Ski choice - no magic answer

Old February 5th 05, 02:30 PM
VisionSet

Default Ski choice - no magic answer

I've held the opinion I should get myself an all mountain ski.
I'm probably what you'd call bottom end advanced.
Having some success off piste but along way to go in proper powder.
Eventually 10 quick linked turns after many face plants, made it all
worthwhile - how easily pleased.
Technique continuing to improve on-piste, albeit more slowly now.

Having just tested several skis in Alp D'Huez last week

K2 Apache Recon
Dynastart 8800
Volkl 724 Pro - briefly
Rossi Bandit B2

ordered by preference.
B2's I found pretty uninspiring.

But did I find them all uninpsiring on-piste?
I've done enough piste work to know when I'm inspired, but perhaps only if
I'd tried a piste ski to compare? which I didn't get chance to.

I'm finding this ski selection complex to say the least.

If I do indeed want an all mntn ski then I think the Recon is the one to go
for, that or the K2 Crossfire which I couldn't find to test.

Obviousy I realise the tradeoffs, but should I just get a piste ski and
accept the increased off-piste learning curve to profficiency?

I'm starting to think that an ideal future solution is to have a 2 ski
quiver. something like the Recon battleship (for it is a mighty and heavy
beast) which deals with off piste and hardpack well; and a real carve tastic
piste ski.
With this kind of compliment the recon would feel less of trade in of smiles
for cross terain ability. Not that its abilities didn't raise admiration.

Then after a full weeks dumping, on the starved slopes, rocks were quickly
causing damage on Sarene by widweek, and you think sod it I'll just hire for
the rest of my life :-(

I guess it is back to more testing in March.

--
Mike W