How are ski condition close to central NJ, like mountain creek or the Poconos?

Old February 26th 04, 03:20 PM
sweet_willy

Default How are ski condition close to central NJ, like mountain creek or the Poconos?

going Sat. would like to know if anybody has been out in the last 2
wks. and how it was. Please don't just send a url like
www.forcast.com. Thanks Bill
Old February 26th 04, 05:00 PM
JQ

Hi Bill,

MC is my home mountain, I ski there just about every weekend it is the
largest in this area. The past two weekends had been great, low crowds,
short lift lines and snow conditions good not great but as for this area you
won't find much better. South Lodge area has the least crowds and the best
snow. Granite Peak has only two real trails, the most difficult run at MC
Pipe Line, conditions can be varied from great to rock hard icy or closed
and Devils Bits is a nice run. Vernon Lodge area has the largest crowds and
snow conditions are generally icier than South. There are also much more
beginners that you would have to work around.

Another great ski area is Elk Mountain, the trail maps make it look harder
than it is. They cater more to skiers than boarders. Jack Frost has
probably the best snow in the area but it only has a 600' vert. and does not
have much challenge.
The rest of the Pocono is so-so. If you have any particular questions
concerning the larger Pocono ski areas or MC e-mail me.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

om...

Old February 26th 04, 05:16 PM
Sweet_Willy

thanks JQ I'm taking a 10 & 11 yr. old I guess to MC Sat. will try south
peak after a few shot runs on sugar slope at the quad at vernon. They take
alittle time to warm up. I was looking foward to the beginner at vernon but
I guess that is not an option.
Thanks again
Bill from Matawan
Central NJ

Old February 26th 04, 05:39 PM
JQ

"Sweet_Willy" wrote in message
t...
thanks JQ I'm taking a 10 & 11 yr. old I guess to MC Sat. will try south
peak after a few shot runs on sugar slope at the quad at vernon. They take
alittle time to warm up. I was looking foward to the beginner at vernon

but
I guess that is not an option.
Thanks again
Bill from Matawan
Central NJ

Are the 10 & 11 yr old never ever or have they skied/boarded before? Are
you signing them up for lessons? If you are signing them up for private ski
lessons go to South Lodge and ask for Barry Backer and tell Barry that JQ
referred you to him. Barry has been teaching there longer than anyone at
the resort and has been teaching for over 30 years. He's a great guy too.
Trail maps at South are very misleading, it will show mainly black runs when
most of the runs are green and blues. This is how they keep most of the
people up at Vernon.

My son is 11 yrs old and he skis and boards has been skiing for 8 yrs and
boarding for 4 yrs. If you go to MC maybe we'll see each other. You will
be able to spot my son a mile away. His helmet has a grey cover with two
fluorescent orange horns and long tail and he wears a Yellow ski jacket. If
you spot him stop by and say, "Hi!"

JQ

Dancing on the edge

Old February 26th 04, 07:25 PM
Sweet_Willy

Hey Hi, they are snowboarders my son has gone 3 times before he's not too
bad, we did the lesson at vernon in the school the first time and he said
they s__ked, so the next time I took him to the school hill about 3 times
and up the sugar slope after about 3 times down, we went to the top all
that day and the next and stayed on the beginner, I think he will be ready
for south peak after a couple runs on sugar. is there slow slopes at south
peak like the sugar slope? Maybe I will just go there and park and stay
there all day. His friend has gone more, not sure how much. We'll see, I'll
look for your son, I guess u will be with him? maybe my kids will be upto
boarding with him and me w/you. Thanks for all the info, just what I wanted
to know from somebody who goes there alot and lately. U are very kind.

Old February 27th 04, 12:24 AM
JQ

[...]

Is Sugar the beginner lift at the far left at Vernon? If so your Son will
do well at South and will enjoy it much more. That run is dangerous with
all the beginners all over. It is amazing how the kids maneuver around each
other there. I find it very difficult to ski around a lot of beginners.
Hard to tell when they will turn and how far the will go before turning
again.

Sometimes my son is on his own but mostly either his mother Eileen, myself
or both are with him. What day will you be going up or will you be up there
for the weekend? If I know which day you'll be there I can have my son
board that day, so he and your kids will be doing the same thing.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Hope to see you this weekend...

Old February 27th 04, 01:51 PM
Sweet_Willy

yea the sugar lift is at the left at vernon. We will be boarding and I
skiing Sat. tommorrow. We will look for him! See ya maybe.

Old February 28th 04, 04:02 AM
JQ

"Sweet_Willy" wrote in message
t...
yea the sugar lift is at the left at vernon. We will be boarding and I
skiing Sat. tommorrow. We will look for him! See ya maybe.

May not be able to make it there tomorrow, will not know until the morning.
If I don't see you tomorrow, have a great time.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 29th 04, 03:25 PM
Sweet_Willy

Hey JQ.
Stayed on Bear peak most of day, conditions were good all morning , got
alittle slushy after lunch and better after about 4. nice day overall. Son
was doing good till he hit a jump going on side of trail and bit the dust,
got alittle timid after that. which is good I guess, but it also slowed him
down more :-(. Stayed on bear claw most of the day, hit bear paw a few time
and kamakazi. went over to south peak and canyon after about 4 or 5 when the
crowd at the lift slowed down. They liked bear peak better and went back to
it after about 2 runs. They did get hit each once on bear peak by some
really rude boarders, didn't even say excuse me and got hit from behind, 10
yr. old got hit hard on wrist but lived with it. Overall a preaty good day
though. sorry about the spelling I'm a bad speller I know but this computer
dosn't have spell check. Thanks for the tip. Good Luck. Hope u had a good
time too. Thanks Bye. Bill

Old February 29th 04, 10:21 PM
JQ

"JQ" wrote in message

"Sweet_Willy" wrote in message
t...
yea the sugar lift is at the left at vernon. We will be boarding and I
skiing Sat. tommorrow. We will look for him! See ya maybe.

May not be able to make it there tomorrow, will not know until the

morning.
If I don't see you tomorrow, have a great time.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Hi Bill,

I am glad you and the family had a great time. I wish I could have gotten
out. I had to work all of Saturday thru Sunday afternoon. I just woke up!
I thought I would be done by Saturday afternoon and would be able to get in
some night skiing but no such luck, time just seemed to fly right by me.
Well at least I got the work done. I will be out there most definitely next
week. I wish I lived closed than 3 hours from the mountain.

Sorry to read that your kids both got hit by some rude boarders. Good to
know no real damage occurred to them. I see your 10 year older likes to go
off trail to get to the jumps, sounds just like my son. They seem to have
radar for the jumps.
I like the snow when it is a little soft it is easier on my bad knees. Did
you and the kids do the race track? it is a nice run if you are able to
control your skis/board and not need to side slip down, it is a little short
though.

Well, got to go for now...

JQ
Dancing on the edge