Lyon to Val d'isere

Old April 9th 04, 10:45 AM
Joe G

Default Lyon to Val d'isere

Any ideas / advice on best or least hassle way to travel to Val d'Isere from
Lyon? Hire car? Train to Bourg St. Maurice and then? Bus? etc. There's 2 of
us arriving BA scheduled Lyon around lunch time on Sat 17th April (can't be
arsed with the hassle of a 4 - 5 hour transfer.)

Regards Joe

Old April 9th 04, 04:23 PM
PG

"Joe G" wrote in message
| Any ideas / advice on best or least hassle way to travel to Val
d'Isere from
| Lyon? Hire car? Train to Bourg St. Maurice and then? Bus? etc. There's
2 of
| us arriving BA scheduled Lyon around lunch time on Sat 17th April
(can't be
| arsed with the hassle of a 4 - 5 hour transfer.)
|
| Regards Joe

Lyon Val by train is hardly straightforward! And I'm not sure if you can
hire a car just for the drive up - doubt it somehow. A taxi is the only
alternative - I do have the number of a firm here in Bourg St Maurice
that sometimes will do a really good rate back, but only if they've been
hired to take someone down to Lyon in the morning. Otherwise it would
cost an arm and a leg.... Bus? Same problem as the coach transfers I
would have thought. Hire car for the week is the 'easy' option, but
hardly the cheapest!

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com

Old April 10th 04, 10:29 AM
Joe Hunt

"PG" wrote in message

"Joe G" wrote in message
| Any ideas / advice on best or least hassle way to travel to Val
d'Isere from
| Lyon? Hire car? Train to Bourg St. Maurice and then? Bus? etc. There's
2 of
| us arriving BA scheduled Lyon around lunch time on Sat 17th April
(can't be
| arsed with the hassle of a 4 - 5 hour transfer.)
|
| Regards Joe

Lyon Val by train is hardly straightforward! And I'm not sure if you can
hire a car just for the drive up - doubt it somehow. A taxi is the only
alternative - I do have the number of a firm here in Bourg St Maurice
that sometimes will do a really good rate back, but only if they've been
hired to take someone down to Lyon in the morning. Otherwise it would
cost an arm and a leg.... Bus? Same problem as the coach transfers I
would have thought. Hire car for the week is the 'easy' option, but
hardly the cheapest!

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com

Joe,

To be honest if you get caught behind a bus after BSM going up the mountain,
there's not much chance of overtaking so it will take just as much time to
get to Val !

Joe

Old April 13th 04, 07:42 AM
Ace

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:29:26 +0100, "Joe Hunt"
wrote:

"PG" wrote in message

"Joe G" wrote in message
| Any ideas / advice on best or least hassle way to travel to Val
d'Isere from
| Lyon? Hire car? Train to Bourg St. Maurice and then? Bus? etc. There's
2 of
| us arriving BA scheduled Lyon around lunch time on Sat 17th April
(can't be
| arsed with the hassle of a 4 - 5 hour transfer.)
|
| Regards Joe

Lyon Val by train is hardly straightforward! And I'm not sure if you can
hire a car just for the drive up - doubt it somehow. A taxi is the only
alternative - I do have the number of a firm here in Bourg St Maurice
that sometimes will do a really good rate back, but only if they've been
hired to take someone down to Lyon in the morning. Otherwise it would
cost an arm and a leg.... Bus? Same problem as the coach transfers I
would have thought. Hire car for the week is the 'easy' option, but
hardly the cheapest!

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com

Joe,

To be honest if you get caught behind a bus after BSM going up the mountain,
there's not much chance of overtaking so it will take just as much time to
get to Val !

Don't believe a word of it. A decently powerful car and some
rudimentary driving skills mean that I'd typically overtake anything I
encounter on the drive up and down.

Some of the apparently suicidal overtakes you see (mainly) locals
making are a result of knowing the road well enough to see round the
next bend and be certain that there's nothing approaching, hence
overtaking on a blind bend. Only where you've been able to see _all_
of the road ahean, obviously.

But be careful of the local fuzz. Got nicked for overtaking on a white
line just above Seez yesterday, and saw at least five other sets of
plod out, some with cameras, between there and Moutiers.

Some may see the irony of the two above statements being posted
together here :-}

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old April 13th 04, 09:30 AM
PG

"Ace" wrote in message
| On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:29:26 +0100, "Joe Hunt"
| wrote:

| But be careful of the local fuzz. Got nicked for overtaking on a white
| line just above Seez yesterday, and saw at least five other sets of
| plod out, some with cameras, between there and Moutiers.

Not one on the Moutiers/Bourg SM road around 5 - 5.30 pm, in either
direction. Speed trap in Menuires on way back from VT, that's all. Must
have all gone for an early aperitif.

Pete

Old April 13th 04, 11:25 AM
Ace

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:30:38 +0200, "PG"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .
| On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:29:26 +0100, "Joe Hunt"
| wrote:

| But be careful of the local fuzz. Got nicked for overtaking on a white
| line just above Seez yesterday, and saw at least five other sets of
| plod out, some with cameras, between there and Moutiers.

Not one on the Moutiers/Bourg SM road around 5 - 5.30 pm, in either
direction. Speed trap in Menuires on way back from VT, that's all. Must
have all gone for an early aperitif.

They were there, I assure you. It was around just that time that we
were passing through. Having been nicked once I was kinda
hypersensitive, like.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old April 13th 04, 12:51 PM
funkraum

Ace wrote:
[...]
But be careful of the local fuzz. Got nicked for overtaking on a white
line

[...]

Dammit ! The man's gone native !

Old April 13th 04, 12:55 PM
Ace

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:51:12 +0100, funkraum
wrote:

Ace wrote:

[...]
But be careful of the local fuzz. Got nicked for overtaking on a white
line

[...]

Dammit ! The man's gone native !

Heh. Thankfully I still have a Swiss licence, so no points to lose,
just the 90 Eu fine. Was almost worth it to see the flic's face when
my reaction to his lectures was basically "Well, I could see far
enough, so it was safe, and I'm buggered if a stupid white line's
gonna stop me doing it again.

Not in so many words, natch, but I don't think he was in any doubt
about the disdain in which I held him and his poxy silly little fine.
Thankfully they couldn't find a single thing wrong with the car,
despite their best efforts, so I considered it a 1-1 draw, with me
claiming the moral victory on away goals.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old April 13th 04, 05:01 PM
PG

"Ace" wrote in message
| On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:30:38 +0200, "PG"
| wrote:
|

| "Ace" wrote in message
| .. .
| | On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:29:26 +0100, "Joe Hunt"
| | wrote:
|

| | But be careful of the local fuzz. Got nicked for overtaking on a
white
| | line just above Seez yesterday, and saw at least five other sets of
| | plod out, some with cameras, between there and Moutiers.
|
| Not one on the Moutiers/Bourg SM road around 5 - 5.30 pm, in either
| direction. Speed trap in Menuires on way back from VT, that's all.
Must
| have all gone for an early aperitif.
|
| They were there, I assure you. It was around just that time that we
| were passing through. Having been nicked once I was kinda
| hypersensitive, like.

Still, as the French flash warnings like mad for virtually every speed
trap (the one in Menuires was no exception and a queue of traffic
consequently cruised through at a steady 49 kph) and my own radar is
particularly sensitive to the French boys in blue, they definitely
weren't there on my way home. Perhaps it was slightly earlier.

Old April 14th 04, 08:26 AM
Joe G

Thanks to all for your help and comment. All things considered I've decided
to walk !

Cheers - Joe