Advise on newer ski fitting

Old November 7th 05, 10:48 AM
dizzy

"MoonMan" wrote in message
Really? what does Bode Miller use for slalom then? and if they're shorter
than 165 how come he won anything at all?

As far as I remember until FIS changed their regulations 2 years ago, Bode
and other World Cup male competitors had slalom skis of 155. Fragile
fore-aft balance on such short skis led to many nasty catapulting crashes &
heavy injuries and forced FIS to move the minimum men slalom ski length
limit to 165, which is I assume Bode's length of choice now.

Old November 7th 05, 12:11 PM
Mary Malmros

MoonMan wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

GWood wrote:
[snip]

Anyways, I hope to get out more this season, and am wondering if the
move to shorter, more dramatically shaped skis is worthwhile for
someone like me?

Yes.

[snip]

Found a few "fitting" charts online, but they seem to be
unrealistic. One would have me on 165s, which is shorter than the
bump/aerial skis I used as a kid!

It's also longer than Bode Miller races slalom on, and he's a good bit
bigger than you.

Really? what does Bode Miller use for slalom then? and if they're shorter
than 165 how come he won anything at all?

The minimum for men's World Cup SL is 165 now; didn't used to be IIRC.
Women's has gone up 5cm too; in 2002 I think most were using the minimum
of 150cm.

Old November 7th 05, 12:12 PM
Mary Malmros

dizzy wrote:

"MoonMan" wrote in message

Really? what does Bode Miller use for slalom then? and if they're shorter
than 165 how come he won anything at all?

As far as I remember until FIS changed their regulations 2 years ago, Bode
and other World Cup male competitors had slalom skis of 155. Fragile
fore-aft balance on such short skis led to many nasty catapulting crashes &
heavy injuries and forced FIS to move the minimum men slalom ski length
limit to 165, which is I assume Bode's length of choice now.

Speaking of nasty catapulting crashes, y'all saw the vid of Daron
Rahlves GS crash last year, right? Vid of the year.

Old November 7th 05, 02:33 PM
MoonMan

Mary Malmros wrote:
MoonMan wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

GWood wrote:
[snip]

Anyways, I hope to get out more this season, and am wondering if
the move to shorter, more dramatically shaped skis is worthwhile
for someone like me?

Yes.

[snip]

Found a few "fitting" charts online, but they seem to be
unrealistic. One would have me on 165s, which is shorter than the
bump/aerial skis I used as a kid!

It's also longer than Bode Miller races slalom on, and he's a good
bit bigger than you.

Really? what does Bode Miller use for slalom then? and if they're
shorter than 165 how come he won anything at all?

The minimum for men's World Cup SL is 165 now; didn't used to be IIRC.
Women's has gone up 5cm too; in 2002 I think most were using the
minimum of 150cm.

Sorry Mary, just being picky, I think they are threatening more changes
after the Olympics

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!