Self Catering in Zermatt

Old October 4th 05, 09:54 AM
SteveH

Default Self Catering in Zermatt

Hi all,
We are thinking of a trip to Zermatt in March. Never been there before,
so looking for some advice on where to stay. There'll be 4 of us so we
thought maybe an apartment would be better value than the hotels.

Can anyone recommend any apartments? I gather location is pretty
important in Zermatt so any tips would be appreciated. I've looked on
the Zermatt website and there are loads of places to stay - a case of
too much information rather than too little, so any criteria I could
use to whittle them down would be good.

If we don't do the apartment thing the Hotel Butterfly looked good -
seems to have decent write ups and is OK price-wise. Anyone been there?

Cheers,
Steve

Old October 4th 05, 11:57 AM
Richard and Barbara

The Butterfly is the hotel we recommend to friends. I do not think it will
disappoint you. You are correct about location being a critical factor in
Zermatt. We stay in an apartment in the middle of the village. There are
not many of them and they tend to be expensive. Some possibilities are :
Belvedere; Viktoria, and Emeline. Pardon the spelling. Two hotels with
superb locations, but a step down from Butterfly a Continental and Testa
Grigia.

Let us know if you need more information.

Richard

Old October 4th 05, 08:19 PM

Steve. I have not stayed at Hotel Butterfly. It looks quite nice. I
have stayed the past few times at a family run hotel called the Alpina.
The first time was 18 years ago. It is very slightly more basic , and
the prices reflect that. The people are nice and the food is good.

A slightly cheaper option is to book one of the smaller chalets. These
can be found on the zermatt website, and some fantastic deals can be
had for the smaller ones which can be say a 15 minute walk from the
centre, but situated right on a ski run. Have a look here :

http://www.zermatt.ch/e/accommodation/chalets.html the "refuge"
looks a bit interesting though!

Im trying to book this one which is well priced when shared between
four people :

http://www.interhome.co.uk/buchung/o....26.218&rdex=Y

There are loads out there, i find the smaller ones slightly more
attractive than the large hotel type chalets.

Good luck! Neville

Old October 4th 05, 08:52 PM
Pip Luscher

On 4 Oct 2005 02:54:18 -0700, "SteveH"
wrote:

If we don't do the apartment thing the Hotel Butterfly looked good -
seems to have decent write ups and is OK price-wise. Anyone been there?

Can't give any recommendations, just dim memories, but anything in the
Winkelmatten area (spelling?) will be cheaper. However, it's cheaper
because it is way up the hill away from the village centre and the
lifts. There is an electric bus that runs around the village, though.

Apparently it's cheaper to stay down the valley at Täsch but then you
have to take the train every day to Zermatt itself.

--
-Pip
Old October 5th 05, 09:20 PM
PSmith

I've skied Zermatt regularly for 20 years.

If you fancy an apartment, have a look at http://www.interhome.com/ If
you are prepared to wait, Interhome always slash the prices 7 days before
departure. Often the offers are only available via the Interhome.de website,
rather than the UK version. Last year I repeatedly refreshed the Interhome
website from 12.00pm (European Time) until finally at 2.00am the offers
appeared and I got a mega cheap deal for the Utoring apartment. I then was
committed to driving to Zermatt.

Good quality (reasonably priced) food in the Hotel Post restaurants
(Italian). Excellent cheap pizza (and beer) at the North Wall. Excellent
quality (expensive) food at Max Julen. Restaurants of all nationalities are
available (even a McDonalds).

For location, I suggest the central area rather than Winklematten. For
skiing I would suggest that you ignore the Gornergrat (slow) train and start
the day via Sunnega from where you can commute over to the Gornergrat area
( and then continue over to the Kl. Matterhorn and Schwarzsee). Sunnega is
near the central area. From most hotels and apartments you will probably
want the free bus the Kl Matterhorn lift station anyway. Kl Matterhorn is
the link for Cervinia. Food and drink on the Italian side is far cheaper,
but the skiing is so boring: motorway cruising pistes.

Based on a location near to Sunnega: there are many opportunities. Apartment
Utoring is cheap and cheerful. Granit etc are also nearby. Hotel Perren and
Parnass are extremely well placed. Although I like the Butterfly, for me
its not my favoured location: its good for the Gornergrat train (which I
never use): therefore its a walk or bus ride to everywhere else!

March is an excellent time to go. The February rush is gone, and there is
more warmth and sunshine. There are numerous mountain restaurants (all with
service); all with fantastic Matterhorn views. You will therefore be eating
outside so March is a good time!

regards
Paul Smith

ups.com...

Old October 19th 05, 07:29 PM
h23

wrote:

Hi all,
We are thinking of a trip to Zermatt in March. Never been there before,
so looking for some advice on where to stay. There'll be 4 of us so we
thought maybe an apartment would be better value than the hotels.

Can anyone recommend any apartments? I gather location is pretty
important in Zermatt so any tips would be appreciated. I've looked on
the Zermatt website and there are loads of places to stay - a case of
too much information rather than too little, so any criteria I could
use to whittle them down would be good.

If we don't do the apartment thing the Hotel Butterfly looked good -
seems to have decent write ups and is OK price-wise. Anyone been there?

Cheers,
Steve

Last year we stayed in the apartments of villa Taugwalder:

http://www.rhone.ch/rest-blatten/

go to 'Ferienwohnungen', 2nd floor is 4 persons, we had the 1st floor.

The apartments are owned by the family Taugwalder, who also have a
restaurant on the piste- very pleasant people.
The house in very close to the church square, so in the centre of
Zermatt, close to about everyting, including the lifts.
Very nice apartments, only point is the ceiling height- that is about
1.85 meters- the house was built in the 1500's. Everything up to date
though- swiss style renovation (only the best will do). See pictures
on the site.

We liked it a lot, I would return there anytime (and probably will).
They can be contacted at - they do reply in
English.

Have fun there!

Jorg