"Women's Boards" or no?

Old February 28th 04, 11:13 PM
AsaaraAgain

Default "Women's Boards" or no?

Rode my dad's new Custom 158 for maybe an hour or so yesterday, and if he
hadn't been family you'd have had to fight to peel me off it, I loved it! The
stance felt a bit wide as he's a few inches taller than I am, but it still
seemed to work great. Had to skid a bit to depower it at times as it has a
little more tendancy to go fast than I do, but it was still no trouble to
control, and seemed to bite through crap and chunks better than my old
(extremely flexy compared to this) board. I swear I was riding my old one
better afterwards, too. So now I want one of my own, though I think I'd go for
the 154.

If I win lots of money somehow, somewhere, would there be any point in looking
at a similar women's board instead, if I can't try it out before buying?
What's the difference other than the graphics? I usually wear a women's
10/men's 8 in shoes, but my boots (LTD) seem to be a women's 8, so I've not got
exceptionally small feet or anything.

If I don't win lots of money, any suggestions on cheaper boards that would feel
about the same?
Old March 1st 04, 06:57 PM
LMG

"AsaaraAgain" wrote in message
If I win lots of money somehow, somewhere, would there be any point in

looking
at a similar women's board instead, if I can't try it out before buying?
What's the difference other than the graphics? I usually wear a women's
10/men's 8 in shoes, but my boots (LTD) seem to be a women's 8, so I've

not got
exceptionally small feet or anything.

The typical womens board will have a narrower waist width, and more flex at
the same length as a comparable mens board. This is mainly to accomodate
the fact that most women have smaller feet and weigh less than a man of the
same height weighs. My advice: if you have found a board that you like and
that increases your enjoyment of riding - buy it! Forget about graphics,
mens board, womens board, kangaroos board - ride a board that makes riding
more fun and improves your skill. From your post, it sounds like you have
found a good board for you, so demo the 154 to make sure there's not a huge
difference in how it performs for you compared to the 156 you tried, and go
charge it!

-Lynn

Old March 1st 04, 10:54 PM
Arvin Chang

"LMG" wrote in message .com...
[...]

I'm adding my vote for Lynn's description of women's board design and
choosing boards.

--Arvin
Old March 2nd 04, 03:40 AM
AsaaraAgain

Forget about graphics,
mens board, womens board, kangaroos board - ride a board that makes riding
more fun and improves your skill. From your post, it sounds like you have
found a good board for you, so demo the 154 to make sure there's not a huge
difference in how it performs for you compared to the 156 you tried, and go
charge it!

Was in a store today grabbing one of probably the last three pairs of Ride VXn
bindings in the entire GTA given the number of stores I called that said they
were pretty much sold out as soon as they got them, thought I'd try and power
up my old board a bit more until I got a new one, and was ogling some women's
boards, that store seems to have a rather good selection of them. Looked at an
Option Bella, K2 Mix, and Salomon Radiant (like the graphics, but apparently a
bit too flexy), but they didn't have a Custom in the store I could compare them
to side by side, and it seems to be hard to find someone that's ridden both
Customs and women's boards to compare what they felt like. Anyone ridden any
of these?

Old March 2nd 04, 04:49 AM
Dmitry

"AsaaraAgain" wrote

If I don't win lots of money, any suggestions on cheaper boards that would feel
about the same?

Palmer makes a women's specific board ("Touch"?) that is an equivalent
to their men's "Classic" board, which in turn is quite similar to Burton
Custom. It should be a good $50-100 cheaper on sale because it's a less
known board/brand, but you'll have a hard time finding it if you're not
near big mountains/metro areas.

Old March 4th 04, 04:08 AM
AsaaraAgain

Default "Women's Boards" or no? - conclusion

Palmer makes a women's specific board ("Touch"?) that is an equivalent
to their men's "Classic" board, which in turn is quite similar to Burton
Custom. It should be a good $50-100 cheaper on sale because it's a less
known board/brand, but you'll have a hard time finding it if you're not
near big mountains/metro areas.

I haven't seen any Palmer boards in any shops I've been in, or maybe I'm just
blind...

Ended up going in yesterday to the store my dad got his Custom at, guy said
there if I could get the Bella (which he didn't have) under $500 CAD at the
other store, grab it, so I did, even though I saw a dark teal Custom 154 (they
only have the grey on the site, didn't know they made them in that color) at
the first store. Took it out today after work to North York, not exactly the
greatest place, but enough to get the feel of the equipment. Mostly slush over
ice/boilerplate depending on the patch.

Found that the board just didn't feel right after a run or two, couldn't
describe why, even though the guy from the first store said they should feel
pretty similar. Changed the stance a little bit, did another run, my front
foot was hurting a bit and I wasn't sure if maybe there was a binding problem,
that didn't help, so my dad and I switched boards for a few runs. My board
dumped him on his ass, his board felt like I'd grown it myself as a body part.
Wasn't binding size, as his boots fit those bindings fine, wasn't crappy
conditions, or my overestimating the hill I could handle, as I was riding his
board fine even though the crud. Switched back, almost got dumped on my ass,
then somehow bit it forwards.

Ended up packing up then even though I had 2 hours left on my ticket, taking
the board back to the first shop as a tradein rather than trying to claim it
was unused at the place I bought it from, didn't lose much money on that, and
got the Custom that I should have just bought in the first place, was planning
on getting the Custom bindings as they were a lot cheaper, but ended up just
getting the same Mission ones as my dad's got, go with what you know, I
guess...

Strange how boards that are supposed to feel reasonably similar can feel very
different. If it were the beginning of the season, I guess I'd have gone
around to different demo days to try and see what I could find that felt just
like the Custom that was cheaper, but it's a bit late for that and I still plan
to ride this season as long as there's snow, so...
Old March 6th 04, 11:43 PM
Confused

My gf has been practicing alot with her new trampoline Bounce Board -
http://www.funspot.com/trampoline_bounce_board.html

I've noticed since then she's handling her board alot better on snow.

steepwater boards tlf Snowboarding 0 February 9th 04 03:25 AM
Demo'ing boards UK. David Brown :o\) Snowboarding 2 February 5th 04 07:05 PM
asymmetric freestyle boards? Torfi Snowboarding 1 January 27th 04 07:23 PM
What is it with graphics on boards ….. Yello snow Snowboarding 8 December 6th 03 09:13 PM
Newer Higher end boards jeff Snowboarding 0 August 14th 03 05:15 PM