Car rental for Tahoe

Old February 21st 04, 11:18 PM
george

Default Car rental for Tahoe

I'd like to rent an SUV for a Tahoe, then Mammoth trip next week (snow
expected) from the Bay Area. Question: Where can I get an SUV
equipped with snow tires? Or, do I just need to carry chains? The
rental agencies in SF are not much help, but I'd be willing to rent
anywhere on the way to Tahoe.
thanks
Old February 23rd 04, 07:56 PM
lal_truckee

george wrote:

I'd like to rent an SUV for a Tahoe, then Mammoth trip next week (snow
expected) from the Bay Area. Question: Where can I get an SUV
equipped with snow tires? Or, do I just need to carry chains? The
rental agencies in SF are not much help, but I'd be willing to rent
anywhere on the way to Tahoe.
thanks

You can't rent an SUV WITHOUT mud and snow tires. All tires except some
speciality tires are now M&S labeled and meet gov standards. If you have
an 4x4, you won't have to use chains - road will close before chains are
required on a 4x4. However, legally you need to carry chains and they
might ask to see them; It happened ONCE to someone I know in 50 years;
I'd judge you were safe to proceed without chains but the possibility of
being turned back does exist, however remote.

BTW, SUVs are ridiculously expensive to rent - I'd rent a front wheel
drive and buy chains if it looked like chains were requird. About $29
for the chains. Plus $20 to put them on, if you don't want to deal with
them.