Surfing Injury

Old July 16th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique

Default Surfing Injury

CAUTION: The hidden costs of couch-surfing can far outweigh the
monetary savings.

After sleeping on a circa-1970s couch for two nights I awoke, showered,
and began sneezing uncontrollably. The cause of the attack remains
undiscovered, but during the course of said paroxysms one particularly
explosive sneeze threw out my lower back. You heard it right, I've
been sidelined by a sneeze.

JP

Old July 16th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

On 16 Jul 2006 07:09:05 -0700, "Jay Pique"
wrote:

CAUTION: The hidden costs of couch-surfing can far outweigh the
monetary savings.

After sleeping on a circa-1970s couch for two nights I awoke, showered,
and began sneezing uncontrollably. The cause of the attack remains
undiscovered, but during the course of said paroxysms one particularly
explosive sneeze threw out my lower back. You heard it right, I've
been sidelined by a sneeze.

You picked the right time of year; you've got months to recuperate
before the snow flies. Xmas dinner '96, I got hospitalized by
pierogis (blew out the L5 disc standing up to get more out of the
kitchen). Was still skiing by February (very gingerly).

bw
Old July 16th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mark Clements

Jay Pique wrote:
CAUTION: The hidden costs of couch-surfing can far outweigh the
monetary savings.

After sleeping on a circa-1970s couch for two nights I awoke, showered,
and began sneezing uncontrollably. The cause of the attack remains
undiscovered, but during the course of said paroxysms one particularly
explosive sneeze threw out my lower back. You heard it right, I've
been sidelined by a sneeze.

This happened to a British climber on Nanga Parbat on 1997: his summit
attempt failed because the flour on a chapati made him sneeze, thus
damaging a disc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2005053.stm

Mark
Old July 17th 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
oups.com...
CAUTION: The hidden costs of couch-surfing can far outweigh the
monetary savings.

After sleeping on a circa-1970s couch for two nights I awoke,
showered,
and began sneezing uncontrollably. The cause of the attack remains
undiscovered, but during the course of said paroxysms one
particularly
explosive sneeze threw out my lower back. You heard it right, I've
been sidelined by a sneeze.

JP

That happened to a friend of mine on the first couple of days of a
month long road trip down the Baja Peninsula. He made the trip but
wasn't much help around camp.

Old July 17th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique

pigo wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
oups.com...
CAUTION: The hidden costs of couch-surfing can far outweigh the
monetary savings.

After sleeping on a circa-1970s couch for two nights I awoke,
showered,
and began sneezing uncontrollably. The cause of the attack remains
undiscovered, but during the course of said paroxysms one
particularly
explosive sneeze threw out my lower back. You heard it right, I've
been sidelined by a sneeze.

JP

That happened to a friend of mine on the first couple of days of a
month long road trip down the Baja Peninsula. He made the trip but
wasn't much help around camp.

Huh. I guess I don't feel so bad, now that I've heard it occurs with
some frequency. Since the incident I've been bolstering my torso by
tightening my abs when I feel a sneeze coming on. So far so good.

JP

Old July 24th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Jay Pique wrote:

pigo wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote:
CAUTION: The hidden costs of couch-surfing can far outweigh the
monetary savings.

After sleeping on a circa-1970s couch for two nights I awoke,
showered, and began sneezing uncontrollably. The cause of the
attack remains undiscovered, but during the course of said
paroxysms one particularly explosive sneeze threw out my lower
back. You heard it right, I've been sidelined by a sneeze.

That happened to a friend of mine on the first couple of days of a
month long road trip down the Baja Peninsula. He made the trip but
wasn't much help around camp.

Huh. I guess I don't feel so bad, now that I've heard it occurs with
some frequency. Since the incident I've been bolstering my torso by
tightening my abs when I feel a sneeze coming on. So far so good.

Those blue neoprene things sold as waist-trimmers can be of use here if
you don't have a real kidney belt. I've never thrown my back out doing
anything reasonable, just sneezing or coughing when my head was turned,
bending over to pick up a baseball cap, or just moving funny. God has a
real sick sense of humor -- not even so much as a bruise when I broke ribs.

--
Cheers,
Bev