Bode now only 2 WC wins behind Phil Mahre total...

Old January 17th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

Default Bode now only 2 WC wins behind Phil Mahre total...

MichaelJP wrote:
"mdR" wrote in message
ups.com...

MichaelJP wrote:
"alf" ask@me wrote in message
. ..
Marty wrote:
http://www.usskiteam.com/public/news...&sN=1&aId=2586

Soon, Phil will be more than two behind Bode.

is there any place I can watch this on-line - the finish was amazing

Amazing race, remarkable how many skiers crossed the line and crashed,
even
many of the ones who didn't crash were somewhat out of control with legs
turned to jelly

A real test that Wengen course, congrats to Miller for full-on attacking
every inch of the Lauberhorn.

Kitzbuhel coming up!

Are these races televised on any station in the u.s. (midwest)?

Dunno, I'm from the UK where they are all on live.

Whenever I visit the US I can't find ski racing anywhere on TV, isn't it
very popular over there?

Every 4 years it gets popular for about a week. Then it's back to
NASCAR, golf, baseball, basketball, football, hunting, fishing, and
bull riding.

I was once in Park City when the Kitzbuhel race was
on, and couldn't find anywhere to watch it, despite hundreds of channels and
many seemingly pointless sports being televised to absurd extents!

Sad isn't it?
--
Marty
God Bless America

Old January 17th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MichaelJP

"Marty" wrote in message
ups.com...
MichaelJP wrote:
"mdR" wrote in message
ups.com...

MichaelJP wrote:
"alf" ask@me wrote in message
. ..
Marty wrote:
[...]

I just don't understand it. Is it because there aren't enough measurable
stats in ski racing?

I find watching the world's top 10 tackle the more extreme downhills one of
the most exciting and enjoyable sports tv that there is! And it doesn't take
up 4 hours at the weekend. Oh maybe that's the point.

Old January 17th 07, 03:48 PM
WCSN_Ski WCSN_Ski is offline
Junior Member

Currently, WCSN (www.wcsn.com) has the rights to broadcast the entire FIS season via live, same-day delay and on-demand video, but only in the United States.

Alpine Schedule:

http://wcsn.com/schedule/index.jsp?s=34032&e=fis_sched

Article on Bode's Wengen Win and link to the video:

http://wcsn.com/article/news.jsp?ymd...id=34032&dpre=

Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdR
On Jan 16, 9:08 am, "MichaelJP" wrote:
"mdR" wrote in oglegroups.com...

MichaelJP wrote:
"alf" ask@me wrote in message
. ..
Marty wrote:
http://www.usskiteam.com/public/news...&sN=1&aId=2586

Soon, Phil will be more than two behind Bode.

is there any place I can watch this on-line - the finish was amazing

Amazing race, remarkable how many skiers crossed the line and crashed,
even
many of the ones who didn't crash were somewhat out of control with legs
turned to jelly

A real test that Wengen course, congrats to Miller for full-on attacking
every inch of the Lauberhorn.

Kitzbuhel coming up!

Are these races televised on any station in the u.s. (midwest)?Dunno, I'm from the UK where they are all on live.

Whenever I visit the US I can't find ski racing anywhere on TV, isn't it
very popular over there? I was once in Park City when the Kitzbuhel race was
on, and couldn't find anywhere to watch it, despite hundreds of channels and
many seemingly pointless sports being televised to absurd extents!

yeah, kind of amazing... it's all about the money, which is too bad.
Some of the crap they televise... WCSN claims to broadcast on US
channels, but I can't find where that programming is available. I
would pay for it if I could. I think you can get video replays from
subscribing to wcsn online, but I much prefer live. Oh well...
Old January 18th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

MichaelJP wrote:
"Marty" wrote in message
Sad isn't it?

I just don't understand it. Is it because there aren't enough measurable
stats in ski racing?

I think here in the US, ski racing is a fairly exclusive sport. How
many folks on this ng love to ski? I'd guess 99%. How many of the
folks on this ng participate in any kind of racing or running gates?
I'd guess about 20%. Not many people are gonig to take their chance to
ski for a day and then go stand at a start gate over and over skiing
the same part of the mountain or hill all day long, turning around
poles. If you've never tried it, it seems limited and boring.
Skier-cross has been introduced because it puts people head to head in
a park like race course with jumps and berms. It's racing, but it's
more appealing to the non-racing skier. Plus, the crashing is cooler
because it involved people crashing into each other.

