speed cameras

Old December 17th 03, 05:39 PM
nic in la tania

Default speed cameras

just had a mail from a friend claiming that according to the french traffic
website (?) that 3 new speed cameras are being placed between chambery and
meribel (bit of a long stretch of road)...so watch out ..has anyone seen
them yet

--
Cheers
Nic & Karen

Old December 17th 03, 05:56 PM
Simon Brown

"nic in la tania" wrote in message
just had a mail from a friend claiming that according to the french

traffic
website (?) that 3 new speed cameras are being placed between chambery and
meribel (bit of a long stretch of road)...so watch out ..has anyone seen
them yet

They're behind you :-)
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old December 17th 03, 06:49 PM
Schneck

"nic in la tania" wrote in message
just had a mail from a friend claiming that according to the french

traffic
website (?) that 3 new speed cameras are being placed between chambery and
meribel (bit of a long stretch of road)...so watch out ..has anyone seen
them yet

Is this on the motorways? I'm heading to Val Cenis in january so I'm very
interesed in this!! LOL!!

What type of cameras are they supposed to be using?

Old December 17th 03, 10:17 PM
David Off

nic in la tania wrote:
just had a mail from a friend claiming that according to the french traffic
website (?) that 3 new speed cameras are being placed between chambery and
meribel (bit of a long stretch of road)...so watch out ..has anyone seen
them yet

not sure it bothers anyone who has non-French plates at the moment.

Old December 18th 03, 06:48 AM
wedderburne

"David Off" wrote in message
| nic in la tania wrote:
| just had a mail from a friend claiming that according to the
french traffic
| website (?) that 3 new speed cameras are being placed between
chambery and
| meribel (bit of a long stretch of road)...so watch out ..has
anyone seen
| them yet
|
| not sure it bothers anyone who has non-French plates at the
moment.

I don't think it's far off now, the planned Europe-wide
cooperation on recovering fines from foreign visitors. I often
see mobile 'radars' on this particular stretch but it's ideal for
the new fixed automatic cameras, 110kph around Chambéry, back to
130kph almost to Albertville, down to 110kph for a short stretch
then a good distance of dual carriageway at 90kph, including
tunnels as far as Moutiers. Haven't seen the new cameras as yet
(no doubt the letters in the post ( but the official maps (not
very explicit) for the speed traps are at:

http://www1.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr...dars_fixes.htm
(current fixed locations)
http://www1.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr...f/planning.htm
(planned locations)
http://www1.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr...rs_mobiles.htm
(mobile traps)

They're currently extending the 'voie rapide' from Moutiers to
Aime, don't know when it'll be completed, not this season for
sure.

They reckon a 30% reduction in fatal accidents for the month of
November compared to the previous year, following the recent
public awareness campaign. Frustrating, I know, to have to keep
your speed down on long stretches of empty motorway at 3 in the
morning, but then I'd prescribe a visit to the physio units of
any neurological hospital and perhaps a chat with the families of
the brain-injured, to anyone who feels these new measures are
unreasonable.

Pete

Old December 18th 03, 09:51 AM
PG

"John Wilcock" wrote in message
. ..
| On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:39:11 +0100, nic in la tania wrote:
| just had a mail from a friend claiming that according to the french
traffic
| website (?) that 3 new speed cameras are being placed between
chambery and
| meribel (bit of a long stretch of road)...so watch out ..has anyone
seen
| them yet
|
| Not been up to the mountains myself since they installed them last
| week, but according to http://www.radarsfixes.com/ there are two of
| the new cameras on the A43 between Lyon and Chambéry (in the tunnels,
| where the speed is limited to 110 km/h rather than 130) and on the N90
| in the tunnel just before Moutiers (70 km/h IIRC). They seem to like
| cameras in tunnels - the tunnel on the Chambéry expressway was one of
| the trial sites for these new cams (and is still active).

Can confirm the one in the tunnel before Moutiers.

Pete

Old December 18th 03, 08:53 PM
Schneck

Default Val Cenis

"Paul Schofield" wrote in message

I was looking at Val Cenis for next season - half term, you have to book
ahead! Anyway I'd be interested in your opinion of the resort and if

you're
using a tour op. what you think of them.

Val Cenis? I love the place!! Have a look at MGS Ski if you're interested.
They're who I use. Or go along to one of the big ski shows. I first met them
last year at the Ski Show at the NEC. We were looking to go away at the time
and were thinking of Meribel, or one of the other major name resorts. We saw
the place and met MGS and that was it. They had our deposit by the tuesday
for the following january.

The skiing isn't bad, either. Like everywhere else last january, there were
few dumps, but there weren't too many closed runs because of it.

All in all, MGS are great, the resort is great... and we had a great time,
too. Meribel??? Pah!!! LOL

Old February 27th 04, 05:05 PM
funkraum

"wedderburne" wrote:
"David Off" wrote in message

| nic in la tania wrote:
| just had a mail from a friend claiming that according to the
french traffic
| website (?) that 3 new speed cameras are being placed between
chambery and
| meribel (bit of a long stretch of road)...so watch out ..has
anyone seen
| them yet
|
| not sure it bothers anyone who has non-French plates at the
moment.

I don't think it's far off now, the planned Europe-wide
cooperation on recovering fines from foreign visitors. I often
see mobile 'radars' on this particular stretch but it's ideal for
the new fixed automatic cameras, 110kph around Chambéry, back to
130kph almost to Albertville, down to 110kph for a short stretch
then a good distance of dual carriageway at 90kph, including
tunnels as far as Moutiers. Haven't seen the new cameras as yet
(no doubt the letters in the post ( but the official maps (not
very explicit) for the speed traps are at:

http://www1.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr...dars_fixes.htm
(current fixed locations)
http://www1.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr...f/planning.htm
(planned locations)
http://www1.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr...rs_mobiles.htm
(mobile traps)

They're currently extending the 'voie rapide' from Moutiers to
Aime, don't know when it'll be completed, not this season for
sure.

