N. Rockies Huts?

Old November 22nd 05, 02:43 AM

Ed Huesers wrote:
Heh, I drank scotch for many years. Acquired taste was what people
said about that too. I must be one for getting suckered into things.

No need to feel guilty about it. I've got some 25 y.o. stashed in a
remote place so it lasts.

Course, being raised on the cold plains of ND might have some
influence. I think there was one spell that was -30 for three weeks back
when it used to get cold.

-30 is cold.

Expensive though? It don't need to be.

But it is.

I started out on X-mart wool and it served me quite well. There's
always those thrift shops to. Army wool pants were my favorite for many
years/pairs. Sure, people looked at me kinda funny but I wasn't on trail
much and didn't see that many people.

But you're not normal. We've already established that. Most people
would play it differently.

My food is the same food I eat at home so that expense is a
constant. Last year I started experimenting more with fresh vegies and
this year I'll be bringing a fresh salad on every trip.

How do you keep your salad from freezing? Usually it's tough just to
keep the water bottle liquid. Not to mention the Schmush Factor.

For people that go once a year or less, the appeal of a warm hut
is a big draw. Cheaper than all the other **** you'd need to be
comfortable.

I can see that, once a year, but a lot of you guys go skiing nearly
every week and must have the gear.

I damn near winter camp when I'm home. I basically live in a
hut. Plenty tough enough for me. And the DSL is nice. I think the
folks that are near the skiing and go a lot put some time into making
it comfy to be where they are.

And frankly, building a snowcave sucks compared to just
walking in and building a fire.

I find myself being trapped in a cabin with having to take the
clothes off, but now I go out when ever I want. I'm dressed just warm
enough to stand outside for 15 or 30 minutes before I have to go back in
to warm up. If I stay semi active, I can stay outside as late as I want.

But with a hot tub, it's the grrls that take their clothes off. Sorry,
that'd be my pref.

Those cabins get kinda drafty too when the fire goes down during the
night.

Depends on the cabin, but still, a drafty cabin can be pretty comfy in
a warm bag.

There yah go. Tough to leave the XGK going while you're out.

I don't worry about the canister stove I use.

But it ain't a crock pot or woodstove where you can just let things
stew while you ski..

Whereas if you'd gone camping it would have been freeze dried. Again.

No, no. I swore that crap off back in 79.
I precook all my foods and eat them cold. Smoked beef brisket is
pretty good. Deboned chicken is convenient. Soft boiled eggs are great.
My favorite is lobster but it's a bit expensive when landlocked.
The only thing I use the stove for is melting snow for water and
that's not hot water.

I like hot liquid food/gruel just for the thermal value. I much prefer
"real food" to freeze dried, but when you're going for a while or far,
it's just not practical to take other than dehydrated or freeze dried.

dry clothes

Yep, got those, around my neck and my arm pits is the only place I
sweat.

Well, when you dig a snowcave or igloo, you get wet. Period.

climbing out of the sleeping bag and putting on the boots
isn't the toughest part of the day

Again... as long as the boots don't freeze. It the ice phase
conversion that sucks all the heat out of the toes. I don't sleep with
my water or boots and haven't had them freeze in the last eight years now.

Looxury.

I've used a few different homemade sleds and have seen local guides
using them. None even come close. I haven't seen or used the high end
sleds though. I like them a lot and will be using the sled on most
overnighters this season.

I'd avoid a sled unless it's a week or so. They just suck. No matter
how good they are, they suck.

You guys have been around a lot longer than I. I don't particularly
like the web based groups.

The threading is nonexistent, binaries get posted, ads, censorship, etc. But
here you have spam and noise.

There's a lot to be said for comfort and easy living.

-klaus

Old November 22nd 05, 04:17 AM

Ed Huesers wrote:
I think there was one spell that was -30 for three weeks back
when it used to get cold.

-30 is cold.

I guess youth is pretty tough. I went back about 20 years ago and
hit a -30 stretch. I tried skiing and the white polar was felt like
sand. The nose hairs froze together, didn't notice that as a kid, heh.

Expensive though? It don't need to be.

But it is.