There is no real money to be made as good World Cup ski racer. Only
the greatest make the big bucks and it's still nothing compared to a
great NFL Football player. To really make it in ski racing, mom and
dad have to throw tons of cash and tons of time towards Jr. to support
his/her racing and training. Race day SL, GS, SG, and DH skis, plus
training versions of all those skis, plus somebody has to tune all
those skis (tools, wax, tons of time). Then there is the clothing. DH
suit, GS suit, protective gear, etc. **** it expensive! It's all very
expensive. Then you have travel expense and time. Coaching fees,
entry fees, lift tickets for the racer and you and maybe the rest of
your family. Okay, this is the extreme, but this is how you make it
big in ski racing. So, it's exclusive and thus it's not very popular
here in the US. It's much easier and still lots of fun to own one pair
of untuned skis, get up Saturday morning, drive to the area, free ski,
and go home. Who cares about ski racing?

Well, that's some of my thoughts on the subject.
--
Marty

Old January 19th 07, 07:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MichaelJP

"Marty" wrote in message
oups.com...
MichaelJP wrote:
"Marty" wrote in message
[...]

OK, but the argument doesn't really hold up, after all, loads of people
watch motor racing who don't race or even drive fast, likewise motorcycle
racing.

I ski but have never raced except for the occasional timed run on the NASTAR
thing.

Old January 19th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
alf

MichaelJP wrote:

OK, but the argument doesn't really hold up, after all, loads of people
watch motor racing who don't race or even drive fast, likewise motorcycle
racing.

where did you find MotoGP in any of US TV channel?

A.
Old January 19th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

MichaelJP wrote:
"Marty" wrote in message
oups.com...
MichaelJP wrote:
"Marty" wrote in message
[...]

It's simply not a sport that most people in the US can relate to. I've
given you my thoughts on why I think that is the case. Mostly time and
expense. It's not an argument, just my thoughts. Ski racing here is a
pretty small world. Other sports in the US (basketball, football,
baseball) are SO much more available to the the general public. If
every school had a ski hill out back, like they have baseball diamonds,
basketball courts, and football fields; then yea, it would be a lot
bigger. But that is simply not the case. No matter how good Bode and
Julia and Resi and Steve and all the rest do, it's just not followed
because you have the media pushing the other crap. Most don't know who
our ski racers are until an Olympic year rolls around. Then it all
just gets stupid. When I lived in MN, not a single co-worked of mine
knew who Kristina Koznick was.
--
Marty

Old January 19th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MichaelJP

"alf" ask@me wrote in message
. ..
MichaelJP wrote:

OK, but the argument doesn't really hold up, after all, loads of people
watch motor racing who don't race or even drive fast, likewise motorcycle
racing.

where did you find MotoGP in any of US TV channel?

I didn't, I'm based in the UK but am over the US quite often.

Old January 20th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
alf

MichaelJP wrote:
"alf" ask@me wrote in message
. ..

MichaelJP wrote:

OK, but the argument doesn't really hold up, after all, loads of people
watch motor racing who don't race or even drive fast, likewise motorcycle
racing.

where did you find MotoGP in any of US TV channel?

I didn't, I'm based in the UK but am over the US quite often.

Speaking of MotoGP yet, even though an American, Nicky Hayden won a most
prestigious MotoGP this year after 7 years ruled by an Italian, I guess
there is no chance to see even short reports on the public TV here.

A.
Old January 21st 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

"alf" ask@me wrote in message
. ..
MichaelJP wrote:
"alf" ask@me wrote in message
. ..

MichaelJP wrote:

OK, but the argument doesn't really hold up, after all, loads of people
watch motor racing who don't race or even drive fast, likewise
motorcycle racing.

where did you find MotoGP in any of US TV channel?

I didn't, I'm based in the UK but am over the US quite often.

Speaking of MotoGP yet, even though an American, Nicky Hayden won a most
prestigious MotoGP this year after 7 years ruled by an Italian, I guess
there is no chance to see even short reports on the public TV here.

Correct.
--
Marty