European resort suggestions?

Old April 27th 04, 04:59 PM
Deuchars

Default European resort suggestions?

Hi,

I'm trying to arrange a group skiing holiday (for 6-10 people) for Jan 2005
to somewhere in Europe and am looking for some pointers as to where to go
etc.

a) Have I come to the right place?
b) Are there any good forums for this sort of stuff?

I've been skiing a few times - I'm no expert but am totally addicted to it.
Managed to drag my wife to Mayerhofen a year or so ago and it was fantastic.
Everyone else in the group has never been before and I've been raving on
about how good a group holiday would be for years, so don't want to let them
down.

Looking for somewhere along the lines of Mayerhofen, possibly in France /
Switzerland / Bulgaria. Nothing too expensive (looking £500-600 each for
everything, apart from spending money).

We're all aged 25-35 if that's of any help?

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Andy

Old April 27th 04, 05:16 PM
Walt

Deuchars wrote:

I'm trying to arrange a group skiing holiday (for 6-10 people) for Jan 2005
to somewhere in Europe and am looking for some pointers as to where to go
etc.

a) Have I come to the right place?
b) Are there any good forums for this sort of stuff?

You might get better results in rec.skiing.resorts.europe, but it
doesn't hurt to ask here - some of us are quite knowledgeable about
European skiing. Unfortunately, I'm not part of that "some".

--
//-Walt
//
Old April 27th 04, 05:51 PM
Deuchars

I'm trying to arrange a group skiing holiday (for 6-10 people) for Jan
2005
to somewhere in Europe and am looking for some pointers as to where to

go
etc.

a) Have I come to the right place?
b) Are there any good forums for this sort of stuff?

You might get better results in rec.skiing.resorts.europe, but it
doesn't hurt to ask here - some of us are quite knowledgeable about
European skiing. Unfortunately, I'm not part of that "some".

Cheers - considered that but this group looked more active and I didn't want
to x-post :-). I'll drop the same question there though...

Ta,

Andy

Old April 28th 04, 03:42 PM
Blake

"Deuchars" wrote in message
I'm trying to arrange a group skiing holiday (for 6-10 people) for Jan

2005
to somewhere in Europe and am looking for some pointers as to where to

go
etc.

a) Have I come to the right place?
b) Are there any good forums for this sort of stuff?

You might get better results in rec.skiing.resorts.europe, but it
doesn't hurt to ask here - some of us are quite knowledgeable about
European skiing. Unfortunately, I'm not part of that "some".

Cheers - considered that but this group looked more active and I didn't

want
to x-post :-). I'll drop the same question there though...

Ta,

Andy

I would recommend going to http://www.outdoorreview.com for a review
of ski resorts in Europe. I used it a couple years back when planning
a trip to Europe for six of us. We ended up deciding on Chamonix,
which I would highly recommend. But, that was my first and only time
skiing in Europe so I don't have a lot to compare it to.
Old April 29th 04, 01:21 PM
Johannes

Site from Swiss Tourismus: www.myswitzerland.com

I've been skiing a few times - I'm no expert but am totally addicted to it.
Managed to drag my wife to Mayerhofen a year or so ago and it was fantastic.
Everyone else in the group has never been before and I've been raving on
about how good a group holiday would be for years, so don't want to let them
down.

More easy slopes? Than i would say
Lenzerheide/Vallbella(www.lenzerheide.ch) or
Soerenberg(www.soerenberg.ch)

Looking for somewhere along the lines of Mayerhofen, possibly in France /
Switzerland / Bulgaria. Nothing too expensive (looking £500-600 each for
everything, apart from spending money).

January is a good time for packages. All Resorts in switzerland got
them.
They include normaly for a week: 7 Nights, Halfboard, 6 dayticket.
Note: At some larger aeras, get you with the cheapest Package only
Tickets for a part of the slopes(Zermatt as example only vor the
Little Matterhorn)

We're all aged 25-35 if that's of any help?

Night life?
Even the smalest village got a Disco or a Pup.

Johannes
Old May 11th 04, 11:05 AM
Rich

Hi,

It kind of depends on your level. I'm assuming go to Europe your party will
be fairly advanced serious skiers. I did a season ski teching in Val d'Isere
and it rocked! Great off piste, tree runs, couloirs etc and all thep iste
skiing you can shake a stick at!

www.valdisere.com

on the downside it is pretty expensive, january weather is quite often iffy.
I usually go last week of Jan & first week of feb, just missing UK and
French half term holidays which kick in from about the 14th Feb usually....
Try and avoid these times as you'll spend all your time dodging kids and
queueing for lifts!

Also, meribel/courcheval/val thorens colelctively known as the three valleys
is the biggest ski area in Europe. Courcheval is pricey, meribel is less
pricey and more lively, val thorens is ugly but has the best skiing!

Outside of France i can only comment on the Tirol valley in Austria. i
stayed at mayrhofen which was suprisingly small....could ski most of the
system comfortably on the first day, but there is a free bus to the numerous
resorts up and down the valley. At the head of the valley is the Hintertux
glacier which was awesome when we were there.....safe 45 degree long flat
pitches with nice snow.

hope some of that helped

Rich

"Blake" wrote in message