Sports Illustrated Feb 27, 2006

Old February 26th 06, 05:51 AM

Default Sports Illustrated Feb 27, 2006

I know it's snowboarding, and I know my views on the olympics aren't
terribly popular around here, but...
I just took a second look at the cover of Sports Illustrated, Feb 27, 2006.
What a great cover!
Those kids definitely conveyed the spirit of the Olympics that I look
forward to; it's the image I want the world to think of when they think of
our USA Olympic athletes.

Throw Sasha Cohen's Champions Gala performance and personality into the mix
and Julia Mancusos performance and personality in, as well, and D. Rahlves,
and we've got a great face to put on for the world. I think, in spite of
some negatives, we were well represented. These are just a few of my
favorite names.

Old February 26th 06, 04:30 PM

For America, Apolo Anton Ohno is the best example of the Olympic Spirit. A
gaggle of medals. A winning smile and above all, humility in stating that he
is just proud to be there. Not just glad to be there to party.

Pops

. com...

Old February 26th 06, 06:13 PM

. com...

"Pops" wrote in message
For America, Apolo Anton Ohno is the best example of the Olympic Spirit. A
gaggle of medals. A winning smile and above all, humility in stating that
he is just proud to be there. Not just glad to be there to party.

Pops

I was wondering what other names would be offered; I didn't watch speed
skating, so I couldn't speak for Ohno, but I'm glad to hear he represented
us well in more than just earning medals.

Old February 26th 06, 08:33 PM

"Bryan" wrote in message
. com...

. com...

"Pops" wrote in message
For America, Apolo Anton Ohno is the best example of the Olympic
Spirit. A gaggle of medals. A winning smile and above all,
humility in stating that he is just proud to be there. Not just
glad to be there to party.

Pops

I was wondering what other names would be offered; I didn't watch
speed skating, so I couldn't speak for Ohno, but I'm glad to hear
he represented us well in more than just earning medals.

He is actually a short track skater. And while it is fast skiing when
you say "speed skater" that is the name of a different discipline.
Both are sanctioned (in the US) by "US Speedskating".

Speed Skating and Short Track are probably my favorite Olympic
events.

Old February 27th 06, 03:00 AM

"pigo" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
. com...

. com...

"Pops" wrote in message
For America, Apolo Anton Ohno is the best example of the Olympic Spirit.
A gaggle of medals. A winning smile and above all, humility in stating
that he is just proud to be there. Not just glad to be there to party.

Pops

I was wondering what other names would be offered; I didn't watch speed
skating, so I couldn't speak for Ohno, but I'm glad to hear he
represented us well in more than just earning medals.

He is actually a short track skater. And while it is fast skiing when you
say "speed skater" that is the name of a different discipline. Both are
sanctioned (in the US) by "US Speedskating".

Speed Skating and Short Track are probably my favorite Olympic events.

I should have watched more events!

Old February 27th 06, 03:23 AM

pigo wrote:

He is actually a short track skater. And while it is fast skiing when
you say "speed skater" that is the name of a different discipline.
Both are sanctioned (in the US) by "US Speedskating".

Speed Skating and Short Track are probably my favorite Olympic
events.

I was interested to note that their training seems to have changed. Not so
long ago, these guys had massive thighs, that made their feet look too
small. Now they seem to have come down in size. The racing was very
entertaining, men's and women's, watching the tactics and moves at very high
speed.

--
ant

Old February 27th 06, 04:03 AM

"Bryan" wrote in message
et...

"pigo" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
. com...

. com...

"Pops" wrote in message
For America, Apolo Anton Ohno is the best example of the Olympic

Spirit.
A gaggle of medals. A winning smile and above all, humility in stating
that he is just proud to be there. Not just glad to be there to party.

Pops

I was wondering what other names would be offered; I didn't watch speed
skating, so I couldn't speak for Ohno, but I'm glad to hear he
represented us well in more than just earning medals.

He is actually a short track skater. And while it is fast skiing when

you
say "speed skater" that is the name of a different discipline. Both are
sanctioned (in the US) by "US Speedskating".

Speed Skating and Short Track are probably my favorite Olympic events.

I should have watched more events!

We need more curling!!!

Old February 27th 06, 04:15 AM

"ant" wrote in message
pigo wrote:

He is actually a short track skater. And while it is fast skiing when
you say "speed skater" that is the name of a different discipline.
Both are sanctioned (in the US) by "US Speedskating".

Speed Skating and Short Track are probably my favorite Olympic
events.

I was interested to note that their training seems to have changed. Not so
long ago, these guys had massive thighs, that made their feet look too
small. Now they seem to have come down in size. The racing was very
entertaining, men's and women's, watching the tactics and moves at very
high speed.

--
ant

We watched the women's relay the other night and while they tried to explain
it the race looked like Roller Derby gone mad.

The men's relay last night had better coverage and explanation and I really
got the feel of what was going on.

Still crazy looking but quite the spectacle.

I wish I had known that they just raced at Lake Placid a couple of weeks
ago. Would have been fun to see in person.

Onward to 2010.

Pops