Dead skunk

Old September 11th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default Dead skunk

While we're all waiting around for the snow to fly, I was wondering if
you all could help me with some advice of a practical natu

It seems a skunk has crawled under my deck to die. He's been there for
over a week and hasn't moved (or if he has he's really good at resuming
his previous position.) I *think* he's dead, but I'm not really sure -
skunks being nocturnal creatures he might just be sleeping in the day -
and I don't want to come face to face with a nearly-dead skunk when I
pull the boards up to remove the critter.

So, how to make sure he's dead before going further? My wife suggested
poking him with a stick, but I'm not really in the mood for that. Any
other ideas?

Thanks. Gotta do something soon. The deck smells like somebody just
opened a Heinekin

//Walt
//

Old September 11th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Walt wrote:

[...]

High pressure water hose
I would use a bamboo pole with a hook "wire coat hanger" to pull it out
or determine % of life. 10 to 12 foot pole would keep critter at safe
distance.
Old September 11th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ron - NY

how about squirting him with the garden hose ? You could invite Scott over
to bore him to death but don't know where your located .

Ron

Old September 11th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

Ron - NY wrote:

You could invite Scott over

Walt and Scott COULD arrange for Scott to come over and 'meet' the
skunk...But he wouldn't show. No chance. :-)

Old September 11th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Ted Waldron wrote:
In article ,
Walt wrote:

While we're all waiting around for the snow to fly, I was wondering if
you all could help me with some advice of a practical natu

It seems a skunk has crawled under my deck to die. He's been there for
over a week and hasn't moved (or if he has he's really good at resuming
his previous position.) I *think* he's dead, but I'm not really sure -
skunks being nocturnal creatures he might just be sleeping in the day -
and I don't want to come face to face with a nearly-dead skunk when I
pull the boards up to remove the critter.

So, how to make sure he's dead before going further? My wife suggested
poking him with a stick, but I'm not really in the mood for that. Any
other ideas?

Thanks. Gotta do something soon. The deck smells like somebody just
opened a Heinekin

Go to the County Animal Shelter/Animal Control, ask for a box trap,
bait the trap set it underneath the deck near the skunk. Trap the
skunk, and either set if free somewhere else, or let County Animal
control deal with the hissing ****ed off skunk. (They probably won't
deal with it, hint, hint) Skunks like Raccoons are omnivores, but worms
are something they like to dig for.

Note that this will only work if the animal is alive.

Also note that if the animal is not alive, another
characteristic smell will begin to permeate your deck.
At which time I'd suggest a hook and body bag and a
trip to the local landfill.
Old September 11th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
Ted Waldron wrote:
Walt wrote:

[...]

I think you've hit the nub of the problem - I'd like to get the little
guy out of there *before* the next phase in the series of aromas
commences. If he was alive and moving I could scare him away like I've
done the last several times a skunk tried to make a den under there - no
need for a live trap, I can actually be annoying enough to chase away a
skunk just with my own devices. But he's not moving - the question is
how to be sure he's actually dead and not just ailing.

//Walt
Old September 11th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Walt wrote:

VtSkier wrote:
Ted Waldron wrote:
Walt wrote:

While we're all waiting around for the snow to fly, I was wondering
if you all could help me with some advice of a practical natu

It seems a skunk has crawled under my deck to die. He's been there
for over a week and hasn't moved (or if he has he's really good at
resuming his previous position.) I *think* he's dead, but I'm not
really sure - skunks being nocturnal creatures he might just be
sleeping in the day - and I don't want to come face to face with a
nearly-dead skunk when I pull the boards up to remove the critter.

So, how to make sure he's dead before going further? My wife
suggested poking him with a stick, but I'm not really in the mood for
that. Any other ideas?

You can see him? I would think that if he hasn't moved for a couple of
days that would be a dead (ha!) giveaway.

Go to the County Animal Shelter/Animal Control, ask for a box trap,
bait the trap set it underneath the deck near the skunk. Trap the
skunk, and either set if free somewhere else, or let County Animal
control deal with the hissing ****ed off skunk. (They probably won't
deal with it, hint, hint) Skunks like Raccoons are omnivores, but
worms are something they like to dig for.

What will they do if you tell them you have a dying skunk under your
porch? If it's a holiday or after hours the answer will probably be
"Nothing" but I would hope that the humane treatment of dying animals is
part of their charter at least during business hours.

