Why Is A Ski Fast?

Old December 23rd 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
jimbo

Default Why Is A Ski Fast?

OK, maybe a dumb question. I now own three pairs of skis, one pair new
two weeks ago. Soooo, same skier, same boots, same poles, same ski
mountain, same runs, same snow conditions, etc. Why are the new skis
faster? What I mean is that even though I feel that I am skiing the
same way, the new skis seem to be much faster than either of the old
skis. Actually more than "seem", they ARE faster. So much faster that
I have to make a conscious effort to go slower and stay in my comfort
zone. The only explanation I can come up with is that the new skis are
skidding less than the old skis.

I would appreciate comments, jimbo
Old December 23rd 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler

jimbo wrote:

What I mean is that even though I feel that I am skiing the same
way, the new skis seem to be much faster than either of the old skis.
Actually more than "seem", they ARE faster. So much faster that I have
to make a conscious effort to go slower and stay in my comfort zone. The
only explanation I can come up with is that the new skis are skidding
less than the old skis.

Less skidding is most of it.
My old old skis were floppy and liked to skid.
The only way to go fast was straight down the hill.
My new skis like to go on edge, so I don't have
to scrub much velocity just to turn. I also
have to turn *longer* to slow down.

They are also fatter and a little heavier.
A little more M in the Ma and the MvSquared.

-- Mike Treseler
Old December 23rd 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

Ski Torsion / Rigidity + Different Bases + Different Waxes = Different
coefficients of friction. More friction, more resistance to motion on
the snow... = Slower.

Old December 23rd 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Beloved Leader

jimbo wrote:
OK, maybe a dumb question.

I don't think so. I saved this pdf article to my hard drive two years
ago.

"There's something in the way you move"
http://www.tricorrnet.strath.ac.uk/P...logy%20(3).pdf

Old December 23rd 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
jimbo

jimbo wrote:
OK, maybe a dumb question. I now own three pairs of skis, one pair new
two weeks ago. Soooo, same skier, same boots, same poles, same ski
mountain, same runs, same snow conditions, etc. Why are the new skis
faster? What I mean is that even though I feel that I am skiing the same
way, the new skis seem to be much faster than either of the old skis.
Actually more than "seem", they ARE faster. So much faster that I have
to make a conscious effort to go slower and stay in my comfort zone. The
only explanation I can come up with is that the new skis are skidding
less than the old skis.

I would appreciate comments, jimbo

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. My better half tunes our skis every
week, and sometimes during the week if she suspects any problem. We
ski about 60-70 times a year. All of my skis are "all mountain"
models. Dynastar Intuititive 74, 188 CM are 5 years old. Atomic Metron
11, 172 cm are one year old. The Volkl AC3, 177 cm are new last week.

The pdf link doesn't work, and I couldn't find any reference on the
web site.

Thanks, jimbo
Old December 23rd 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

jimbo wrote:
jimbo wrote:
[...]

http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/17/11/5/1
May have the article but you need a subscription.

Old December 23rd 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

jimbo wrote:

The pdf link doesn't work, and I couldn't find any reference on the web
site.

Works for me. Make sure you use the whole URL.
http://www.tricorrnet.strath.ac.uk/PWNOV04pia-tribology%20(3).pdf
Old December 23rd 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

jimbo wrote:

Why are the new skis faster?

If you could figure this out definitively, you'd have a new career.

Manufacturers make dozens of race skis to each racer's specs, as
identical as they can, but the supposed identical skis still are
different. The whole suite of "identical" skis are taken out for speed
trials to find the fastest matched pairs, which then end up in a World
Cup racer's quiver where the technician pronounces incantations and
passes precious ointments over the base and strokes the edges with holy
tools, and there are STILL differences in speed between "identical" pairs.
Old December 25th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Wayne Decker

There is another issue to consider. How often have they been tuned--and
when you tune them to you remember to change the structure of the base? I
have a brass riller bar with a winter cut on one side and and a spring cut
on the other I use to structre my bases. This puts "tread" on the base like
that of a tier that help keep the ski tracking correctlty in the winter and
helps break the water "seal" in the spring so you don't get glued to snow.
How about a shave? P-tex develops tiney hairs that interact with the snow
and slows the ski. I shave mine with a special shaver--but you can get the
same effect if you are carefule with something like a boxcutter blade used
like a scraper. Getting a good match with the wax to the snow is important.
Yes most of the wax rubs off with the 1st run or so--but the remainder will
seal the micoscopic pores in the base and help keep the snow
chrystals--which are actually pretty rough--from getting caught in them and
slowing you down. Hope this helps

WD
"Mike Treseler" wrote in message
jimbo wrote:

What I mean is that even though I feel that I am skiing the same way, the
new skis seem to be much faster than either of the old skis. Actually
more than "seem", they ARE faster. So much faster that I have to make a
conscious effort to go slower and stay in my comfort zone. The only
explanation I can come up with is that the new skis are skidding less
than the old skis.

Less skidding is most of it.
My old old skis were floppy and liked to skid.
The only way to go fast was straight down the hill.
My new skis like to go on edge, so I don't have
to scrub much velocity just to turn. I also
have to turn *longer* to slow down.

They are also fatter and a little heavier.
A little more M in the Ma and the MvSquared.

-- Mike Treseler

Fast Wax For Sale trukweaz Nordic Skiing 0 March 12th 05 02:20 PM
First fast ski of the year... in deep trackless fluff! [email protected] Nordic Skiing 2 January 21st 05 11:07 PM
Fast freeride? Ian Snowboarding 19 May 7th 04 10:30 PM
The Future of Fast Skis... Jay Tegeder Nordic Skiing 6 February 26th 04 06:39 PM
Fast Jr. Girls in Michigan! Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 0 February 13th 04 11:58 PM