Does April = Winter for compulsory snowchains in French Alps

Old March 3rd 04, 06:22 PM
Séan

Default Does April = Winter for compulsory snowchains in French Alps

I understand snow chains are compulsory in the French Alps during winter..
Is April included as Winter....

Any help on this matter would be appreciated

Old March 3rd 04, 06:49 PM
Ian Spare

Séan wrote:
I understand snow chains are compulsory in the French Alps during winter..
Is April included as Winter....

Any help on this matter would be appreciated

Compulsory in what way ? There's not going to be a spot check on the
road up to see if you've chains. If, OTOH, you need them to drive on the
road you're on then you shouldn't need the police or anyone else to make
you have them. Personally I leave them in the car year round although
I've never used them, however, I won't take my winter tires off until
May (or when they close Val D'Isere).

Ian
Old March 4th 04, 07:33 AM
Paul Schofield

"Ian Spare" wrote in message
Séan wrote:
I understand snow chains are compulsory in the French Alps during

winter..
Is April included as Winter....

Any help on this matter would be appreciated

Compulsory in what way ? There's not going to be a spot check on the
road up to see if you've chains.

Oh yes they can be - last year the flics were checking cars in Morzine
before they could drive up to Avoriaz. No Chains = No go

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old March 4th 04, 08:28 AM
Ian Spare

Paul Schofield wrote:
"Ian Spare" wrote in message

Séan wrote:

I understand snow chains are compulsory in the French Alps during

winter..

Is April included as Winter....

Any help on this matter would be appreciated

Compulsory in what way ? There's not going to be a spot check on the
road up to see if you've chains.

Oh yes they can be - last year the flics were checking cars in Morzine
before they could drive up to Avoriaz. No Chains = No go

only if it's snowing unfortunately you cut and pasted one sentence
rather out of context.

Carrying chains is not compulsory in any Alpine country at any time of
year, nor is having 4wd or winter tires. That's what the guy was asking
as I understood it.

On some roads, like from Morzine to Avoriaz, you'll be stopped if you
don't have chains and the conditions require it though which I think is
what you're saying but that's true where I lived in the UK, you could
get stopped from the Cat and Fiddle or Snake pass for example.

Ian
Old March 4th 04, 11:47 AM
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Ian Spare :
Carrying chains is not compulsory in any Alpine country at any time of
year, nor is having 4wd or winter tires. That's what the guy was asking
as I understood it.

I know that Scandinavia is not Alpine, but late skiing and winter tyres
brings up the topic of Norway and Sweden. I understand that winter
tyres are compulsory there until some date in April. Has anyone experience
of driving to any of the Norwegian or Swedish resorts? I've often fancied
it for a late break.

Adrian

--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old March 4th 04, 03:22 PM
Séan

"Ian Spare" wrote in message
Séan wrote:
I understand snow chains are compulsory in the French Alps during

winter..
Is April included as Winter....

Any help on this matter would be appreciated

Compulsory in what way ? There's not going to be a spot check on the
road up to see if you've chains.

I have read in other posts that Police do spot checks for snowchains??

If, OTOH, you need them to drive on the
road you're on then you shouldn't need the police or anyone else to make
you have them.

My car has low clearance and I cannot get standard snow chains. Something
called Spike Spiders, cost £250 will fit as an expensive option?

Personally I leave them in the car year round although
I've never used them, however, I won't take my winter tires off until
May

I have standard road tyres on my car, winter tyres are not normally needed
driving around SE London

(or when they close Val D'Isere).

Ian

I was hoping that there was a date which constituted Winter end and Spring
begins....

Old March 4th 04, 03:32 PM
Ian Spare

Séan wrote:

I was hoping that there was a date which constituted Winter end and Spring
begins....

No, because there's no such rule as I was trying to explain. There's
only a requirement to use chains if the conditions require it, so that
could be the middle of June :-)

I understand your concern though, where are you going and when ?

Ian
Old March 4th 04, 03:53 PM
Paul Schofield

"Séan" DamoRemoveMyPanats@toEmailMe wrote in message

....snipsy....

My car has low clearance and I cannot get standard snow chains. Something
called Spike Spiders, cost £250 will fit as an expensive option?

My mate had the same problem and hired some in the UK - I can find out where
if you like.

Of course Sod's Law meant he didn't actually need to put them on at all.

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old March 4th 04, 08:59 PM
David Off

Séan wrote:

I was hoping that there was a date which constituted Winter end and Spring
begins....

21st of March, what of it? I've known snow in July which was thick
enough that you couldn't drive up to resort (les 2 Alpes) without
chains. As Ian said, the police only check when there is snow on the
road and couldn't care if it was the 14th of July if there are drivers
to book.

I say, don't worry about them but be aware that if your car has low
clearance it is probably not going to make it to resort if there is snow
on the road. Why don't you take the train?

Old March 5th 04, 06:51 AM
Marco Cattaneo

"Ian Spare" wrote in message

Carrying chains is not compulsory in any Alpine country at any time of
year, nor is having 4wd or winter tires. That's what the guy was asking
as I understood it.

Oh yes it is... One example is a sign on the motorway from Turin/Milan into
the Valle d'Aosta which says that carrying winter equipment is compulsory
(if I remember well, the period given on the sign is mid-October to
mid-April)

In any case, it is compulsory to be equipped if there is snow on the road -
and as you can't know in advance (certainly not for the return trip of a one
week holiday), it seems obvious what to do.