They reckon a 30% reduction in fatal accidents for the month of
November compared to the previous year, following the recent
public awareness campaign. Frustrating, I know, to have to keep
your speed down on long stretches of empty motorway at 3 in the
morning, but then I'd prescribe a visit to the physio units of
any neurological hospital and perhaps a chat with the families of
the brain-injured, to anyone who feels these new measures are
unreasonable.

These speed limits are far too high. Lots more brain injuries could be
avoided if people drove at half the speed limit. For anyone who feels
these measures are unreasonable I prescribe a visit to a neurological
hospital and perhaps a chat with the families of the brain-injured,
especially if they have been brain-injured in an accident which took
place below the speed limit.

People who drive at the speed limit are irresponsible and clearly do
not care about sick and injured children, etc. Evil.

In fact even people who drive at half the speed limit are Evil. Lots
more brain injuries could be avoided if people drove around while a
liveried servant with a red flag walked in front of their motor car.
For anyone who feels these measures are unreasonable I prescribe a
visit to a neurological hospital and perhaps a chat with the families
of the brain-injured, especially if they have been brain injured in an
accident which took place between half the speed limit and walking
pace.

People who drive at anything above walking pace are irresponsible and
clearly do not care about sick and injured children, puppy dogs, etc.
Evil.

These people who drive at high speed along long stretches of empty
autoroute in the small hours of the night are evil as their is a
direct correlation, nay, causality, between their actions and the
number of French drivers brain-injured in accidents on the
Peripherique the next morning.

The reason the French have the highest road death-rate in Europe is
because they drive like assholes. If high speeds in themselves caused
death then Germany would have the highest death-rate of all and it
does not. Stopping drivers from speeding down the autoroute in the
middle of the night, especially non-French drivers, is not going to
stop the French driving like assholes. Who cares how many of them kill
and injure themselves ? Them or the Italians. I certainly do not.

No need for a visit to a neurological hospital for a chat with the
brain-injured. Just stop your car next time you have a French driver
tail-gating you and walk back to have a word with him. If the car is
so close you cannot see the registration plate. That means the driver
is Italian.

Foreign Drivers: Oh yes. We all know that most of these 'accidents'
are caused by foreign drivers driving long distances over open
highways, rather than asshole French commuters on the Marne-Le-Valle
interchange tail-gating and shunting their comrades-in-stupidity.

I notice there are no new laws aimed at tail-gating, poor merge
behavior, not stopping at stop-lights and other French specialities.
In the not too distant future there will be software and cameras which
can identify this behavior at junctions, etc. Boy am I going to have a
good laugh when that happens.

funk- "The faster you go, the louder they scream" -raum

Old February 27th 04, 05:25 PM
David Off

funkraum wrote:

I notice there are no new laws aimed at tail-gating, poor merge
behavior, not stopping at stop-lights and other French specialities.
In the not too distant future there will be software and cameras which
can identify this behavior at junctions, etc. Boy am I going to have a
good laugh when that happens.

I tend to agree with you. This country (France) must have the biggest
percentage of idiot drivers in Europe, at least the Italians drive with
flair and are prepared to stop. Not the French, on and on they drive
without thinking or looking ahead.

There may have been a reduction in road deaths, but serious injuries are
up by 10% on last year. Kind of proves Funkraum's point, they are still
crashing into each other in unprecendented numbers but just doing it slower.

Of course, if you live in a big town like Paris where there are no
cameras the Police seem to think they are there for standing around
doing bugger all except harrasing the occasional arab that passes you
will not have seen any difference. 100 km/h still seems to be
acceptable in a 50 km/h zone. A doctor was recently stopped doing 147
km/h in the equivalent of Oxford St. How long after the light turns
read do you actually have to stop 1, 2... 10 seconds?

Still what can you expect when everyone expects to get a Presidential
amnesty for their offences.

Old February 27th 04, 05:27 PM
PG

"funkraum" wrote in message
| "wedderburne" wrote:
| "David Off" wrote in message

| They reckon a 30% reduction in fatal accidents for the month of
| November compared to the previous year, following the recent
| public awareness campaign. Frustrating, I know, to have to keep
| your speed down on long stretches of empty motorway at 3 in the
| morning, but then I'd prescribe a visit to the physio units of
| any neurological hospital and perhaps a chat with the families of
| the brain-injured, to anyone who feels these new measures are
| unreasonable.
|

| These speed limits are far too high. Lots more brain injuries could be
| avoided if people drove at half the speed limit. For anyone who feels
| these measures are unreasonable I prescribe a visit to a neurological
| hospital and perhaps a chat with the families of the brain-injured,
| especially if they have been brain-injured in an accident which took
| place below the speed limit.
|
| People who drive at the speed limit are irresponsible and clearly do
| not care about sick and injured children, etc. Evil.

Followed by a large quantity of more of the same. Just how moronic can
you get.

| funk- "The faster you go, the louder they scream" -raum

Figures.

Pete

Good Speed Board? skibum Snowboarding 11 April 30th 04 06:35 PM
Digital Video/Still Cameras on the mountain Frank L Lynn Snowboarding 6 March 15th 04 12:29 PM
How to maintain speed Ace Snowboarding 18 January 16th 04 07:53 PM
Scrubbing speed... John Richardson Snowboarding 9 January 7th 04 12:56 AM
Video whilst boarding - anyone tried helmet camera's ? chas Snowboarding 7 December 24th 03 03:33 AM