8/23 & 8/24 rollerski workout - Washington, DC

Old August 24th 03, 04:17 PM
Brian

Default 8/23 & 8/24 rollerski workout - Washington, DC

Saturday morning started with my favorite morning ritual - a nice cup
of black coffee. Nothing like some good coffee in the morning to
brush the cobwebs aside. After some breakfast and stretching, I went
out for my Saturday workout.

Saturday was a decent day - my legs were tired, but my arms/back felt
good. Weird combination, but I completed my 14kms even though I had
problems settling into a good rhythm. In my GenX measuring system,
Saturday was a 1/2 kryptonite day becuase my legs felt heavy.

(Remember Superman, the Movie with Christopher Reeves? Superman was
laid low by a necklace of kryptonite and fell into Lex Luther's
swimming pool? Well, that is the way I explain to my wife how I felt
while skiing. I know everyone speaks about training zones and other
scientific measures, but I've created my own system - and besides its
alot more fun than science. For example, a few weeks ago here in DC,
temps were in the 90s and humidity was ~85%. No matter how strong of
a skiier one may be, the weather will make you suffer and i definitely
did - hence the kryptonite scale. Superman was still strong and saved
the world from destruction, but give him kryptonite and he suffers.
Anyway, I'm sure my Superman-kryptonite scale won't catch on, but it
does explain things for non-skiier wife.)

Sunday was better. Started rollerskiing earlier and felt alot better.
No kryptonite today. Back and legs both felt great - good rhythm and
powered-up the hills with good form. The weather was really wonderful
this morning. Nice cool breeze and early fall-like temps.

Last weekend, I met another rollerskier here in Washington DC. He is
a Japanese student here in DC for a Master's degree. He was on
Marwe's and had really good form. When I asked him how he likes DC so
far, he responded, "Good for school, but bad for cross country
skiing!" That's certainly true.

Anyway, hope everyone had a good workout this weekend. Think snow!

peace...brian
Old August 25th 03, 02:29 AM
Brian

Where are skiing? Haines Point? WO&D trail? Crescent? Capital Beltway?

Gee Dub
Lakewood, CO

Rock Creek Park - Beach Drive is closed off on the weekends from
Bladgen Rd. (right near Pierce Mill) to just about the Maryland line.
It is a great road, a few potholes and rough patches, but otherwise
very good for training.

I've heard that the WO&D and Crescent trails are also good, but they
are more narrow than the two lanes through Rock Creek Park. RCP also
has more hills. And besides I live near the Park for training
purposes.