Curious computer action

Old October 14th 11, 08:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier[_3_]

Default Curious computer action

On 10/14/2011 1:32 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
On Oct 14, 9:19 am, Richard wrote:
On Oct 13, 4:53 pm, wrote:

On Oct 13, 9:56 am, Richard wrote:

My favorite soccer website carries little ads at the bottom of each
page. The ads rotate every time I bring up a page. When an ad for
Mountain High pops up, my computer erases it and puts up the message:
"operation aborted".

Are you still using IE7? If so, upgrade.

When I tried to upgrade IE7 to IE8, Microsoft told me that I needed to
upgrade Windows XP to make the IE8 upgrade work. When I tried to
upgrade Windows XP, Microsoft told me that the latest service pack is
already installed. Microsoft, meet Microsoft.

I tried to download Firefox, and it was interrupted in the middle by
an AVG request to reboot. So I let that happen, and was able to
download Firefox and get it running on my AT&T DSL modem. Then after
about 10 minutes, I started getting error messages that, first, google
was not a trusted site, and then that the wireless modem was down.
After that, I plugged in the T-Mobile USB broadband stick (it gets
internet through the cell phone network) and that is how I am
communicating now - my 2005 HP laptop running Firefox through the T-
Mobile network, into the "untrusted" google groups.

And Firefox seems to work ok with the CNN pages as well. So far.

Firefox is a fine browser, but you can't download
MS/Windoze updates with anything other than
IE8 or higher.

Old October 14th 11, 10:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

On Oct 14, 11:32*am, Richard Henry wrote:
On Oct 14, 9:19*am, Richard Henry wrote:

On Oct 13, 4:53*pm, snoig wrote:

On Oct 13, 9:56*am, Richard Henry wrote:

[...]

I've run into that before. My solution was to upgrade to Windows 7
which was in process anyway. You may be able to back out the service
pack and then reinstall it and get things working. You problem is
because of IE7 and you will most likely be seeing more errors like
this but if that's the only one you see, I wouldn't worry about it.

Also when you do a service pack upgrade, it's a good idea to turn off
any AV program. I'd also recommend never turning off automatic
updates and making sure you always have the latest Flash and Adobe.

Your problem with Google may be because of AVG. I seem to remember
something on Slashdot a few days ago about some virus program blocking
Google but a patch should be issued by now. I'd also recommend
ditching AVG and getting Microsoft Security Essentials. It has much
lower bloat and runs much better than AVG. Plus, it really is free
and doesn't nag you like the free version of AVG.

But the best thing to do would be to upgrade to Windows 7 which wold
mean a complete new install. That's always a pain but Windows 7 is
much better. Of course the easiest thing to do is to just get a new
computer with Win7 on it already. I'm running Win7 x64 on an I5
processor and it really runs fast with no hiccups. I've only had Win7
crash two or three times in the last year.

Of course, those are all my opinions but I have been doing this for
quite some time now. And others will tell you something different.
It's kind of like asking "what's the best ski?".
Old October 15th 11, 12:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 16:52:59 -0400, VtSkier
wrote this crap:

Firefox is a fine browser, but you can't download
MS/Windoze updates with anything other than
IE8 or higher.

I told you. I just did. And I have Windows 7 with IE7.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.
Old October 15th 11, 03:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Oct 13, 4:53*pm, snoig wrote:

[...]

Still having intermittent problems with the AT&T wireless since I
disconnected the T-Mobile stick, so now I am on wired connection
through my Cox Communications cable modem.

It's nice to have options.

Everything is working now with Firefox and all three connection
options, and I downloaded and installed the Flash upgrade to boot.

Now all we need is a little snow - I was up at the end of a ladder
trimming old fronds out a palm tree this afternoon when a cold ocean
breeze came up, relieving the last 2 days of 100-plus heat.

Old October 15th 11, 05:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 10/13/2011 08:56 AM, Richard Henry wrote:

My favorite soccer website carries little ads at the bottom of each
page. The ads rotate every time I bring up a page. When an ad for
Mountain High pops up, my computer erases it and puts up the message:
"operation aborted".

Wishful thinking!

--
Cheers, Bev
My house isn't a pigsty, it's an Immunity Enhancement Center.
Old October 15th 11, 05:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 10/14/2011 09:19 AM, Richard Henry wrote:

On Oct 13, 4:53 pm, wrote:
On Oct 13, 9:56 am, Richard wrote:

My favorite soccer website carries little ads at the bottom of each
page. The ads rotate every time I bring up a page. When an ad for
Mountain High pops up, my computer erases it and puts up the message:
"operation aborted".

Are you still using IE7? If so, upgrade.

When I tried to upgrade IE7 to IE8, Microsoft told me that I needed to
upgrade Windows XP to make the IE8 upgrade work. When I tried to
upgrade Windows XP, Microsoft told me that the latest service pack is
already installed. Microsoft, meet Microsoft.

Switch to Firefox. You'll never look back.

Old October 15th 11, 05:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 10/14/2011 01:52 PM, VtSkier wrote:

On 10/14/2011 1:32 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

And Firefox seems to work ok with the CNN pages as well. So far.

Firefox is a fine browser, but you can't download
MS/Windoze updates with anything other than
IE8 or higher.

Perhaps the only reason for keeping it around, but I think XP downloads
security updates with IE7 -- I didn't update to IE8.

Actually, I have no idea what it uses to download windows updates.
Something tells me that updates are ready, do I want to download them?
If I say yes, after a while it tells me they've been downloaded, do I
want to install them? It may use IE, but not so I can see.

Old October 15th 11, 02:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

The Real Bev wrote:
On 10/14/2011 01:52 PM, VtSkier wrote:

On 10/14/2011 1:32 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

And Firefox seems to work ok with the CNN pages as well. So far.

Firefox is a fine browser, but you can't download
MS/Windoze updates with anything other than
IE8 or higher.

Perhaps the only reason for keeping it around, but I think XP
downloads security updates with IE7 -- I didn't update to IE8.

Actually, I have no idea what it uses to download windows updates.
Something tells me that updates are ready, do I want to download them?
If I say yes, after a while it tells me they've been downloaded, do I
want to install them? It may use IE, but not so I can see.

I've never had a problem loading updates with IE7.

Old October 15th 11, 02:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

On Oct 13, 4:53 pm, *wrote:
*On Oct 13, 9:56 am, Richard *wrote:

* *My favorite soccer website *carries little ads at the bottom of each
* *page. *The ads rotate every time I bring up a page. *When an ad for
* *Mountain High pops up, my computer erases it and puts up the message:
* *"operation aborted".

*Are you still using IE7? *If so, upgrade.

When I tried to upgrade IE7 to IE8, Microsoft told me that I needed to
upgrade Windows XP to make the IE8 upgrade work. *When I tried to
upgrade Windows XP, Microsoft told me that the latest service pack is
already installed. *Microsoft, meet Microsoft.

Switch to Firefox. *You'll never look back.

--
Cheers, Bev
My house isn't a pigsty, it's an Immunity Enhancement Center.

You still need IE to download security updates. You can set it up so
security updates are automatically downloaded and installed which is
the default or you can turn it off. If you have never gone to the
Windows/Microsoft Updates option on your programs menu, it's something
you should do to make sure it's turned on. You should also check it
every once in awhile for optional and hardware updates that you may
need. And when you do this, you should also check to make sure you
have the latest versions of Flash and Adobe Reader.