where to stay in arc1800

Old December 18th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Stevie

Default where to stay in arc1800

We stayed at the Belmont in Arc 1800 for last two years. Flew to Chambery
then hired car, Booked Belmont through P&V online. Accommodation was
excellent, good ski locker area, put skis on at back of apartments and only
50yds downhill to the Transarc gondola

Ample eating places and bars just 200yds down the path. We always go first
week in April and its great to sit in the bars facing south till 7pm
enjoying the evening sun

Steven

We are planning to go to Arc 1800 at the end of January 2008 with a
friend of mine. As far as we studied thru the Les Arcs website,
Tournavelles seems to be a nice place to stay. We are about to book a
25 sqm. room with 4 beds where we are going to stay 2 persons only.

I could only find comments and reviews about Chantel mostly but
nothing about Tournavelles. Is there something wrong with that place
or would it be a better idea staying elsewhere ?

Another question is how to settle the eating part. Are there
convenient take-aways within Arc 1800 or do we have to go Bourg-St-
Maurice to find reasonable food. Cant spend all the week eating at
fancy restaurants.

We are planning to use Geneve Airport's France exit and there to rent
a car to Arcs, this seems the best for us since we dont have Swiss
visas but Schengen only.

Any single guidance/comment would be highly appreciated.

Thanks / Regards
Bahadir

Tournavelles is an apartment block in Villards, which is almost the
centre of Arc 1800. The apartment block is one of the closest to the
lift system and to the shops etc. It should prove to be very good. 25m2
should be fine for 2.

It depends what you mean by fancy restaurants but that area of Les Arcs
has a number of ordinary french restraurants (where ordinary people go).
A good meal in one of these will cost about 30 euros per head plus
drinks. There is a good food shop nearby (Sherpa IIRC) where you can buy
food to cook yourself, but I cannot recall if they offer precooked
dishes to takeout. Your apartment will have a fridge, and hotplates to
cook on. There is no need to go to Bourg st Maurice for food. I stay in
Arc 1600 where there is a take away pizza service. There is probably
something similar in Villards.

I love the skiing in Les Arcs and go for 2 weeks every year. I find the
people in the resort friendly and helpful and the skiing fantastic. I am
sure you will have a good time.

It may be cheeper to get a transfer bus from Geneva to Les Arcs rather
than hire a car. The car will spend the whole week in a car park in Les
Arcs and not really be much use to you.

If you have any more questions then please get back in touch.

John- Alıntıyı gizle -

- Alıntıyı göster -

Dear John,

Thanks very much indeed. I could finally find all the exact answers to
my questions. Also I am happy with the reply, we sure will spend good
time there as it seems.

Re transport, we aint have Swiss visa so cant use the Swiss exit of
Geneve airport, rather will use French Sector to jump into France with
Schengen visa. Btw, if you dont mind I will have a few more
questions..

Double check that you cannot get from Geneva airport to Les Arcs with
public transport and your visa. It will make th ewhole journey easier. I
have a friend who has great difficulty getting a French visa, but can get
a swiss one easily. She will only ski in Switzerland.

1) Where we should leave the car as we are coming with the skis and
boots, luggages etc. To a closed car park in St.Maurice or up to Arc
1800 ? How is the road to both ? Hope not too steep for an unfamiliar
car on unfamiliar route.

Arc 1800 has a number of car parks, all of which you must pay for. The
nearest one to your apartment is a covered one at the Transarc side of
the village (see the les arcs web site
http://www.lesarcs.com/Plan-interactif-Arc-1800). It will be quite
expensive. Personally I would drive upto Arc1800 rather than park the week
in Bourg st.Maurice.

The drive is not steep or difficult, but it may be covered in snow. You
must have snow chains with you - make sure the hire company supplies them
and you know how to fit them.

2) For a week stay, do you suggest buying only Les Arcs skipass or
Paradiski. I will buy the pass together with the room to enjoy 20%
discount. I am not too professional in skiing but cannot estimate
whether Les Arcs will be enough thru the stay or not. My colleague is
a snowboard beginner so we should hang around not too far.

I ski for 2 weeks a year in Les Arcs and have only felt the desire to go
to La Plagne twice. Do not bother with the paradiski pass, but buy a full
Les Arcs pass.

3) Which pistes you can suggest for me? I like plain long rides to
improve my slalom skills.

