Precision Ski - overcharging

Old February 1st 05, 05:55 PM
James Gurney

Default Precision Ski - overcharging

Got back from a superb week in Val d'Isere. My wife and others in our
group hired skis at the recommended shop Precision Ski.
(Note: not in this case the original Precision Ski shop, they are all
over the place now. Someone has been on a buying spree)
Anyway, I glanced at the bill once we were back home to see they had
charged Euro150.00 plus Euro12.00 insurance waiver.

Skis hired were Dynastar Legend. Fairly top of the range but evenso
available elsewhere in Val d'Isere at ...

Eskiador EUR 86.37 (+ins waver)
Killy Sport EUR109.81 (+ins waver)
Intersport la Daille EUR 108.79 (+ ins)

(all courtesy of a web search. Incidentally, it's not much but the
insurance elsewhere is Eur10, even that is 20% higher at Precision)

OK, we should all be good consumers and check prices first. But be
realistic, packed shop, first morning etc. You don't.

We raised the matter with the company we went with and forwarded copies
of bills. The resort rep has investigated the matter with Precision Ski
and the email to us included such terms as

"We have not been entirely satisfied with their response"

"Generally, we believe that they seem to be resting on their laurels as
“European Ski Shop of the Year� which they have won several years
running. Since last year they have also changed hands and management."

"We feel that you have been unreasonably charged by a shop that we have
recommended"

"we are currently reviewing our relationship with Precision Ski and
whether we can continue to recommend them"

"Once again please accept our apologies, I would have liked to have
added those of the shop but they are not forthcoming."

The matter is being sorted amicably between us and the tour company. But
as for Precision!??!

--
James
Old February 1st 05, 06:18 PM
The Older Gentleman

James Gurney wrote:

The matter is being sorted amicably between us and the tour company. But
as for Precision!??!

Well, you said it yourself: you should have shopped around. I'm glad the
tour company has taken your side, though.

--
Trophy 1200 (Doctored) 750SS CB400F CD200 ST70 DT50MX
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3
Old February 1st 05, 06:23 PM
Greg Hilton

James Gurney wrote in news0GiTXCHC9
:

Anyway, I glanced at the bill once we were back home to see they had
charged Euro150.00 plus Euro12.00 insurance waiver.

Skis hired were Dynastar Legend. Fairly top of the range but evenso
available elsewhere in Val d'Isere at ...

Eskiador EUR 86.37 (+ins waver)
Killy Sport EUR109.81 (+ins waver)
Intersport la Daille EUR 108.79 (+ ins)

(all courtesy of a web search. Incidentally, it's not much but the
insurance elsewhere is Eur10, even that is 20% higher at Precision)

FWIW hire prices on the 'net often include a 20% discount for pre-
booking, so maybe they would be similiar priced if you went in "off the
street"??

regards,

Greg
Old February 1st 05, 09:30 PM
Sammy

James Gurney wrote:
Got back from a superb week in Val d'Isere.

Great! What is the $ value of a good week in the mountains? I hope you
are planning to send some of the goodwill back to the people who helped
make it possible.

Anyway, I glanced at the bill once we were back home to see they had
charged Euro150.00 plus Euro12.00 insurance waiver.

Presumably that was the price they showed you in the shop? Buyer
beware.

Skis hired were Dynastar Legend. Fairly top of the range but evenso
available elsewhere in Val d'Isere at ...

Eskiador EUR 86.37 (+ins waver)
Killy Sport EUR109.81 (+ins waver)
Intersport la Daille EUR 108.79 (+ ins)

(all courtesy of a web search. Incidentally, it's not much but the
insurance elsewhere is Eur10, even that is 20% higher at Precision)

OK, we should all be good consumers and check prices first. But be
realistic, packed shop, first morning etc. You don't.

Exactly! You paid the tourist premium. Time is money.

