo.net/uscrtefu.html
http://gear-west.stores.yahoo.net/nosktedvd.html

Tell you what Ern, pay my way down and I will bring my many DVDs AND
give you lessons all day long!
Thinking about skiing when its 36C here in Colorado is nice.

Your instructor's 1-2-1-2 is called V2 or One Skate (skate, double
pole, skate, pole)
3-1-1-3 is V1 or Offset (double pole with one ski plant, then glide
ski).

Skate gears are (in order of increasing speed):
diagonal V (herringbone with glide...or single-pole, skate, single-
pole, skate)
V1 or Offset
V2 or One Skate
V2 alternate or Two Skate (double pole, skate skate, double-pole,
skate, skate)
Skate without poles
downhill tuck

My overly-simple one-line answer to improving technique is to ski
without poles. Watching instructional videos
and then watching videos of yourself will help alot.
Old July 16th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ziggy99

That's v. helpful; thanks Gunde.

I'd be happy to sponsor your trip to Oz and can reciprocate by
offering you tele lessons over your way next season ;-}

Off to practice today.

Cheers,

Ern
Old July 16th 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gunde

On Jul 16, 12:12*pm, ziggy99 wrote:
That's v. helpful; thanks Gunde.

I'd be happy to sponsor your trip to Oz and can reciprocate by
offering you tele lessons over your way next season ;-}

Off to practice today.

Cheers,

Ern

I like it!
But after record setting snow depths here in Dec-Jan-Feb, next season
may have to be thin to make up for it.
Here are our local trails http://gmnc.info and downhill ski area
www.powderhorn.com
Old July 17th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Sarissa

ziggy99 wrote:
Just had my first skating lesson (coming from BC/tele background) and
the instructor provided a heap of info on combo's of poling/striding/
gliding. Bit hard to take it all in.

Can anyone point me to a web source to study for homework?

TIA

Terminology from the Australian point of view is a bit different but
this could be a good insight into what the instructors (should?) be
putting to you:

http://ski.itrundle.com/techniques/freestyle.html

sarissa
Old July 17th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Two helpful videos on YouTube.

CANSI Keith Nichols Free skate lesson:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brGZlZkCwyk

CANSI "Ski Your Best" video (pre-release version):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+countr y+ski
(first 15 mins is mixed skate/classic to show basic motions, then
skating section starts).

Gene

Old July 18th 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
dardruba[_2_]

Terminology from the Australian point of view is a bit different but
this could be a good insight into what the instructors (should?) be
putting to you:

http://ski.itrundle.com/techniques/freestyle.html
sarissa

Great. Thanks for introducing us to this.
Old July 19th 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ziggy99

Thanks Gene and Sarissa.

I'd forgotten about Trundle. Used to study it for telemark turning
technique.