Ski length question for GS skis

Old January 15th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Grinch

Default Ski length question for GS skis

I'm a former collegiate ski racer but haven't run gates in 20 years. I
still ski at a high level on all-terrain K2 181cm skis. However, I
want to do a little bit of racing for fun and need some actual GS skis
to be competitive. I'm looking for some used skis online.

My problem is this...I don't know what to buy and more importantly,
what length to get. "Back in the day" it was easy...I always skiied in
the 202-205cm range. Now I'm comfortable on my 181's for all mountain
mostly off-piste but I don't know anything about modern racing skis.

I'm 5'11" 185 and ski aggressvile for an old guy (40 something).

Any guidance appreciated.

'Grinch

Old January 15th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Grinch wrote:
I'm a former collegiate ski racer but haven't run gates in 20 years. I
still ski at a high level on all-terrain K2 181cm skis. However, I
want to do a little bit of racing for fun and need some actual GS skis
to be competitive. I'm looking for some used skis online.

My problem is this...I don't know what to buy and more importantly,
what length to get. "Back in the day" it was easy...I always skiied in
the 202-205cm range. Now I'm comfortable on my 181's for all mountain
mostly off-piste but I don't know anything about modern racing skis.

I'm 5'11" 185 and ski aggressvile for an old guy (40 something).

Any guidance appreciated.

'Grinch

demo is what you will be told.

I would guess about 181 to 183 range I am 5'8" 180 started on atomic 181
GS11 and last year got a pair of 171 GS11. The 171 are easier to work
about gates than the 181. The 181 are fun to ski on and depending on
course layout are sometimes a better choice.

I had a chance to do two runs with a 70 year old 5' 5" 160 lbs
downhiller on 183cm GS stock race ski's which he paid 50 dollars for.
We talked medical stories on the way up on the lift. I chased him down
Canyon trail at Mt Snow, this guy flew. The quietest skis's I have ever
seen or not heard. No snow trails no noise he just went carving one side
of trail to other side.
Old January 16th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Larix Laricina

Just don't let your male ego influence your choice of length and you will be
fine. I.e., don't go long just 'cause your buddies are doing it. I'm not a
real racer - strictly a beer league hack - so bear that in mind.
Nevertheless, I see so many guys out there who would be having a lot more
fun and skiing rounder, cleaner turns if their skis were 10cm shorter. I'm
135lbs, 5'7", race on a 170 and often wish it were a 165. Try a 175 and if
you really don't like that try a 180. I would be surprised if you really
want more ski than that.

For non-hard-core skis you can race but still have fun on, Fischer World Cup
RC, Nordica Dobermann RC, and the Volkl Racetiger GS "cheater" ski - the one
with the tail width in the 95mm range, not the FIS-legal one with the narrow
tail - are all worth trying, for a starter list. I'm pretty sure these
models haven't changed much - beyond graphics - in the last three years or
so they're good eBay targets. My two cents only.

oups.com...

Old January 16th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Grinch

Larix Laricina wrote:
[...]

Ego not an issue. I want the right length but no longer know what that
is because of the changes in ski design. None of my friends race
anymore. I'm totally out of the race scene.

What length are the World Cup guys skiing in GS ?

Old January 19th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

"Grinch" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a former collegiate ski racer but haven't run gates in 20 years. I
still ski at a high level on all-terrain K2 181cm skis. However, I
want to do a little bit of racing for fun and need some actual GS skis
to be competitive. I'm looking for some used skis online.

My problem is this...I don't know what to buy and more importantly,
what length to get. "Back in the day" it was easy...I always skiied in
the 202-205cm range. Now I'm comfortable on my 181's for all mountain
mostly off-piste but I don't know anything about modern racing skis.

I'm 5'11" 185 and ski aggressvile for an old guy (40 something).

Any guidance appreciated.

I really like my 178cm Fischer GS (I'm 5'9 and 175 lbs). I also own a pair
of the Fischer SL in 156cm. They are both awesome. For the GS, the turn
radius is FIS legal in any size (178, 183, and 188). I went shorter because
I wanted the radius closest to 21m. :-)

Check out:

http://www.raceskis.com/

You can pick up a brand new pair (2006 model) of the Fisher GS (race stock -
look for fischerwcgs06) for $375. I have purchsed skies from these guys.
They are good.
--
Marty