Snowboarding in Switzerland or France?

Old November 8th 03, 05:59 AM

Default Snowboarding in Switzerland or France?

I'm going to be in the area for a business trip and wanted to get some
snowboarding in during Dec 6-10. Could anyone provide recommendations of
where to go? I can get free lodging near Lausanne, but my priority is
in going to the best resorts. I'm looking for advanced runs (at least
by North American standards).

Thanks,
Brian

Old November 8th 03, 10:53 AM
Johannes

Hi David

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 10:12:19 +0100, David Off

I'm going to be in the area for a business trip and wanted to get some
snowboarding in during Dec 6-10. Could anyone provide recommendations of
where to go? I can get free lodging near Lausanne, but my priority is
in going to the best resorts. I'm looking for advanced runs (at least
by North American standards).

Hi post this also at rec.skiing.snowbard and i gave him an idea where
to go.

If you are in Lausanne consider Saas Fee or Verbier, probably Saas given
your dates as this is still a bit early in the European season.

Saas Fee is a 3h ride by car from Lausanne. Saas Fee is only at may
closed. (Excluding there is to much wind)

Verbier open yesterday. 2 Slopes are open
http://www.televerbier.ch/

Johannes

Old November 10th 03, 09:29 AM
Ace

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:54:45 GMT, Jeremy Mortimer
wrote:

David Off wrote in
:

If you are in Lausanne consider Saas Fee or Verbier, probably Saas
given your dates as this is still a bit early in the European season.

Or indeed Zermatt - Gornergratt and Rothorn normally open the first weekend
in December (presumably this depends on cover, but they have for the last
two or three years).

Earlier than that. We're going there the last weekend in Nov. for the
second year running.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old November 10th 03, 03:39 PM
Tom

I'm going to be in the area for a business trip and wanted to get some
snowboarding in during Dec 6-10. Could anyone provide recommendations of
where to go? I can get free lodging near Lausanne, but my priority is
in going to the best resorts. I'm looking for advanced runs (at least
by North American standards).

It is only a couple of hours (max) to the Porte de Soleil from Lausanne.
Used to drive up to Chatel on the weekends - links up with Avoriaz, Morzine
etc.

Old November 11th 03, 03:05 PM
David Brown :o\)

Earlier than that. We're going there the last weekend in Nov. for the
second year running.

Any idea on how many pistes are normally open at Portes du Soleil around
this time?
I'm also staying with a friend in Lausanne from 2nd Dec until the 8th Dec
and we are planning to drive up to Champery if theres any snow.

--
David Brown )
http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

Old November 11th 03, 03:13 PM
Ace

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:05:30 -0000, "David Brown \)"
wrote:

Earlier than that. We're going there the last weekend in Nov. for the
second year running.

Any idea on how many pistes are normally open at Portes du Soleil around
this time?

Not a clue, I'm afraid. I wouldn't even know if they're open at all.
I'd suggest going to their website (linked to from the Ski Club one if
you can't find it) and checking there.

I'm also staying with a friend in Lausanne from 2nd Dec until the 8th Dec
and we are planning to drive up to Champery if theres any snow.

Verbier should be open by then, and probably has a better chance of
good snow than Champéry, I'd have thought.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)