The gear lasts quite a while on snow compared to summer on rocks.
I'm thinking of getting some Philson type jacket and pants. Heavy but
durable. I've got a highend gortex now that is pretty durable but we'll
see. I can see that I'm not impressed with the high end breathable
synthetic pants in the durability area.
I consider the gas to the trailhead one of my biggest expenses.

Sure, people looked at me kinda funny but I wasn't on trail
much and didn't see that many people.

But you're not normal. We've already established that.

Heh, Abbey? I ain't tryin to win no beauty contest.

Most people would play it differently.

The ones with the money?

Last year I started experimenting more with fresh vegies and
this year I'll be bringing a fresh salad on every trip.

How do you keep your salad from freezing?

The mass of all the food takes longer to cool down and I insulate it
well while traveling.
In the igloo, it doesn't get below 34f. when someone is in it. When
traveling for the day the temperature might drop to 28f. and that is
easy enough to insulate the food from.

Usually it's tough just to
keep the water bottle liquid.

In a snow bank, air travels through the crystals of snow and a snow
cave or traditional block igloo can let enough air pass that things do
freeze. It was vary rare that our water bottles didn't freeze in our
snowcaves.
The snow is packed in my igloos and doesn't let air through. To what
degree, I don't know but it's enough that things don't freeze.

Not to mention the Schmush Factor.

Pack it well and I use those cheap Glad plastic tubs.

For people that go once a year or less, the appeal of a warm hut
is a big draw. Cheaper than all the other **** you'd need to be
comfortable.

I can see that, once a year, but a lot of you guys go skiing nearly
every week and must have the gear.

I damn near winter camp when I'm home. I basically live in a
hut.

I've heard Kurt mention it briefly.
Running water? My mom said "Yeah, run out to the pump and get it".

Plenty tough enough for me. And the DSL is nice.

Heh, what a mix.

I think the
folks that are near the skiing and go a lot put some time into making
it comfy to be where they are.

Yeah, I've heard of other types of shelters that the F.S. wouldn't like.

But with a hot tub, it's the grrls that take their clothes off. Sorry,
that'd be my pref.

Ain't that expensive? Hot tub!

I precook all my foods and eat them cold. Smoked beef brisket is
pretty good. Deboned chicken is convenient. Soft boiled eggs are great.
My favorite is lobster but it's a bit expensive when landlocked.
The only thing I use the stove for is melting snow for water and
that's not hot water.

I like hot liquid food/gruel just for the thermal value.

There is that indeed but I've been doing this for about five years
now and don't miss it much. It sure leaves a lot of the day for playing
when I don't cook.

I much prefer
"real food" to freeze dried, but when you're going for a while or far,
it's just not practical to take other than dehydrated or freeze dried.

I went to Jellystone last season and took a gallon of milk in the
pulk. I was geared up for a five night trip.

dry clothes

Yep, got those, around my neck and my arm pits is the only place I
sweat.

Well, when you dig a snowcave or igloo, you get wet. Period.

If I regulate my layers while building the igloo I won't even sweat
enough to notice it. I usually opt to keep working though and get the
wet neck and pits. I always dry out before bed time.

Again... as long as the boots don't freeze. It the ice phase
conversion that sucks all the heat out of the toes. I don't sleep with
my water or boots and haven't had them freeze in the last eight years now.

Looxury.

I always wondered why the boots were so cold to put on when it was
31f. in the snowcaves. I've learned a little since and that one or two
degrees makes a big difference.

I'd avoid a sled unless it's a week or so. They just suck. No matter
how good they are, they suck.

I found that the sled actually gave me some balance or control. It
felt odd at first until I learned to trust it and use it to my
advantage. It felt better than a full pack on and coming down.

You guys have been around a lot longer than I. I don't particularly
like the web based groups.

The threading is nonexistent, binaries get posted, ads, censorship, etc. But
here you have spam and noise.

Agreed. But the noise ain't been bad here for the last year or more.
I thinks they only pick on the high traffic groups. I'll notice it on
the other group that when it gets going, here comes the noise.
Easy to weed through the posts though.

There's a lot to be said for comfort and easy living.

Don't mice live in those cabins.
That's one thing about winter camping in that you don't camp where
all the animals are habituated.
Take care,

Ed Huesers
Http://www.grandshelters.com