Breakaway ski pole straps

Old January 27th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Charles Jutkins

Default Breakaway ski pole straps

Has anybody seen these for sale in any shops ? There is a patent for this
but I have yet to see them for sale anywhere. I don't use my straps anymore
after having suffered a dislocation due to the pole catching on something
during a fall.

Old January 27th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jan 26, 7:39*pm, "Charles Jutkins" wrote:
Has anybody seen these for sale in any shops ? There is a patent for this
but I have yet to see them for sale anywhere. I don't use my straps anymore
after having suffered a dislocation due to the pole catching on something
during a fall.

You should search for taichiskiing's online movies.

Old January 27th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Charles Jutkins wrote:
Has anybody seen these for sale in any shops ? There is a patent for this
but I have yet to see them for sale anywhere. I don't use my straps anymore
after having suffered a dislocation due to the pole catching on something
during a fall.

My Goode's from (at least) 10 years
ago have 'releasable' straps. Easily
reattachable too.
Old January 27th 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Let Mikey Ski It![_4_]

On 2008-01-26 20:39:41 -0700, "Charles Jutkins" said:

Has anybody seen these for sale in any shops ? There is a patent for
this but I have yet to see them for sale anywhere. I don't use my
straps anymore after having suffered a dislocation due to the pole
catching on something during a fall.

The brand I have is Leki. The strap stays attached to your gloves and
you snap them at the top of each run and they easily snap out if you
snag it. I am on my second pair (bent my others in a scary fall last
year). The work great. I bought them at a mid-level ski shop in
Colorado (Christy Sports). I think there are others that breakaway, but
not with the strap setup of Leki.

Mike...

--
Breckenridge Ski Photography: http://BreckenridgeSkiPhotos.com
Breckenridge photo ski blog: http://Powderday.us

Old January 27th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Charles Jutkins wrote:
Is Goode a ski pole brand

Yes, high quality carbon fiber.

Old January 27th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

"VtSkier" wrote in message
Charles Jutkins wrote:
Has anybody seen these for sale in any shops ? There is a patent for
this but I have yet to see them for sale anywhere. I don't use my
straps anymore after having suffered a dislocation due to the pole
catching on something during a fall.
My Goode's from (at least) 10 years
ago have 'releasable' straps. Easily
reattachable too.

Also, I like the detachable Leki design
but I'm not sure if it's releasable in
a fall. Anyone?
Old January 27th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Charles Jutkins

From what I can see on the Goode website only the gloves that attach to the
ski poles have the detachable in a fall option.

Old January 29th 08, 10:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bumpfreaq

On Jan 27, 4:19 pm, Let Mikey Ski It!
On 2008-01-26 20:39:41 -0700, "Charles Jutkins" said:

Has anybody seen these for sale in any shops ? There is a patent for
this but I have yet to see them for sale anywhere. I don't use my
straps anymore after having suffered a dislocation due to the pole
catching on something during a fall.

The brand I have is Leki. The strap stays attached to your gloves and
you snap them at the top of each run and they easily snap out if you
snag it. I am on my second pair (bent my others in a scary fall last
year). The work great. I bought them at a mid-level ski shop in
Colorado (Christy Sports). I think there are others that breakaway, but
not with the strap setup of Leki.

Mike...

--
Breckenridge Ski Photography:http://BreckenridgeSkiPhotos.com
Breckenridge photo ski blog:http://Powderday.us
Carpe powder-diem!

Yeah, Leki now has two different designs of break away straps. Both
feature the strap/harness that stays on your glove but the interface
with the pole is a bit different. The older one has a rigid tab that
clicks into the pole. It works great until you get too much snow/ice
clogging up the female end of the system. The new method is more of a
loop that threads onto a tab. I've only looked at the new system but
I've heard many complaints that it's not nearly as convenient to
engage/disengage as the old. I've only talked to one supporter of the
new style and his point is that it's better than the Goode system he
had before, as you can use it with any glove.

I picked up a couple pair of the old style this fall on rei.com: a
carbon one for about $40 and an aluminum one for $15. Don't know if
they still have any on sale but it's worth a look.