Note that this will only work if the animal is alive.

Also note that if the animal is not alive, another
characteristic smell will begin to permeate your deck.
At which time I'd suggest a hook and body bag and a
trip to the local landfill.

I think you've hit the nub of the problem - I'd like to get the little
guy out of there *before* the next phase in the series of aromas
commences. If he was alive and moving I could scare him away like I've
done the last several times a skunk tried to make a den under there - no
need for a live trap, I can actually be annoying enough to chase away a
skunk just with my own devices.

I've heard that mothballs are a good way to keep skunks away. Are you
more annoying than mothballs? Bravo!

But he's not moving - the question is
how to be sure he's actually dead and not just ailing.

Got anybody who'll loan you a lady skunk for a few hours?

--
Cheers, Bev
Lawyering: the only profession that if you

Old September 11th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

The Real Bev wrote:

Walt wrote:

It seems a skunk has crawled under my deck to die.

Go to the County Animal Shelter/Animal Control,

What will they do if you tell them you have a dying skunk under your
porch?

I don't know. Probably either send out a crew and then send me a bill,
or tell me to call one of the many commercial animal control companies.
I live in a city and there are companies that do this stuff for a
living. I'm just too much of a cheapskate to pay $200 for something I
can do myself in a half hour. I'm sure you can relate.

I've heard that mothballs are a good way to keep skunks away. Are you
more annoying than mothballs? Bravo!

Maybe. I can tell you that Mothballs are more annoying than skunks. My
next door neighbor puts mothballs on his lawn - it smells a lot worse
than the dead skunk.

But he's not moving - the question is how to be sure he's actually
dead and not just ailing.

Got anybody who'll loan you a lady skunk for a few hours?

Well, I haven't gotten close enough to check the gender of the animal in
question, let alone question him/her on ...ahem... preferences. NTTAWWT.

I think I'm going to try hosing him down with the garden sprayer. At
least that way I'm 15' away if he sprays again. I'll keep the group
posted as to the results...

//Walt
//
// maybe I'll even measure him with a fractional caliper

Old September 11th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
Ted Waldron wrote:
Walt wrote:

[...]

A well-placed shotgun blast? You'll be sure.
Old September 11th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Walt wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Walt wrote:

It seems a skunk has crawled under my deck to die.

Go to the County Animal Shelter/Animal Control,

What will they do if you tell them you have a dying skunk under your
porch?

I don't know. Probably either send out a crew and then send me a bill,
or tell me to call one of the many commercial animal control companies.
I live in a city and there are companies that do this stuff for a
living. I'm just too much of a cheapskate to pay $200 for something I
can do myself in a half hour. I'm sure you can relate.

Indeed. I was surprised that beekeepers would charge money to pick up
something that they could actually use.

I've heard that mothballs are a good way to keep skunks away. Are you
more annoying than mothballs? Bravo!

Maybe. I can tell you that Mothballs are more annoying than skunks. My
next door neighbor puts mothballs on his lawn - it smells a lot worse
than the dead skunk.

But he's not moving - the question is how to be sure he's actually
dead and not just ailing.

Got anybody who'll loan you a lady skunk for a few hours?

Well, I haven't gotten close enough to check the gender of the animal in
question, let alone question him/her on ...ahem... preferences. NTTAWWT.

I think I'm going to try hosing him down with the garden sprayer. At
least that way I'm 15' away if he sprays again. I'll keep the group
posted as to the results...

Get one of those blaster nozzles with the 1/4" hole. Unless your water
pressure is worthless, you can be 50 or 60 feet away. Wasp spray will
shoot 20 or 30 feet.

// maybe I'll even measure him with a fractional caliper

Report back.

--
Cheers, Bev
"A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person

Dead and rotting Two Buddha Alpine Skiing 2 August 15th 06 08:56 PM
Dead and stinking Two Buddha Alpine Skiing 1 July 24th 06 09:06 PM
Still dead Two Buddha Alpine Skiing 1 June 13th 06 03:37 PM
Dead and stinking Two Buddha Alpine Skiing 0 January 3rd 06 08:26 PM
Dylan and the Dead bdubya Alpine Skiing 7 August 5th 03 08:04 PM