Slope Snacks

Old February 3rd 05, 03:35 PM
Elle Navorski

Default Slope Snacks

What do people stuff into their pockets to stay fueled while skiing?

I've tried a lot of stuff. E.g. a few of those tiny Milky Way candy bars;
bland bagels; a few Little Smokies sausages; a few dried apricots.
Typically I come home with my stomach not feeling so hot, maybe because of
the weird eating habit combined I think with the happy exertion of skiing
and chairlifting 3.5 hours non-stop. Also, fighting the cold temperatures
on occasion may be throwing a wrench into my digestive system.

I don't drink any liquids during the 3.5 hours, too. (Doh, that's the
problem?)

Maybe I'd be better off dragging a thermos of soup or milk with me and
taking a break in the middle?

I'm a near 45-year old mediocre but enthused athlete. I don't usually go
3.5 hours non-stop in anything else I do.

Just looking for ideas...

Old February 3rd 05, 03:40 PM
Black Metal Martha

Elle Navorski wrote:
[...]

Dehydration sounds like one of the problems. I try to drink at least 16
oz of water every hour. I usually don't snack. I eat a good breakfast
and something lighter for lunch, maybe a salad or small sandwich I
bring with me.

But the lack of liquid will definitely help.

Martha

Old February 3rd 05, 04:26 PM
Walt

Elle Navorski wrote:

What do people stuff into their pockets to stay fueled while skiing?

A) Small bottle of water (330ml, refilled as necessary)
B) small bag of chocolate covered espresso beans
C) Energy Bar for "emergencies"
D) Sometimes a sandwich, so I don't have to go into the lodge for lunch.

I don't drink any liquids during the 3.5 hours, too. (Doh, that's the
problem?)

You need to stay hydrated in any physical activity. I like to carry a
sport bottle (you know, the kind with the spout that's easy to open and
close witht one hand, not a screw off cap that requires two hands and
can be dropped.) Take a swig or two on the chair. What eles you gonna
do while just sitting there?

And if you're a flatlander at altitude, you *definitely* need to stay
hydrated...

Maybe I'd be better off dragging a thermos of soup or milk with me and
taking a break in the middle?

I find that I can usually dash in to a lodge cafeteria, get a bowl of
chili or a sandwich, eat it and be back out in about 15 minutes. As
long as it's not between noon and one. NEVER go into the lodge between
noon and one.

But, taking your own food and having a picnic at a scenic spot is nice too.

I'm a near 45-year old mediocre but enthused athlete. I don't usually go
3.5 hours non-stop in anything else I do.

Skiing's not exactly non-stop.

--
//-Walt
//
Old February 3rd 05, 04:59 PM
Dave Stallard

Elle Navorski wrote:
What do people stuff into their pockets to stay fueled while skiing?

I've tried a lot of stuff. E.g. a few of those tiny Milky Way candy bars;
bland bagels; a few Little Smokies sausages; a few dried apricots.
Typically I come home with my stomach not feeling so hot, maybe because of
the weird eating habit combined I think with the happy exertion of skiing
and chairlifting 3.5 hours non-stop. Also, fighting the cold temperatures
on occasion may be throwing a wrench into my digestive system.

I don't drink any liquids during the 3.5 hours, too. (Doh, that's the
problem?)

Doh. You need fluids when skiing, just like with any other exercise.
Just because it's cold doesn't mean you don't need them.

I currently use a Camelbak Zoid insulated hydration pack. It's not too
bad. The hose and bite-valve will freeze up in super-cold weather if
you wear them outside your parka, but that's to be expected.

I carry energy bars, usually Clif bars. The original Powerbars will
freeze solid in the cold; stay away from them.

Dave

Old February 3rd 05, 05:57 PM
TexasSkiNut

Dave Stallard wrote:
Elle Navorski wrote:
What do people stuff into their pockets to stay fueled
whi=ADle skiing?

Doh. You need fluids when skiing, just like with any
other=AD exercise. Just because it's cold doesn't mean
you don't need them.
. . .
I carry energy bars, usually Clif bars. The original
Powerb=ADars will freeze solid in the cold; stay away from
them.

Ditto on carrying water. I use a 24oz sports bottle in a belt pack.
In warmer weather, I'll fill it with Gatorade or the equivalent. Gotta
stay hydrated.

