Lake Tahoe end Mar..beg Apr

Old December 19th 03, 04:20 AM
spike

Default Lake Tahoe end Mar..beg Apr

How are the ski conditions in Tahoe in late March and early April. We
plan on going up there during spring break time.
Old December 19th 03, 06:10 PM
Terry Morse

spike wrote:

How are the ski conditions in Tahoe in late March and early April. We
plan on going up there during spring break time.

Tahoe in March/April: Spring conditons. Firm in the morning, slush
in the afternoon. If you follow the sun across the mountain, you'll
be skiing on ideal snow.

Snow storms are a possibility at that time of year. If you time it
right, you'll be skiing on fresh snow (but it won't last long). Here
are some photos from last April 26th, 2003, one day after a storm:

http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/trip/s...426/index.html

And from March 30th, 2002:

http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/trip/t...0/index_1.html
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/
Old December 20th 03, 08:47 PM
Iain Miller

"Terry Morse" wrote in message
spike wrote:

How are the ski conditions in Tahoe in late March and early April. We
plan on going up there during spring break time.

Tahoe in March/April: Spring conditons. Firm in the morning, slush
in the afternoon. If you follow the sun across the mountain, you'll
be skiing on ideal snow.

Snow storms are a possibility at that time of year. If you time it
right, you'll be skiing on fresh snow (but it won't last long). Here
are some photos from last April 26th, 2003, one day after a storm:

http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/trip/s...426/index.html

And from March 30th, 2002:

http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/trip/t...0/index_1.html
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/

I wase there right at the end of March/early April 2002 - it was revolting.
The weather broke the week we got there & got very hot & the skiing was no
fun at all - slush, slush & more slush by about 11 am. We were off the
mountain by 1pm every day I think. Temperatures up the mountain were in the
60s.

For the amount of money you have to spend to ski at Tahoe, personally I
wouldn't risk going that late again.

I.

Old December 21st 03, 02:16 AM
Terry Morse

Iain Miller wrote:

I wase there right at the end of March/early April 2002 - it was revolting.
The weather broke the week we got there & got very hot & the skiing was no
fun at all - slush, slush & more slush by about 11 am. We were off the
mountain by 1pm every day I think. Temperatures up the mountain were in the
60s.

You just described the essence of Spring skiing: Start early, end
early, enjoy the rest of the day hiking/lounging/biking/swimming. If
you want only Winter conditions, and you have to plan your trip in
advance, plan to ski in Winter. I have experienced Winter conditions
in late May at Alpine Meadows--for a couple of hours, and I've skied
under blue skies and 60F temperatures in February.

For the amount of money you have to spend to ski at Tahoe, personally I
wouldn't risk going that late again.

If you watch the weather and time it right, you can ski on great
snow well into April. And you don't have to spend a bundle. Lift
ticket prices this season: Alpine Meadows: $39. Sugar Bowl: $39.
Every day. Cheaper than Alta.
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/
Old December 21st 03, 01:30 PM
Iain Miller

Iain Miller wrote:

I wase there right at the end of March/early April 2002 - it was

revolting.
The weather broke the week we got there & got very hot & the skiing was

no
fun at all - slush, slush & more slush by about 11 am. We were off the
mountain by 1pm every day I think. Temperatures up the mountain were in

the
60s.

You just described the essence of Spring skiing: Start early, end
early, enjoy the rest of the day hiking/lounging/biking/swimming. If
you want only Winter conditions, and you have to plan your trip in
advance, plan to ski in Winter. I have experienced Winter conditions
in late May at Alpine Meadows--for a couple of hours, and I've skied
under blue skies and 60F temperatures in February.

Yep, but there is spring skiing and then there is full on meltdown (!) What
we experienced was the latter unfortunately. As for travel times - it was a
case of that being the only option open at the time. To be honest its one of
those trips that I still consider to have been a waste of time effort &
money.

For the amount of money you have to spend to ski at Tahoe, personally I
wouldn't risk going that late again.

If you watch the weather and time it right, you can ski on great
snow well into April. And you don't have to spend a bundle.

Well we came from the UK so it kinda wasn't an option to be flexible with
the dates. Skiing at Heavenly is now out of reach for us as a family of 4
anyway - $1000 for two kids ski school for 5 days & another $5-600 on 2
adult lift passes. We got the same thing in Europe last year for about 1/3
of the price.

Lift ticket prices this season: Alpine Meadows: $39. Sugar Bowl: $39.

Still expensive by European standards.

I.

Old December 21st 03, 06:18 PM
Terry Morse

Iain Miller wrote:

Lift ticket prices this season: Alpine Meadows: $39. Sugar Bowl: $39.

Still expensive by European standards.

Not as expensive as it was, given the strong Euro/weak US dollar.

Spring is a risky time of year for skiing, especially if you must
book well in advance. Mt. Bachelor, Oregon probably has the most
consistent Spring conditions, as does Whistler, BC (upper mountain).
Tahoe can be great then, too, unless a heat wave descends.

BTW, I skied late March/early April 2002 in North and South Tahoe,
the same time you were there, and I had a pretty good time. There
was no powder, but there was plenty of corn in the mornings. I guess
you have to be able to enjoy Spring conditions.

Donner Summit area, 30-Mar-2002:
http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/trip/t...330/index.html

Heavenly Valley, 6-Apr-2002:
http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/trip/h...204/index.html
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/
Old December 22nd 03, 02:44 AM
Iain Miller

Iain Miller wrote:

Lift ticket prices this season: Alpine Meadows: $39. Sugar Bowl: $39.

Still expensive by European standards.

Not as expensive as it was, given the strong Euro/weak US dollar.

Spring is a risky time of year for skiing, especially if you must
book well in advance. Mt. Bachelor, Oregon probably has the most
consistent Spring conditions, as does Whistler, BC (upper mountain).
Tahoe can be great then, too, unless a heat wave descends.

Skied Bachelor for a couple of years around 92/93 in Jan/Feb - good fun -
got some tough weather though!

BTW, I skied late March/early April 2002 in North and South Tahoe,
the same time you were there, and I had a pretty good time. There
was no powder, but there was plenty of corn in the mornings. I guess
you have to be able to enjoy Spring conditions.

I'd hazzard a guess that it wasn't your first (or last) ski of the
season....it was for us & therefore disappointing.

I.

Lake Tahoe area in April J.B. Memascii Snowboarding 3 January 15th 04 02:36 PM
Info needed for Lake Tahoe Shoaib North American Ski Resorts 1 December 14th 03 04:36 PM
Lake Tahoe Loding... Chris General 0 December 4th 03 12:13 AM
Lake Tahoe Snow boarding Question Kevin Harper North American Ski Resorts 2 November 15th 03 05:31 AM
South Lake Tahoe lodging ideas Chris Otto North American Ski Resorts 3 August 11th 03 11:58 AM