Custom Footbeds

Old January 7th 04, 10:37 PM
Mystiko

Default Custom Footbeds

I'm considering buying a pair of ski boots prior to my upcoming skiing
trip. This'll be my third trip, and whilst I've not really had any
problems with hired boots previously, would like a pair of my own for
the extra comfort and performance they would hopefully give.

What I'm wondering though, is how important are custom footbeds in a
new pair of boots, are they as essential, or make as much difference,
as the brochures I have (Ellis Brigham and Snow&Rock from here in the
UK) would seem to suggest, or are they more a luxury or for those who
regular suffer from feet/joint/limb problems?

I will take advice in the shop when I buy any boots of course, but I'd
be interested in any impartial advise, especially when you consider
the cost of these footbeds could add around 25% to the cost of the
kind of boots that I'm looking at (mid-range boots for intermediate
skier).

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Old January 8th 04, 01:11 AM
Dhillus

I don't know whether they're worthwhile for everyone, but my experience is that
a pair of boots with custom footbeds worked much better than old boots that
didn't have them. Of course, it might be that the new shoes were better boots.
And I know they fit much better -- to put it more precisely, they fit. They
either fit or don't when it comes to ski boots. "Almost fit" is like being
"almost pregnant." No such thing.

In any case, you're wise to consider buying your own boots. In addition to the
convenience, you're guaranteed to have your fit available. And after a while,
you'll save money. You needn't spend a lot. Especially on your third or fourth
ski trip, you don't need expensive boots -- but you need a pair that fit.

A couple other considerations: Custom beds are made of hard material and won't
pack down over time. The beds many boots come with are soft and do compress,
meaning the boots won't fit after a while -- though that might be different in
some makes and models. Also, you can usually transfer the beds to your next
pair of boots. Finally, my hunch is that, with some significant exceptions,
custom footbeds are sold by the shops with the best boot fitters.

I have no idea what the situation in Europe is, but you might consider not
buying until you're in the mountains. While it might seem you'd pay more, you
might find shops that will let you ski in the boots and bring them back and
exchange them for another size or model if you're having problems. If you buy
in your snow- and mountain-free city, you're stuck -- at least until your trip
is over and you're back home.
Old January 8th 04, 02:07 AM
mark

"Mystiko" wrote ...
[...]

A properly made set of custom footbeds will make any properly fitted ski
boot feel better and ski better. A poorly made custom footbed will do
absolutely nothing, for about the same price as the properly made footbeds.
Talk to people who have had footbeds made by a particular shop before you
give that shop your money.

I don't know if they're available in the UK or not, but here in the US
Superfeet offer a very good pre-molded footbed for about US$30. I (and
others) use them for running, hiking, and in my everyday shoes; they are
very effective in ski boots as well. The last time I bought a pair they were
called Energizers, the name may have changed. These would be a very good
alternative for anyone who skis less than 20-30 days a year. If you try them
and still want a custom footbed, you can always put them in a normal pair of
shoes and get custom footbeds for your ski boots.
--
mark

Old January 8th 04, 01:44 PM
Ian Wilson

I would recommend that you do go for some kind of support underneath your
feet. A footbed will:

a) eliminate the tension underneath the arch which can manifest itself if
left unsupported,
b) prevent the foot from rolling inwards (pronating) therefore stoping the
toes from splaying out,
c) hold the heel back in the boot thus giving a bit more room in front of
the toes.

The question is whether it is worthwhile going for the custom made foot bed
or just the off-the-shelf superfeet version.

Generally, the superfeet footbed is fine for those in the lower half of the
skiing ability range and the custom jobby for the upper half. You will,
however, have a much more personalised fit and feel with the custom footbed,
because it has been moulded to your foot so will provide support where your
foot needs it and won' t where it doesn't.

I would recommend going to a shop where the staff are well trained and at
least try the boots with the superfeet and see what a difference it makes to
boots without. A custom footbed is like the icing on the cake. You're right
in that you can always get the boots and have footbeds fitted at a later
date.

Superfeet footbeds are £31.95 and 'Conformable' Custom Footbeds are £45.90
at Snow+Rock including heel stabiliser.

With a pair of boots that are going to cost you £170-200 it's not that much
more to ensure that you can ski all day, in comfort.

Ian.

PS, I do fit boots @ S+R Chertsey so this probably seems like spam but I've
got superfeet in my ski boots (Salomon x-wave 7.0, I'm a low intermediate
skier myself) and i can honestly say that they are so comfortable that i can
walk aound in them done up all day. And i bought them from S+R BEFORE I
started working for them. As soon as I can afford to I will be getting
customs done.

custom vs custom X copek Snowboarding 0 April 29th 04 01:23 PM
Custom Footbeds Mystiko Alpine Skiing 2 January 9th 04 11:30 PM
Custom Made Nordic Ski Boots??? Chase66 Nordic Skiing 1 December 29th 03 11:27 PM
2001 burton custom graphics peeling Wyatt Wong Snowboarding 3 December 9th 03 12:31 PM
Custom Boot Liners Burt Hwang Alpine Skiing 1 November 24th 03 05:52 PM