We raised the matter with the company we went with and forwarded

copies
of bills. The resort rep has investigated the matter with Precision

Ski
and the email to us included such terms as

What "matter"? You went into a shop, got the kit you wanted and
willingly paid the price they asked.

snip irrelevant drivel

James

As you said, the shop was full, so plenty of other people thought they
were charging a fair price. When you go on holiday expect to pass on
some economic benefit to the locals, it's the decent thing to do. Have
you thought about the margins ski-hire shops achieve? Thanks for the
price comparison though, that should enable the ski-hire arbs to make a
killing.

Sammy

Old February 2nd 05, 07:53 AM
Joe Roach

As you said, the shop was full, so plenty of other people thought they
were charging a fair price. When you go on holiday expect to pass on
some economic benefit to the locals, it's the decent thing to do. Have
you thought about the margins ski-hire shops achieve? Thanks for the
price comparison though, that should enable the ski-hire arbs to make a
killing.

Sammy

The shop may have been full of other people who believed that their Tour Co
had ensured that they would be charged a reasonable price. The Tour Co
presumably thought that they had a duty of care, hence the refund.

Personally, if I were hiring, I wouldn't use a place based on a Tour Co's
recommendation because of the commission/kick-back element (yet another good
reason for having your own skis and I have no problems about the impact that
this has on the margins of the ski hire shops).

Joe

Old February 2nd 05, 01:29 PM
Ash

"Joe Roach" wrote in message
[...]

This year we used a ski shop recommended by the owner of the apartment we
stayed in and we had been told we would get a 10% discount on the hire. When
we came to pay at the end of the week the discount turned out to be 15%,
which was nice. Also nice was that the shop was right next to the ski lift
and they had ski lockers and heated boot holders as well, so no clunky
walking back to the apartment.

Ash

Old February 2nd 05, 01:56 PM
Joe Roach

"Ash" wrote in message

"Joe Roach" wrote in message
[...]

I wouldn't count the owner of an apartment as a Tour Co and in any event he
might still have got a bung in one form or another. Doesn't mean you were
done but doesn't necessarily mean you got the best deal either.

Joe

Old February 2nd 05, 02:45 PM

Joe Roach wrote:
[...]

The Val d'Isere Tour Co I always use suggest various shops. Their
comment on Precision Ski has always been "very good shop, helpful
staff, very expensive" which seems a fair summary.

The internet comparison is not entirely fair. Ski hire is regularly
15-20% cheaper pre-booked over the net. And you get a discount at
Precision if you are a ski club member.

(I have my own skis so I don't hire. But I used Precision for new
insoles and they were superb. Not cheap, however.)

Old February 2nd 05, 06:45 PM
Joe Roach

wrote in message
ps.com...

Joe Roach wrote:
[...]

I agree. Your Tour Co has carried out its duty of care and given an honest
assessment. I bought new insoles for my son and new boots and insoles for
myself from Precision last year. Cheap? - No. Good value , given that the
boots and insoles are perfect? - Yes.

Joe

Old February 3rd 05, 06:59 AM
PG

"Joe Roach" wrote in message

| "Ash" wrote in message
|
| This year we used a ski shop recommended by the owner of the
apartment we
| stayed in and we had been told we would get a 10% discount on the
hire.
| When we came to pay at the end of the week the discount turned out
to be
| 15%, which was nice. Also nice was that the shop was right next to
the ski
| lift and they had ski lockers and heated boot holders as well, so no
| clunky walking back to the apartment.
|
| Ash
|
| I wouldn't count the owner of an apartment as a Tour Co and in any
event he
| might still have got a bung in one form or another. Doesn't mean you
were
| done but doesn't necessarily mean you got the best deal either.

With 15% on hire I seriously doubt there was anything in it for the
apartment owner. I do the same in Bourg St Maurice - I let out a couple
of apartments and a ski hire/storage shop at the funicular - Polaire
Star - gives 10% discount. All there is in it for me is keeping the
guests happy.

Pete - SNOWeSCAPE
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net