Waxless skis kick zone degradation

Old January 28th 05, 11:16 AM
Randy Bryan

Default Waxless skis kick zone degradation

Dumb question time. Feel free to add clever zingers, start arguments and
stray completely off course hehe.
With waxless skis, does the kick zone wear down after a time?
My wife has had a pair of Peltens for two years, and they see moderate
use in tracked ski areas only. Never rock skis to be sure. But we've
noticed her kick has seriously degenerated the last four or so times
out, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. The fishscales
appear to be totally intact, and the glide zone is fine. What would
cause this? I have a new pair of Salomen S-cuts in the quiver, 2004
models, and ski the same areas with no problems.
Ideas?
Old January 28th 05, 12:04 PM
Ken Roberts

Randy Bryan wrote:
waxless skis . . . her kick has seriously
degenerated the last four or so times out

One part of the explanation might be simply that waxless skis grip good in
some snow conditions, and bad in others. On icy tracks it can be pretty
difficult to get much grip for the leg-push with waxless skis.

But usually there's multiple causes for why classic-striding skis slip back
instead of gripping -- for a list of possibilities (and what to do about
some of them) see
http://roberts-1.com/xcski/classic/faq/#stop_slipping

If she just wants to get some good exercise out in the snow, does not want
to work much on technique, and doesn't want to go fast -- the simplest
solution is just to put "kicker skins" on the bottom of the skis.

Ken

Old January 28th 05, 02:51 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old January 29th 05, 10:30 AM
Randy Bryan

Thanks to all. Yeah, the wife has lost 15 pounds over the last year or
so....and she's not real big to begin with. The other is not being
well-versed in waxless skis, I've completely ignored the obvious
cleaning and rewaxing of the kick zone....lulled into thinking it
shouldn't be touched.
I cleaned the skis at room temp with wax cleaner, brushed it well, and
applied glide wax to the kick zone with good results.
Many thanks to all of you who replied...the web site was REAL useful for
me as well and it will change MY waxing...thanks again.

Fischer 812 Camber Tony Nordic Skiing 7 January 7th 05 09:32 PM
Probability of Getting Good Race Skis at Small Ski Shops ?? Tim Kelley Nordic Skiing 26 October 27th 04 06:41 PM
Icing on waxless skis MB Nordic Skiing 10 March 26th 04 03:46 PM
XC -- wax or waxless? dave hill Alpine Skiing 1 February 26th 04 08:39 PM
kick wax questions temporary lull Nordic Skiing 6 January 20th 04 06:24 PM