PowerBars will yank your teeth out when they get too cold. I still
carry them, on occasion (i.e. when I find them on sale and the temp is
going to be well above 20F). I find the fruit/cereal bars are both
cheaper and easier to eat on lifts. Chewy granola bars also work. If
you've got big pockets, toss in a tasty bagel or muffin. Although, if
you're looking for more exercise, trying to chew through an entire
PowerBar on a single lift ride can burn up lots of energy.

On a typical day, I'll only go inside to refill my water bottle, use
the restroom, and to get my wife to hurry up and finish her lunch
and/or cocoa. On a powder day, I usually won't go inside until after
the lifts have closed.

Old February 3rd 05, 05:57 PM
Mary Malmros

Elle Navorski wrote:

What do people stuff into their pockets to stay fueled while skiing?

I've tried a lot of stuff. E.g. a few of those tiny Milky Way candy bars;
bland bagels; a few Little Smokies sausages; a few dried apricots.
Typically I come home with my stomach not feeling so hot, maybe because of
the weird eating habit combined I think with the happy exertion of skiing
and chairlifting 3.5 hours non-stop. Also, fighting the cold temperatures
on occasion may be throwing a wrench into my digestive system.

It could. If I'm going to be eating anything in the middle of activity,
I try to stick with easily-digestible foods, and think about what I'm
trying to get out of my food: rehydration, short-term energy, long-term
energy, muscle recovery, etc.

I don't drink any liquids during the 3.5 hours, too. (Doh, that's the
problem?)

Yes, it is. Dehydration messes with your ability to thermoregulate, and
it doesn't help digestion one bit.

Maybe I'd be better off dragging a thermos of soup or milk with me and
taking a break in the middle?

Possibly, depending on what's in the soup.

My fave skiing foods a

For rehydration: Gu2O sports drink
For quick energy: Gu (or any of the gels will do the same)
For lunchtime fuel: Some kind of soup, whole-grain bread
After skiing: Something not too heavy and with some protein in it,
within about half an hour of skiing
Evening: Cheese and beer

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old February 3rd 05, 10:20 PM
Ron - NY

Trail Bars are good to stick in your pocket . But I don't like to eat much
when I'm skiing , it slows me down . I eat a HUGE breakfast and then stop
for a small lunch , usually soup . Then maybe 1 0r 2 hot chocolate breaks .
The older I get (43) the harder it is for me to ski hard for a whole 7-8
hour day . I find myself taking more breaks each time I go . I think I'm
just not as conditioned as I was last year , I can't accept that 1 year in
age made such a difference . If I ever start doing 4 hour lift passes then
I'll know I'm a geezer . Anyway why I am talking about this when the
question was about food , never mind .....
Ron

ink.net...

Old February 3rd 05, 10:45 PM
Jim Strohm

Elle Navorski wrote:

What do people stuff into their pockets to stay fueled while skiing?

Crunchy granola bars in my pocket, so they'll be regular granola by
lunchtime ... the obligatory bagel lifted from the breakfast buffet ...
and a triple-decker banana moon pie.

I don't drink any liquids during the 3.5 hours, too. (Doh, that's the
problem?)

Sometimes bottled water, and I re-use the same bottle for as long as I
can find refills, or until the end of the trip, or until I lose it
.... and two or three canned beers. Empties go back in the pack with the
food wrappers. A large ziploc bag with the slide tab is a nice accessory.

Just looking for ideas...

Opt for light beer and not porter, stout, or ale. Two or three of those
bad boys at 8000 feet will mess you up.

Jimintexus
Old February 4th 05, 12:10 AM
ant

I don't bother eating during the day. however, if you take food to eat on
the chair, be sure to let some crumbs fall, as at night the animals come out
and investigate under teh chairs for food! You'll see their footprints in
any fresh snow there is. I bet they really like muesli bars, not sure if
chocolate is good for them though.

ant

Old February 4th 05, 12:11 AM
Harry Weiner

On 3 Feb 2005 08:40:02 -0800, "Black Metal Martha"
wrote this crap:

I don't drink any liquids during the 3.5 hours, too. (Doh, that's the
problem?)

Dehydration sounds like one of the problems. I try to drink at least 16
oz of water every hour. I usually don't snack. I eat a good breakfast
and something lighter for lunch, maybe a salad or small sandwich I
bring with me.

But the lack of liquid will definitely help.

I drink several beers per hour, and I carry a small flask of rum. And
if I ever catch one of those Saint Bernards, I'll grab his rum, too.

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."