Czech Republic trip report

Old November 20th 03, 06:59 PM
funkraum

Default Czech Republic trip report

Ace wrote:
wrote:
"PG" wrote:

Not often, they (we) don't. I mean, I like a nice fry-up as much as
the next man, but it's hardly a typical breakfast, is it? If you had
to generalise, I'd guess that a couple of slices of toast is much more
typical

I meant "what real men have for breakfast" ie steak, frites, bacon,
eggs all washed down with a glass of whisky and a "Senior Service"

Really, I was referring to dining of a kind one sees on menus, rather
than whatever one can grab before leaving the house.

I seem to have started the thread of all threads "Late twentieth
century European tourism catering and the metabolic adjustment of
travellers - reality versus perception"

but these have no equivalent in either the Mitteleuropa block or the
Latin block. Once your metabolism adjusts (a vacation is not long
enough) then all is well.

I don't think this is a major factor, TBH. In general, I'd say the
dietary balance is quite similar across Europe, although there's a
major difference im how we get it.

For example, the French aren't big on vegetables with their main
courses, tending to eat much more salad instead. The more eastern
countries seem to have more of a taste for fatty meat which we Anglos
aren't used to, and often don't serve it with gravy or sauce of any
sort, so again it doesn't match with our norms.

In the West it seams meat without fat is a modern fad which has come
to the fore in the last twenty-five years.

Not sure what the answer is - open your mind, perhaps, and try and eat
more like the locals do?

Agreed.

Old November 21st 03, 06:06 PM
Sue

In message , "Nigel (Remove NOSPAM)"
writes
Not a good policy to put your phone number out on NG

And what could Usenet do that our legitimate customers don't?

Hey, my employer has installed censorware!
They said I couldn't send e-mails with rude words in, so I asked what
words would be regarded as rude. They said they couldn't send me the
list because it has rude words in!
--
Sue ];(

My quads don't hurt, there must be something wrong
Old November 21st 03, 06:15 PM
Sue

In message , Alex Heney
writes

Are you ever in Reading on weekdays?

Occasionally, but not on a regular basis. It depends where I am
working at any time.

Reading's better if you can come by train instead of driving, but we do
understand why people tend to avoid it if they can.

--
Sue ];(

Our next bid for city status is sure to succeed, we have shootings now
Old November 28th 03, 12:38 PM
funkraum

"PG" wrote:
[...]
the years, and although I can usually eat anything, without a doubt this was
the worst !! It just tasted really bad. I've lived in several European
countries, and the Czechs have definitely shifted the Brits off the bottom
of the culinary league table ...

Hmmff.. OK. Sounds like an ex-Warsaw Pact Field Kitchen unit has found
employment in the resort.