decline

Old February 14th 10, 04:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
remove y

Default decline

Well here we are at the height of the skiing season in Europe and this
group has very few messages whereas it used to be a caldron of topics
and discussions.

Usenet itself is going downhill - there may be quite a few good groups
but a general sense of decline can be detected.

What in relation to this group is this caused by?

--
PK
pauldotkellyatmcbdotnet
Old February 15th 10, 10:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

"remove y" wrote in message
news
Well here we are at the height of the skiing season in Europe and this
group has very few messages whereas it used to be a caldron of topics and
discussions.

Usenet itself is going downhill - there may be quite a few good groups but
a general sense of decline can be detected.

What in relation to this group is this caused by?

--

It's a shame as the newsgroup was always good value, but I think a lot of
discussions were started by non-regulars asking stuff about different

Heh! It was fun while it lasted

and Odd - You're all *******s as I've already been to Tignes for my
solitary week this year - boo-hoo.

--
Paul S

Old February 15th 10, 10:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:23:37 -0000, "Paul S" PAULatSONIFEXdotCOdotUK
wrote:

"remove y" wrote in message
news
Well here we are at the height of the skiing season in Europe and this
group has very few messages whereas it used to be a caldron of topics and
discussions.

Usenet itself is going downhill - there may be quite a few good groups but
a general sense of decline can be detected.

What in relation to this group is this caused by?

--

It's a shame as the newsgroup was always good value, but I think a lot of
discussions were started by non-regulars asking stuff about different
resorts and conversations would follow. I guess newsgroups aren't the first
(or even last) port of call any more.

I think you're right, yes. For a while the group also served as a
de-facto general skiing discussion group for mainly UK-based folk, but
that need seems to have been filled by discussion forums like
snowheads, which personally I just can't get on with at all.

Heh! It was fun while it lasted

Sure. I'm sure I'm not the only one who always looks for new postings,
but I really don't think anyone's going to be that interested in me
posting thread after thread of how wonderful Engelberg is ;-)

As it happens, the sun's shining today, but I'm stuck indoors working.
The weekend was great though.

and Odd - You're all *******s as I've already been to Tignes for my
solitary week this year - boo-hoo.

I sympathise. I won't be skiing again until Saturday.
--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/
Old February 15th 10, 03:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

"Ace" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:23:37 -0000, "Paul S" PAULatSONIFEXdotCOdotUK
wrote:

..snipsy...

and Odd - You're all *******s as I've already been to Tignes for my
solitary week this year - boo-hoo.

I sympathise. I won't be skiing again until Saturday.

Git

--
Paul S

Old February 15th 10, 07:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher[_3_]

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:34:35 +0100, Ace wrote:

Sure. I'm sure I'm not the only one who always looks for new postings,
but I really don't think anyone's going to be that interested in me
posting thread after thread of how wonderful Engelberg is ;-)

Are you permanently based there now?

--
-Pip
Old February 15th 10, 07:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:07:07 +0000, Pip Luscher
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:34:35 +0100, Ace wrote:

Sure. I'm sure I'm not the only one who always looks for new postings,
but I really don't think anyone's going to be that interested in me
posting thread after thread of how wonderful Engelberg is ;-)

Are you permanently based there now?

Not as such, still got the house in France, where I'm sitting watching
the men's downhill as I type. But Engelberg is our official residence,
and we've been there at least every weekend for the last three seasons
(except when doing Ski Club stuff elsewhere). I think I clocked around
60 ski-days there last year, and almost certainly will do as much this
year.

As of two weeks ago, Jude's now working there as a ski instructor,
having been kicked out of her proper job last year, so she's there
most of the time, and we had the cats there all last week (I was away
in SF) so I stayed the extra night and worked from home today, then
drove back with the cats tonight. It's only 1h50m away, so doesn't
exactly need a lot of planning.

So anyway, where's your thread asking for all the latest gen on
Flaine? That's what this group's missing, so get to it.

Old February 15th 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher[_3_]

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:53:11 +0100, Ace wrote:

So anyway, where's your thread asking for all the latest gen on
Flaine? That's what this group's missing, so get to it.

Heh, well, I went there last year and this year's already booked. The
snow will be what the snow will be....

Oh, in case I can be bothered to make a day trip, what's the drive
like from Flaine to Chamonix? It's unlikely that I would waste half a
good day driving, but just in case, like.
--
-Pip
Old February 15th 10, 10:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:16:26 +0000, Pip Luscher
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:53:11 +0100, Ace wrote:

So anyway, where's your thread asking for all the latest gen on
Flaine? That's what this group's missing, so get to it.

Heh, well, I went there last year and this year's already booked. The
snow will be what the snow will be....

Just because you know tha answer shouldn't stop you askijng the
question.

Oh, in case I can be bothered to make a day trip, what's the drive
like from Flaine to Chamonix? It's unlikely that I would waste half a
good day driving, but just in case, like.

To Chamonix town, perhaps an hour and a half. Or less, depending on
your driving and traffic. Personally I wouldn't think it worthwhile -
if the snow's good in Cham it's usually better in Flaine. Sometimes a
day at St Gervais/St Nicolas/les Houches etc. can be fun though.

Old February 16th 10, 09:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_4_]

"Pip Luscher" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:53:11 +0100, Ace wrote:

So anyway, where's your thread asking for all the latest gen on
Flaine? That's what this group's missing, so get to it.

Heh, well, I went there last year and this year's already booked. The
snow will be what the snow will be....

Oh, in case I can be bothered to make a day trip, what's the drive
like from Flaine to Chamonix? It's unlikely that I would waste half a
good day driving, but just in case, like.
--
-Pip

Depends on the weather, as snow on the Flaine access road can slow things
down dramatically (think chains or textile snow-socks...).
FWIW, last season we drove from Les Carroz to Chamonix (well under an hour,
as I remember) and through the Mont Blanc Tunnel for a day's skiing in
Courmayeur, and felt it was well worth the effort. Must have done, as we did
it again during a return visit a month or so later...

As Ace said, Les Houches is worth a pop, much underrated and is closer, too.

Let us know how you get on!

Roger
www.mountainpassions.com - an Online Magazine with Altitude

Old February 16th 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ollie Clark

Paul S wrote:

It's a shame as the newsgroup was always good value, but I think a lot of
discussions were started by non-regulars asking stuff about different
resorts and conversations would follow. I guess newsgroups aren't the first
(or even last) port of call any more.

I expect in the old day, most people knew about news even if they didn't
use it. Now, I expect noone knows about it except the ones who are already
using it.

Heh! It was fun while it lasted

and Odd - You're all *******s as I've already been to Tignes for my
solitary week this year - boo-hoo.

I feel your pain. I'm off there for my one week skiing this year in a few
weeks.

I did get a few runs down a hill in High Wycombe on Christmas day which
confirmed I don't really like walking up hills with skis.