Kitzbuhel or Lech?

Old February 5th 05, 04:56 AM
Ann Seiersen

Default Kitzbuhel or Lech?

We are experienced skiers over 40 wanting to try Austria for the first time,
normally ski Colorado or Courchevel. Any recommendation re Kitzbuhel or
Lech?
Ann

Old February 5th 05, 07:03 AM
Rob White

I cannot say about K'bul as I've not been there. Lech is very chique and
upmarket, very nice but not very demanding. St Anton (just round the
corner) however is a much more demanding resort and sounds more like what
you want. The two are linked by a 20 minute bus ride

Rob

Old February 5th 05, 07:57 AM
Simon DOLBY

Also depends on WHEN you are going.

Lech has a far superior snow record, and skiing starts much earlier and
finishes far later in the season.

Lech is also far prettier - although incredibly expensive, certainly on a
par with Courchevel.

If you like the cruising runs of Courchevel., Lech would probably better (we
were there two weeks ago).

Hope this helps

Old February 5th 05, 08:44 AM
Steve Haigh

Simon DOLBY wrote:
Also depends on WHEN you are going.

Lech has a far superior snow record, and skiing starts much earlier and
finishes far later in the season.

Lech is also far prettier - although incredibly expensive, certainly on a
par with Courchevel.

If you like the cruising runs of Courchevel., Lech would probably better (we
were there two weeks ago).

Althogh Simon & Rob have pointed out that there are a lot of easier
cruising type runs it's worth mentioning that there is a lot of
excellent off-piste in the Lech & Zurs area and there a few more
challenging on-piste runs in Zurs, so expereinced skiers shouldn't be
put off either.

I'd also reiterate what Simon said: Lech has a great snow record, and
even the most ardent fan will admit that Kitz does not. I'd probably
only go to Kitzbuhel if I were booking at he last minute and the snow
was good (it's actually a place I'd really like to visit, maybe next
year...)
Old February 5th 05, 09:48 AM
Rob White

I did not mean to knock Lech. We were in St anton this time last year and
had a thoroughly good time, both there and in Lech.
Rob

Old February 5th 05, 02:55 PM
Jeremy Westhead

if you get a guide there is some fabulous off piste in lech. it is also the
only resort in austria with heli-skiing.
. ..

Old February 7th 05, 12:01 PM
David

I've skied the 3 Valleys for years, and wanted something different this
year. i am just back from Kitzbuhel. Last week was the biggest
continuous dump of snow they have had for more than 30 years, so they
should be able to keep that under your skis for a while, but they don't
seem as eager about pisting as the French, so the home runs may still
be difficult if you leave it too long before you go.

There is a large ski area, but quite a lot was inaccessible to us
because of the avalanche risk. The weather also forced us onto the
tree lined slopes, which are pretty, but narrow tracks. the lifts are
surprisingly antiquated and you will find them slow.

we had a great time though. We stayed in the Hotel SportsReich, who
looked after us very well. restraunts up the mountain were pretty good
too. And the Apres was all the things that Austria is famous for.
Kitz itself is very pretty and chique. The shops are more likely to
sell you Prada than Trespass, so take (or leave) your credit cards, (as
you prefer).

Zermatt remains my favourite though, and has a lot of the more modern
lifts and so on that you take for granted if you ski the 3 Valleys but
which austria have, to an extent, ignored.

David Lindgren