Second hand skis abd bindings

Old March 11th 04, 09:14 AM
Fred

Default Second hand skis abd bindings

I am looking for some second hand skis on Ebay and whilst the length is
typically known, the bindings are less well specified. Manufacturers
websites only seem to have current bindings. I have a size 29 ski boots and
would be grateful if anyone can tell me what I need to know about bindings.

Is this the best newsgroup to ask this question?

Old March 11th 04, 04:26 PM
lal_truckee

Fred wrote:

I am looking for some second hand skis on Ebay and whilst the length is
typically known, the bindings are less well specified. Manufacturers
websites only seem to have current bindings. I have a size 29 ski boots and
would be grateful if anyone can tell me what I need to know about bindings.

Is this the best newsgroup to ask this question?

rec.skiing.alpine.moderated is the best newsgroup to ask this question.
There you won't get attacked by loonies.

To the question: What you need to know is what model the bindings are.
The binding manufacturers publish a list of bindings they "Indemnify"
which means they will back a shop with legal defense if a customer sues
a shop over binding performance. Practically this means shops won't work
(adjust, remount, etc) bindings not on the Indemnification list.

The problem is the list is hard to find. Heres a list from last year
http://www.skiernet.com/indemnified.html - some of the older bindings
will have fallen off the 2003-2004 list. Your best bet is to ask the
seller what binding model is on the ski, call a shop and ask if they
will work on that binding. The binding will probably have to be
remounted - it's be good luck if your boot sole size was the same as the
previous owner. Size 29 is a Euro size I believe; what matters is the
sole length in mm.

Note also the more general problem - ski condition is impossible to
determine on e-bay. I'd never buy a used ski on e-bay; MAYBE a
new-in-wrapper ski if I'd already demoed that model and had some reason
to trust the seller beyond joke manipulatible seller ratings.
Old March 11th 04, 09:06 PM
sjjohnston

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
Fred wrote:

I am looking for some second hand skis on Ebay ...

... Note also the more general problem - ski condition is impossible to
determine on e-bay. I'd never buy a used ski on e-bay; MAYBE a
new-in-wrapper ski if I'd already demoed that model and had some reason
to trust the seller beyond joke manipulatible seller ratings.

I agree with the general points: among the various things you might want to
buy used on eBay (i.e. without actually seeing the item), skis are a bit of
tricky case. It's quite hard to judge condition, and condition can matter a
lot.

On the other hand, I'm a but more sanguine about eBay generally, than lal
is. Though I haven't bought any used skis, I've bought used other stuff, and
got some good deals. "Bad" sellers, in my limited experience, are rather
more the exception than the rule. One thing I like about eBay is it created
a market for oddball out-of-production or used stuff that you could never
find before -- at least not without scouring every pawn ship in four cities.

As for new-in-wrapper skis, it seems like quite a few dealers and ski shops
are dumping their excess inventory on eBay. I don't think I'd be too worried
about buying from them. Of course, some close reading of the description,
followed with appropriate questions, may be in order. As always when you're
not depending on the expertise of the seller to pick out the product, it's
your responsibility to figure out whether it's what you really want.

On the original poster's original question, I'm not sure he exactly
understands the issue. Bindings typically don't come in a "size" that fits
the boot, but the toe and heel are mounted on the ski to fit the boot. With
most bindings (demo bindings being the obvious exception), the range of
adjustment without remounting is fairly small. I'd generally start with the
assumption that you'll need to remount the bindings on used skis. As lal
points out, unless you are really pretty confident you know how to do it,
you're going to need a shop ... and most shops won't touch anything not on
the indemnification list. Of course, remounting also leaves the old holes in
your ski. You can live with that, but it would probably behoove you to find
out whether the used skis you're buying have been remounted three times
already, or something. That's among the things that might make buying used
skis over the Internet an exciting adventure.

(On other side point: racing skis -- and in recent years some non-racing
skis -- may have the bindings mounted on a plate that is in turn attached to
the ski. Whether this makes it easier or harder to get the bindings so your
boot will go into them depends on the type of plate and the type of
bindings).

Old March 12th 04, 10:05 PM
Giles

"sjjohnston" wrote in message ...
(demo bindings being the obvious exception

I've been wondering... Is there any disadvantage to demo bindings?

This is partly because my SO and I find that we use the same binding
settings and often the same skis, but our boot shells are a tad
different in length -- IOW we might find that the option of trading
off skis would be nice.

Giles
Old March 12th 04, 10:34 PM
sjjohnston

"Giles" wrote in message
om...

I've been wondering... Is there any disadvantage to demo bindings?

That's a good question ... and given your trading-skis idea, it's a
particularly good question.

I don't have enough experience with demo bindings to know the answer. They
are typically heavier. They also have more stuff moving around, which I
suppose means more stuff to break and jam and make you throw things in
frustration.

Of course, you're limited in your choice of models, and they may preclude
you using various plates and stuff you might want to use. But that might not
be a real concern to you.

Old March 12th 04, 11:23 PM
lal_truckee

sjjohnston wrote:

"Giles" wrote in message
om...

I've been wondering... Is there any disadvantage to demo bindings?

That's a good question ... and given your trading-skis idea, it's a
particularly good question.

I don't have enough experience with demo bindings to know the answer. They
are typically heavier. They also have more stuff moving around, which I
suppose means more stuff to break and jam and make you throw things in
frustration.

I've had several demo bindings; never had a problem. Some have been
skied hard. Couple of times I even asked for demo bindings when I
thought that others might want to try a particular pair of skis.

NNN Auto Bindings Author Nordic Skiing 4 December 19th 03 10:13 PM
salomon bindings / burton boards Joe Snowboarding 6 December 18th 03 09:48 PM
Mounting alpine bindings Terry Hill Alpine Skiing 26 December 6th 03 05:51 AM
Mount Bindings Schmoe Alpine Skiing 12 November 15th 03 03:02 PM
Atomic Ski Bindings - 4.12 or 6.14 which is better for me? Christopher Luke Alpine Skiing 7 August 10th 03 03:40 PM