A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » Alpine Skiing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Flash memory cards for my new ski-cam?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 10th 04, 09:26 PM
Dave Stallard
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Flash memory cards for my new ski-cam?

I just got the Canon PowerShot A80 that others have recommended here, as
my first digi-cam. Plan to use it on a forthcoming ski trip to Montana.

Any recommendations for a larger flash memory card, specifically sizes
and brands? This is 4 MP camera, and the flash card that comes with it
is only 32 MB. Not sure I need a full 1 GB one, though.

Dave
Ads
  #2  
Old February 10th 04, 09:40 PM
Chester Bullock
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Flash memory cards for my new ski-cam?

Dave Stallard wrote:

I just got the Canon PowerShot A80 that others have recommended here, as
my first digi-cam. Plan to use it on a forthcoming ski trip to Montana.

Any recommendations for a larger flash memory card, specifically sizes
and brands? This is 4 MP camera, and the flash card that comes with it
is only 32 MB. Not sure I need a full 1 GB one, though.

Dave


I use a pair of 256MB cards for my Canon G5. Seems to be the right
siuze for my needs, and 2 256MB cards are cheaper than a 512, or were
when I bought them.
----------------------
Chester

Do not waste today regretting yesterday.
  #3  
Old February 10th 04, 10:17 PM
bdubya
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Flash memory cards for my new ski-cam?

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:26:13 -0500, Dave Stallard
wrote:

I just got the Canon PowerShot A80 that others have recommended here, as
my first digi-cam. Plan to use it on a forthcoming ski trip to Montana.

Any recommendations for a larger flash memory card, specifically sizes
and brands? This is 4 MP camera, and the flash card that comes with it
is only 32 MB. Not sure I need a full 1 GB one, though.


Depends on whether or not you'll be shooting at maximum resolution.
IMHO, that's a waste unless you're planning to do 8"x11" or larger
prints; half that resolution still looks fine on a postcard-sized
print, and if you'll mostly be viewing on-screen, you can go a lot
smaller than that with no noticeable difference.

That said, I'd recommend 256 MB, and buy whatever brand is cheapest at
the moment. (A quick check at pricescan shows 256MB cards from Simple
and from SanDisk in the $45-$50 range - I've used both brands and had
no problem). I'm guessing you could fit well over 200
medium-resolution jpegs on one of those. If you want to be sure,
though, see how many pix you can fit on the card at max resolution,
and at a reasonable resolution, and then just do the math.

One other note, though - if your camera interfaces like my Olympus
(once connected, it shows up as an additional drive), then it can also
double as a decent portable hard-drive, in which case you might want
to go with a larger card.

bw
  #4  
Old February 10th 04, 11:23 PM
Alex Heney
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Flash memory cards for my new ski-cam?

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:17:12 -0600, bdubya
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:26:13 -0500, Dave Stallard
wrote:

I just got the Canon PowerShot A80 that others have recommended here, as
my first digi-cam. Plan to use it on a forthcoming ski trip to Montana.

Any recommendations for a larger flash memory card, specifically sizes
and brands? This is 4 MP camera, and the flash card that comes with it
is only 32 MB. Not sure I need a full 1 GB one, though.


Depends on whether or not you'll be shooting at maximum resolution.
IMHO, that's a waste unless you're planning to do 8"x11" or larger
prints; half that resolution still looks fine on a postcard-sized
print, and if you'll mostly be viewing on-screen, you can go a lot
smaller than that with no noticeable difference.

That said, I'd recommend 256 MB, and buy whatever brand is cheapest at
the moment. (A quick check at pricescan shows 256MB cards from Simple
and from SanDisk in the $45-$50 range - I've used both brands and had
no problem). I'm guessing you could fit well over 200
medium-resolution jpegs on one of those. If you want to be sure,
though, see how many pix you can fit on the card at max resolution,
and at a reasonable resolution, and then just do the math.


The trouble with that is that "the math" doesn't really work.

the photos will probably be stored as JPEGs (not sure about Canon, but
most cameras do), which means they will be somewhat compressed.

And ski photos probably get more compression than average, due to all
the WHITE :-)

I know that with my 4MP CASIO, set to 1600X1200 (about half max
resolution), I can normally (with portraits, landscape photos &
interiors) expect to get around a dozen photos from the 10Mb of
included memory, even though 1600 * 1200 is nearly 2 million pixels.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
How come the AT&T logo looks like the Death Star?

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
  #5  
Old February 11th 04, 01:52 AM
The Real Bev
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Flash memory cards for my new ski-cam?

Dave Stallard wrote:

I just got the Canon PowerShot A80 that others have recommended here, as
my first digi-cam. Plan to use it on a forthcoming ski trip to Montana.

Any recommendations for a larger flash memory card, specifically sizes
and brands? This is 4 MP camera, and the flash card that comes with it
is only 32 MB. Not sure I need a full 1 GB one, though.


Also consider the write speed of the card. I think bigger = faster, but
I can't remember why. I'm still ****ed about the shots I missed because
the camera was still writing 2-meg shots to my 48-meg Lexar card.

