can some snowboards be dangerous?

Old March 19th 08, 12:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default can some snowboards be dangerous?

I am 34. I took up boarding three yrs ago. On my really old board,
no i never sharpened the edges, to be honest i dont really understand
edges- the measurements they give them etc i have been skiing for
eight yrs, no problems there. i am pretty cautious person actually.
i wasnt even going fast when the accident happened, i was looking out
to the side mind u.

i am 190cm tall and 90kg. maybe not cut out for boarding mmm. i
bought this new rental board after trying a 164cm one. i chose the
one which caused the accident cos it turned easil, it is 161cm. I
bought the board cos it is 26.5cm wide and i have 30.5cm boots.

Old March 20th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

wrote in message

I am 34. I took up boarding three yrs ago. On my really old board,
no i never sharpened the edges, to be honest i dont really understand
edges- the measurements they give them etc i have been skiing for
eight yrs, no problems there. i am pretty cautious person actually.
i wasnt even going fast when the accident happened, i was looking out
to the side mind u.

i am 190cm tall and 90kg. maybe not cut out for boarding mmm. i
bought this new rental board after trying a 164cm one. i chose the
one which caused the accident cos it turned easil, it is 161cm. I
bought the board cos it is 26.5cm wide and i have 30.5cm boots.

I hate to tell you this, but from what you've said, your board did not "cause"
the accident. Your inattention caused the accident. A good board takes more
attention and skill to use, and it has coorrespondingly better performance to
offer. Don't blame the board. It sounds like you probably were riding flat on
the snow and caught an edge. Accept that you got a little sloppy, and had a bad
fall. It could have happened with your old board. Accidents happen. Take a few
lessons on the new board next season, and you'll be very happy with boarding.
Especially when you start getting into the powder.

Old March 21st 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike M. Miskulin

" wrote in :

I am 34. I took up boarding three yrs ago. On my really old board,
no i never sharpened the edges, to be honest i dont really understand
edges- the measurements they give them etc i have been skiing for

I had a feeling it would be something like this hence the question.
Your old ride probably had fairly dull edges which while causing
other performance issues, would be very forgiving of bad riding form.

Your new board however will have freshly sharpened edges. Depending
on the manufacturer, it may even come as 0/0 which would be prone to
catching an edge for the inattentive. It also may not have been
de-tuned (where the tip and tail are dulled to prevent catching).

So before you go out again you might want to get your board waxed and
edges done (most shops will automatically do 1/1) and mention to make
sure they detune the tip and tail.

Of course there are other possibilities - a stiffer board is less
forgiving of bad technique, a change in length, different side cut.

mike
Old March 25th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
GeeBee

On Mar 21, 6:25*pm, "Mike M. Miskulin" wrote:
" wrote :

[...]

I also recomend detuning the edges. I bought a new board last year
and had a wicked wipeout at highspeed; after much experimenting I came
to two conclusions,
a) my flow amp9 bindings' highbacks were angled too far forward which
made the board naturally perform a toe-edge turn when I wanted to go
straight (since I was being forced to put pressure on my toes from the
highback) and
b) my edges were super sharp causing them to stick during edge
transitions. Getting them detuned made a world of difference.

Hope that helps and you recover quickly. The toughest part is
mentally trusting yourself again on the board; from personal
experience I suggest the next time you go, make sure it's during low
time so there's very little traffic on the hill so you're not worrying
about people passing or hitting you if you wipeout, and pay very close
attention to your feet (transitioning your weight from toe through to
heel smoothly twisting the board) and of course pay attention to where
you're going.
Old March 26th 08, 10:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

" wrote :

[...]

you're going.- Hide quoted text -

Agree with the advice to get the tip and tail detuned. If they are
sharp, they will have a tendency to dig in and catch and that could
account for the difference.
Old March 29th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Christian Georg Becker

geekboy schrieb:
wrote:

to be honest i feel like giving up snowboarding all together. This is
the first time i have ever broken a bone in my life. I used my old
board which didnt seem as sensitive maybe had a different edge, dont
understand these things that well i used it for two and a half years
and never broke anything.

well, either teach yourself about things like effective edge,
tuning, bevel, etc, or find someone willing to tune your board
for you based on your riding style.

detuning is a no-brainer, though. do it! i didn't realize how
important it was until i boarded for a while and took a few
decent slams. if you aren't detuning, you should have a good
reason for it (you are a highly skilled rider and want all the
edge you can get).

honestly i can think of no reason why you shouldn't detune
heavily as a beginner. i know i do.

For example if you are riding icy slopes (sometimes you can't pick
neither weather nor conditions)?
A sliding edge on ice is IMHO worse for a beginner than if the edge
gives hard grip. Most beginners will stay on the slopes for a while.

--
Krischan

MUD Morgengrauen - Ein Spiel fuer Leute, welche immer noch
http://mg.mud.de wagemutig genug sind, Buecher zu lesen.
Old March 29th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
geekboy

Christian Georg Becker wrote:
geekboy schrieb:

honestly i can think of no reason why you shouldn't detune
heavily as a beginner. i know i do.

For example if you are riding icy slopes (sometimes you can't pick
neither weather nor conditions)?
A sliding edge on ice is IMHO worse for a beginner than if the edge
gives hard grip. Most beginners will stay on the slopes for a while.

i guess i should have been more specific. there is no reason
to detune more than a few inches into the effective edge,
unless you are riding rails. i'm not going to address that
case. otherwise, you should keep the edge as sharp as possible.
yes, you are shortening your effective edge by a few inches on
each end.

i don't believe that those extra few inches of sharpened edge
are going to make any difference to a beginner. on the other
hand, in icy conditions, catching an edge usually means a nice
full-body slam. even more reason to detune (properly).