heat molding Salomon liners

Old March 15th 05, 03:58 PM

Default heat molding Salomon liners

Can anyone either give me instructions or direct me to a place with
instructions on how to heat mold Salomon liners yourself? I have a new
pair of Malamutes and don't want to take them in to have it done.

Old March 16th 05, 05:02 PM
lonerider

Can anyone either give me instructions or direct me to a place with
instructions on how to heat mold Salomon liners yourself? I have a

new
pair of Malamutes and don't want to take them in to have it done.

Hi, if you go to groups.google.com and do a search for "molding liners"
and sort by date, you will find some posts Mike made a while back on
how to do it. He basically modified the process for home baking
Thermoflex/Intuition liners
(
http://www.yyzcanuck.com/E_tech_cooking.htm)

Basically bake the liners in a convection oven (uses hot air instead of
heating elements that glow red) 180 F for about 10 mins (I'm giving you
the lower temperate/time ranges he mentioned). Before that put on your
socks and a toecap (this is optional as it just give you more toeroom
you can cut off the toe of a booty or a thick sock). When the liners
are ready, one by one quickly take them out of the over put them into
the boot, put your foot in and strap up the boot. The liners should be
warm, but not hot. Walk around for 15 minutes while they cool and you
should be done.

Old March 16th 05, 09:23 PM
beekay beekay is offline
Junior Member

You could try putting them in a preheated oven at about 200 degrees (or "warm")

You put one in and wait about 5 minutes then put the other in. each one should not be in there longer than 10 minutes. You will also want to make sure that the liners are made to be heat fitted (moulded).

I just had a pair of telemark boots fitted and man what a difference over my Burton Ruler SI boot fitment.
here is what they did for me:

1.Take the footbet out of the liner
2. Take the liner out of the boot.
3. put the liners in the heat box or oven (lowest temperature) about 5 minutes apart (allows you to fit one while the other is still cooking).
4. take off your socks and get a pair of thin dress socks. This next part will require some thinking. You are going to make a "toe cap". this will make the boot pack down a bit more around your toes, allowing a more comfortable fit when you are riding. you can try to use another thin sock that you will wrap around your toes, or a cut up tshirt in the proper shape that will be ductaped to resemble a 1/8 inch thick cap that your toes will go in. it will go from the tip of your toes to just about the ball of the foot.
5. step on the footbed and then put the cap over the end of your foot (over the footbed) then put on the thin sock and pull it tight getting out all the wrinkles. Do this for both feet.
6. check on those liners! they should get pliable and warm.
7. Take the first one out and carefully slide your foot in with your toes pointing up towards your knee (not curled). put on the boot and stomp down 3 times hard. Quickly tighten the boot up nice and tight. your toes will feel snug in there because of the cap.
8. do the same for the other foot.

9. Stand in a snowboarding stance for about 10 minutes. this will set the flex. you could do this by strapping into your board and make like you are going down hill.
10. wak around for 10 minutes.
11. take off the boot and all the stuff in your sock. put the liners back in and get on a pair of riding socks.
12. put the boots back on and tighten them up proper like.

You are now fitted, at least that is how it was done for my customer tele boots

Bill
disclaimer: i am not a pro, but did see one do this to me with the proper liners.
Old March 28th 05, 02:26 PM
Dean

beekay wrote:

You could try putting them in a preheated oven at about 200 degrees (or
"warm")

I tried this procedure on a Malmute liner on Sunday. It seems to have
worked fine. The heel seems to fit better. I may do it again before
leaving for Colorado on Saturday. Thank you for the info.

Dean
Old April 8th 05, 07:24 PM
Dean

I've had heel pain problems with my right (rear) foot. I heat molded the
right foot's liner of my Malamute boots before I left home for Winter
Park, CO. After three intense days this week of riding ice and
fantastic, untracked, fresh powder, I had zero heel problems, which is a
record. It was well worth the effort.

It was very difficult for me to leave CO. I waited a year for the chance
to ride fresh, untracked powder, and Monday night the weather delivered.

Dean