Skiing in NY and Montreal

Old July 8th 03, 06:10 PM
Walt

Default Skiing in NY and Montreal

Chuck wrote:

In April I'll be in Montreal for a week on business. I'll have 4 nights to
ski and one full day. Any suggestions that are within driving distance from
Montreal?

Well, Tremblant is the big resort in those parts. If your full day is a
weekday, I'd say give Tremblant a try. But it gets crowded on weekends,
so I'd recomend going elsewhere if your full day is a Saturday or
Sunday. Mont Blanc perhaps. Tremblant is a ninety minute to two hour
drive from Montreal, Mont Blanc will save you about half an hour.

For night skiing, there are half a dozen hills on the road up to
Tremblant - I think the closest one is less than an hour's drive from
Montreal. I haven't skied any of them, but from looking at them through
the car window it appears that any of them would be more than adequate
for someone from one of the Great Lakes states.

See
http://www.ski-guide.com/statemap.cf...tm?sort=number
for more info.

--
//-Walt
// Official Beer Taster for usenet

Old July 14th 03, 06:35 PM
Gary S.

On 8 Jul 2003 17:00:01 GMT, Chuck wrote:

Looks like I'll have opportunities to ski in NY and Montreal this coming
winter. Any suggestions? In NY I'll be int he Lake George area. West
Mountain is pretty close, but Hunter and Gore and within reach too. This
will probably abe a 1 or 2 day trip.

In April I'll be in Montreal for a week on business. I'll have 4 nights to
ski and one full day. Any suggestions that are within driving distance from
Montreal?

Several ski areas just north of Montreal in the Laurentides, with
Tremblant being the largest, and more (but smaller areas and hills) to
the east in the Eastern Townships. All 60 to 90 minutes from Montreal.

See and follow links from:

http://www.tourisme.gouv.qc.ca/anglais/activites/ski/alpin.html

The exchange rate makes Canada tourism quite enticing.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old July 14th 03, 06:35 PM
Absinthe

On 8 Jul 2003 17:00:01 GMT, Chuck wrote:

Looks like I'll have opportunities to ski in NY and Montreal this coming
winter. Any suggestions? In NY I'll be int he Lake George area. West
Mountain is pretty close, but Hunter and Gore and within reach too. This
will probably abe a 1 or 2 day trip.

In April I'll be in Montreal for a week on business. I'll have 4 nights to
ski and one full day. Any suggestions that are within driving distance from
Montreal?

Oh, If your not from the area, go to Gore & Whiteface. West is smaller. Hunter
is in the Catskills & is further south, smaller & gets huge crowds because it is
less than 3 hrs from NYC area. Hunter does have some great runs, but save it for
a weekday when it will be less crowded. Also, Hunter has ample snow making &
tends to be open longer & with better coverage than the rest of the catskill
hills. Whiteface or "Iceface" has the longest verticle drop in the east & is
wicked :-) Gore is nive & big (for a NY ski area) and less crowded with
challenging terraine.

I haven't been skiing in the Canadian east, but I hear good things. You may
want to consider skiing at Jay Peak in Vermont since it is litterally right on
the boarder of Montreal. There is NO nightlife there, but it is the only
consistant powder mountain in the east. It gets as much snow as most resorts
out west. They also have killer glades. Stay off the tram (long line) since
one of the chairs goes up almost to the top & you won't miss much.

Heather
~~~~~~~~~~
http://absinthe-green.com
~~~~~~~~~~
Needless to say,
The president is correct.
Whatever it was he said.
- Donald Rumsfeld

Old July 21st 03, 11:55 PM
Absinthe

On 21 Jul 2003 17:35:08 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

"Absinthe" wrote in message
.. .

I haven't been skiing in the Canadian east, but I hear good things. You

may
want to consider skiing at Jay Peak in Vermont since it is litterally

right on
the boarder of Montreal. There is NO nightlife there, but it is the only
consistant powder mountain in the east. It gets as much snow as most

resorts
out west. They also have killer glades. Stay off the tram (long line)

since
one of the chairs goes up almost to the top & you won't miss much.

Heather
~~~~~~~~~~
http://absinthe-green.com
~~~~~~~~~~
Needless to say,
The president is correct.
Whatever it was he said.
- Donald Rumsfeld

Jay Peak? Hadn't thought of that. I've heard lots of good things about Jay.
Maybe that's where we'll go. Since we're driving from PA, it'll practically
be on the way. I'll see if I can swing an extra couple of days off of work
and give it a try.

Is there sufficient beginner terrain at Jay? My wife and 13 year old son
prefer to stay on the greens and easy blues.

Lots & lots of blues incl the long cruisers from the top, and the bottom of the
mountain is green. The trail map can be a wee tad confusing because it includes
the glades, but they are shaded darker. They also have plenty of expert
terraine. Its a pretty big place for the NE.

Heather
~~~~~~~~~~
http://absinthe-green.com
~~~~~~~~~~
Needless to say,
The president is correct.
Whatever it was he said.
- Donald Rumsfeld

Old July 29th 03, 08:55 PM
Walt

Chuck wrote:
Chuck wrote

In April I'll be in Montreal for a week on business. I'll have 4
nights to ski and one full day. Any suggestions that are within
driving distance from Montreal?

Correction. Just found out that the conference I'm attending in April is in
Toronto! Same question new location. Dates are 4/18 - 4/22.

Do you like to sail? There are some nice sailing clubs on the Toronto
Harbour...

Late April in Ontario is pretty late in the season for skiing.
Searchmont may still be open, but it's over 600km from Toronto. I think
you're SOL.

--
//-Walt
//

Old July 30th 03, 12:50 PM
Chuck

Walt wrote in
:

Chuck wrote:
Chuck wrote

In April I'll be in Montreal for a week on business. I'll have 4
nights to ski and one full day. Any suggestions that are within
driving distance from Montreal?

Correction. Just found out that the conference I'm attending in April
is in Toronto! Same question new location. Dates are 4/18 - 4/22.

Do you like to sail? There are some nice sailing clubs on the Toronto
Harbour...

Late April in Ontario is pretty late in the season for skiing.
Searchmont may still be open, but it's over 600km from Toronto. I
think you're SOL.

Damn! How about on the trip home through NY? I'll be coming down I-90 and
I-81.

Old July 30th 03, 01:45 PM
Walt

Chuck wrote:
Walt wrote
Chuck wrote:

Correction. Just found out that the conference I'm attending in April
is in Toronto! Same question new location. Dates are 4/18 - 4/22.

Late April in Ontario is pretty late in the season for skiing.
Searchmont may still be open, but it's over 600km from Toronto. I
think you're SOL.

Damn! How about on the trip home through NY? I'll be coming down I-90 and
I-81.

If you're willing to go out of your way a bit (say, Whiteface or
Vermont), you can probably find somewhere to ski on the way home. If
you're dead set on I-90/I-81, the percentage is pretty low that you'll
find anything open along the way. Bristol Mountain near Rochester may
be your best bet, but it's a longshot.

--
//-Walt
//