--
Cheers,
Bev
================================================== ================
"I used to be convinced that MicroSquish shipped crap because they
simply didn't give a flying **** as long as the sheep kept buying
their ****. Now, I'm convinced that they really do ship the best
products they are capable of writing, and *that's* tragic."
- John C. Randolph, about MS quality control.
  #6  
Old February 11th 04, 04:31 PM
Bruno Melli
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Flash memory cards for my new ski-cam?

In article ,
Dave Stallard writes:
Not sure I need a full 1 GB one, though.


Why limit yourself ? Go the full 8Gig.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04020910simpletech8gb.asp
Only $5,999.

bruno.
  #7  
Old February 13th 04, 04:02 AM
bdubya
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Flash memory cards for my new ski-cam?

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:23:26 +0000 (UTC), Alex Heney
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:17:12 -0600, bdubya
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:26:13 -0500, Dave Stallard
wrote:

I just got the Canon PowerShot A80 that others have recommended here, as
my first digi-cam. Plan to use it on a forthcoming ski trip to Montana.

Any recommendations for a larger flash memory card, specifically sizes
and brands? This is 4 MP camera, and the flash card that comes with it
is only 32 MB. Not sure I need a full 1 GB one, though.


Depends on whether or not you'll be shooting at maximum resolution.
IMHO, that's a waste unless you're planning to do 8"x11" or larger
prints; half that resolution still looks fine on a postcard-sized
print, and if you'll mostly be viewing on-screen, you can go a lot
smaller than that with no noticeable difference.

That said, I'd recommend 256 MB, and buy whatever brand is cheapest at
the moment. (A quick check at pricescan shows 256MB cards from Simple
and from SanDisk in the $45-$50 range - I've used both brands and had
no problem). I'm guessing you could fit well over 200
medium-resolution jpegs on one of those. If you want to be sure,
though, see how many pix you can fit on the card at max resolution,
and at a reasonable resolution, and then just do the math.


The trouble with that is that "the math" doesn't really work.

the photos will probably be stored as JPEGs (not sure about Canon, but
most cameras do), which means they will be somewhat compressed.

And ski photos probably get more compression than average, due to all
the WHITE :-)

I know that with my 4MP CASIO, set to 1600X1200 (about half max
resolution), I can normally (with portraits, landscape photos &
interiors) expect to get around a dozen photos from the 10Mb of
included memory, even though 1600 * 1200 is nearly 2 million pixels.


But the math would work to the extent that if you get about a dozen
shots from 10MB, you'd expect a 32MB card to hold about three dozen
similar shots (portraits, ldscp, interior), right?

bw
  #8  
Old February 13th 04, 03:03 PM
Alex Heney
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Flash memory cards for my new ski-cam?

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:02:49 -0600, bdubya
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:23:26 +0000 (UTC), Alex Heney
wrote:

snip

That said, I'd recommend 256 MB, and buy whatever brand is cheapest at
the moment. (A quick check at pricescan shows 256MB cards from Simple
and from SanDisk in the $45-$50 range - I've used both brands and had
no problem). I'm guessing you could fit well over 200
medium-resolution jpegs on one of those. If you want to be sure,
though, see how many pix you can fit on the card at max resolution,
and at a reasonable resolution, and then just do the math.


The trouble with that is that "the math" doesn't really work.

snip

But the math would work to the extent that if you get about a dozen
shots from 10MB, you'd expect a 32MB card to hold about three dozen
similar shots (portraits, ldscp, interior), right?


Duh!

Sorry, I didn't read what you wrote properly. When you said "see how
many pix you can fit...", I didn't read that as "take as many as will
fit" (which is obviously what you intended), I read it as "calculate
how many will fit".

You are, of course, quite correct.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
If At First You Don't Succeed Ignore The Docs...

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
  #9  
Old February 13th 04, 04:55 PM
Chuck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Flash memory cards for my new ski-cam?

Chester Bullock wrote in news:c0bj4b$14lc17$2
@ID-174744.news.uni-berlin.de:

I use a pair of 256MB cards for my Canon G5. Seems to be the right
siuze for my needs, and 2 256MB cards are cheaper than a 512, or were
when I bought them.



How many images can you store on a 256m card?

--
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email
  #10  
Old February 13th 04, 05:08 PM
Dragan Cvetkovic
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Flash memory cards for my new ski-cam?

Chuck writes:

Chester Bullock wrote in news:c0bj4b$14lc17$2
@ID-174744.news.uni-berlin.de:

I use a pair of 256MB cards for my Canon G5. Seems to be the right
siuze for my needs, and 2 256MB cards are cheaper than a 512, or were
when I bought them.



How many images can you store on a 256m card?


I can store some 120 JPEG images with 4Mpx G3 camera (in HiRes, superfine
setting). A friend of mine with Canon 10D says he can store about 40 RAW
images on 256MB card. So basically in his case the rule is: with one card
you can shoot as many pictures as with one (36 shots) film.

Bye, Dragan


--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole No it isn't. L. E. J. Brouwer

!!! Sender/From address is bogus. Use reply-to one !!!
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Euro Flash taywood Nordic Skiing 1 January 18th 04 01:22 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 SkiBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.