Almost every where. If you take lessons the instructor will take you to
the most interesting points in the resort and you will meet other people
to ski with. A particular favorite of mine is to take the Tansarc from
1800 to Col du Chal, then ski all the way down to Pre St. Espirit (no
stops allowed) then take the Comborciere and cruise back down to Arc 1800.
All blues and usually done by the 3rd day of skiing.

Enjoy the holiday

John

That's all for time being.

Regards,
Bahadir

Old December 24th 07, 08:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
ParalyticSkiCrazie

You won't be able to buy a Paradiski Lift Pass this winter - the
Vanoise Express has been closed for the season from today!! I'm off to
La Plagne on Thursday and was wondering whether to buy the complete
Paradiski Pass - at least the decision has now been made for me!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year skiing to all of you and your
families.

Jacqui
Old December 24th 07, 08:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Skywalker

Jacqui thanks yours. I also bought Les Arcs pass luckily.

Do you know why it is closed down and for season long ?

Old December 25th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 00:44:14 -0800 (PST), Skywalker
wrote:

ParalyticSkiCrazie yazdı:

You won't be able to buy a Paradiski Lift Pass this winter - the
Vanoise Express has been closed for the season from today!!

Jacqui thanks yours. I also bought Les Arcs pass luckily.

Do you know why it is closed down and for season long ?

"Possible Issues with Cables" according to Ski Club News.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 26th 07, 08:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

The Vanoise express has been closed due to a cable problem. This one
seems to be anormally used.
Whatever, you still can buy a Paradiski lift pass, but you'll have to
take your car to go from Les arcs to La plagne (or the contrary).
I do not know if Paradiski will practice a "reduction" for this
problem.

Ski Club of Great Britain -http://www.skiclub.co.uk

Old December 27th 07, 09:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

wrote:
ParalyticSkiCrazie yazdı:
You won't be able to buy a Paradiski Lift Pass this winter - the
Vanoise Express has been closed for the season from today!!
Jacqui thanks yours. I also bought Les Arcs pass luckily.

Do you know why it is closed down and for season long ?

"Possible Issues with Cables" according to Ski Club News.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain -http://www.skiclub.co.uk
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the Ski Club.- Hide quoted text -

This is the official press release

"Closure of the Vanoise Express cable car for winter 2007-8
The Vanoise Express cable car, which connects the Arcs/Peisey-
Vallandry and La Plagne ranges, will not be in service this winter.
The decision follows discussions between the operator and the local
authorities, which have ordered suspension of the cable car's
operations.
Problems have been detected on the outer coating of certain cables,
which will be examined more closely during the winter. Work will start
in the spring."

Anyone who has pre-bought a Paradiski pass will be issued either a Les
Arcs or La Plagne pass and will be refunded the difference (through
whoever you bought it from).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk
Old December 27th 07, 10:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On Dec 27, 9:48*am, Excess wrote:
This is the official press release

"Closure of the Vanoise Express cable car for winter 2007-8
The Vanoise Express cable car, which connects the Arcs/Peisey-
Vallandry and La Plagne ranges, will not be in service this winter.
The decision follows discussions between the operator and the local
authorities, which have ordered suspension of the cable car's
operations.
Problems have been detected on the outer coating of certain cables,
which will be examined more closely during the winter. Work will start
in the spring."

Ouch! I seem to remember when they put it up they had issues - it
failed the last 'operational test' so the cars were taken off and sent
back to Switzerland.

Basically a real shame, even though it doesn't get tonnes of use, it's
an interesting piece of engineering, and it doesn't half shift.

Matt
Old December 27th 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher[_2_]

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 01:48:33 -0800 (PST), Excess
wrote:

authorities, which have ordered suspension of the cable car's
operations.

I thought that by it's very nature a cable car's operation was
suspended.

Err, I'll get me coat.

--
-Pip
Old December 27th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

wrote:

authorities, which have ordered suspension of the cable car's
operations.

I thought that by it's very nature a cable car's operation was
suspended.

Err, I'll get me coat.

--
-Pip

Ha! Now that's comedy.

Old December 27th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 07:29:50 -0800 (PST), Matt T
wrote:

wrote:

authorities, which have ordered suspension of the cable car's
operations.

I thought that by it's very nature a cable car's operation was
suspended.

Stern look

Err, I'll get me coat.

I should think so.