Info about travelling with a baby, and Samoens

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 28th 04, 10:56 AM
Greg Wood

Default Info about travelling with a baby, and Samoens

I am trying to organise a ski trip for 3 advanced intermediates (although
off-piste may not be on the cards) and a reluctant beginner who may choose
not to ski at all. Our party also includes a 16 month old baby.

The idea is the beginner/reluctant skier will look after the baby on some
days, and the skiing parents will take turns on others. These will probably
be half-days, so the resort needs to be accessible (ideally ski in & out, or
easily accessible from the slopes). There should also be some interest to a
non-skier (and baby!) at resort. As there are only 4 adults, I assume we
would have real trouble finding a catered chalet due to having the baby in
tow.

We have enjoyed La Thuile, Valmorel, Peisey/Vallandry, Val d'Isere,
3-Valleys, Serre Chevalier, & St Anton before, and would look toward a
French, Italian or Austrian location. We will be going in the 2nd week of
March, so some snow reliability is important, but cannot stay too high up
(hurts little baby ears!).

This is the first time we will be travelling with our baby. I have
considered Samoens, but am concerned that our little baby will not get to
play in snow, as it is at 700m.

Does anyone have experience of Samoens in March, whether this would be a
good place to go, or any alternate suggestions? Seems the Grand Massief area
has wonderful skiing and a fair snow record, and Samoens is quaint and has
historical interest (of interest to the non-skier/reluctant skier).

Any advice on how to deal with a 16-month-old on such a trip would also be
very welcome!

Thanks

Greg