G3 vs. BD

Old December 3rd 04, 09:55 PM
ChrisSG

Default G3 vs. BD

Since Google searches are overwhelmed by online retailers, its actually
hard to find good beta on skins...

So, I am soliciting opinions, informed or otherwise on

G3 skins vs. BD Ascension (Glidelite or newer Clipfix).

Not to restrict any discussion, but I plan to marry these skins to
lightweight touring rig, waxable base, 84-67-90 (something like that
anyways). Plan on covering ground in the mountains rather than a strict
yo-yo rig.

Thoughts?
Old December 4th 04, 06:48 PM
ChrisSG

Bob Lee wrote:
I was just involved in an email list dissussion about this exact topic.
Unfortunately the web site telemarktips.com seems to be down right now,
but there is a relatively current review of the BD Clipfix vs. G3s on
that site at:
http://www.telemarktips.com/SkinRev.html

The discussion forum on that site has a lot of threads on skins and a
search function - when it's working, that is.

Right. Seems to be up right now, but I had no luck yesterday, hence the
post. Isn't it a sacriledge on usenet to point to a web b.b. ?

clip clip snip snip

Bottom line, you probably won't go far wrong with either, though I get a
lot of comfort from my experience with BD's service. You might just
look for the best price.

BTW, given your planned use, have you considered just using kicker
skins?

Bob

Bob

Quick question:

1) Glidelight vs. clipfix? (I froogled up a relatively good deal on a
glidelite attachement system ... probably last year's ?)

Also: nae to kicker skins. Will be skiing up steep trails... the kind
that people will say "you can only do this in snowshoes". For more
gentle, rolling terrain, I have wax.
Old December 5th 04, 03:30 PM
ChrisSG

Bob Lee wrote:
ChrisSG wrote:

Also: nae to kicker skins. Will be skiing up steep trails... the kind
that people will say "you can only do this in snowshoes". For more
gentle, rolling terrain, I have wax.

Going big, good man.

Bob

Ya, without wanting to talk **** too much, I have a massive and
irrational prejudice / chip on my shoulder about snowshoes. I think it
started sometime in the mid-nineties when new, expensive snowshoes
really got heavily marketed... maybe I reacted badly to pictures of
eXtreME snowshoers flailing about in deep snow or to the drive to
extract hundreds of dollars out of people's pockets for no good
reason... anyways, I then began to make it my mission to prove that
"anything you can snowshoe, I can ski better"... of course, this has led
to me eating **** big time on more than one occasion. Anyways, there I
go again, talking ****...

Incidently the "review" article up on telemarktips is nice but
frustrating: it definetly suffers from what drives me a little batty
about many outdoor gear reviews: a sort of "everybody's special"
attitude. Frikin' hippies! I guess the bc skiing community is so small
that you have to play nice, but damn, sometimes I crave heavily
opionated, even borderline offensive commentary. Hence usenet, right?

FWIW I think I'll pick up the Glidelites... who could resist the blue
cow print? It will match my outfit, to be sure, and provide a nice
contrast against the blood spewing from my open chest as I twitch
helplessly, impaled by a spruce as smug snowshoers waddle past, shaking
their heads ....
Old December 6th 04, 01:24 PM
ChrisSG

Bob Lee wrote:

Heh. That, and the site depends pretty heavily on the sponsors...and
both companies are sponsors. I see the place as a gathering of shiny
happy people. After any sort of disagreement a fast, heartfelt group
hug is pretty much an institution.

but damn, sometimes I crave heavily
opionated, even borderline offensive commentary. Hence usenet, right?

No sponsors here, so...your mom uses G3 skins.

Actually ... sigh I bought her a pair of MSR snowshoes a few winters
back and she loves them. But, whatevah, she's 63 years old, so I'll cut
her a little slack. In her defense, she put me on skis when I was 5 and
got my brother and I into mountaineering and rock climbing when we were
a little bit older.

Hell, your sexual
identity is called into question for even using skins - just walk up the
damn hill...or get a snowmachine!

You mean, people will think that I'm joking about the sheep?

Old December 6th 04, 07:49 PM
Booker C. Bense