Wedge vs. Stem; The Difference.

Old December 8th 04, 04:06 PM
lal_truckee

yunlong wrote:
Norm wrote:

Have you ever actually skied Yun?

You mean flat-boarding? Yes.
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_v_is_tcs1.avi

I looked at your home movies - poor skiing, IMO. About what you'd expect
from a dilettante couple-of-times-a-year tourist. You should be
moderately embarrassed; and take a lesson from a qualified instructor..
Old December 8th 04, 04:14 PM
lal_truckee

yunlong wrote:

Bragging? Until you can duplicate these moves,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_v_is_tcs1.avi
you don't qualify.

OK, I get it. (I'm slow these days.) It's all a joke, right? This film
is the final revelation - you're suggesting we admire simple on-snow
360s that any doofus can do (on 225 downhill boards, even, from
experience) - that's a good one!

Har. Har. Har. I join in the fun.

Tell us another one - it's a slow day.
Old December 8th 04, 06:01 PM
yunlong

lal_truckee wrote:
yunlong wrote:
Norm wrote:

Have you ever actually skied Yun?

You mean flat-boarding? Yes.
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_v_is_tcs1.avi

I looked at your home movies - poor skiing, IMO.

Yup, those without substance cannot be impressed.

IS

Old December 8th 04, 06:20 PM
yunlong

VtSkier wrote:
yunlong wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

yunlong wrote:

foot2foot wrote:

Bragging? Until you can duplicate these moves,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_v_is_tcs1.avi
you don't qualify.

IS

Ooooh, got a real competition going on. The moves are truly

beautiful,

Thanks,

but what will they get you when the going gets steep and gnarly.

What do you think?

I'm thinking you might get hung up on that outside edge. Especially

if
it's a little icy, as it is here a lot.

"Hung up" on ice? interesting thought.

I can do all those moves (actually there are only a couple of moves

shown

here)

Yah, that's only a beginning.

and I don't even teach!

VtSkier

Do you by chance use to have a handle by "Richard Walsh"?

IS

Yeah,

Your posting shows your trait,
IS

but I'm trying to keep the Spammers from getting my address.

Old December 8th 04, 06:40 PM
yunlong

Mary Malmros wrote:
yunlong wrote:

Norm wrote:

[snip]
Sure. If you did it that way. Have you ever actually skied Yun?

You mean flat-boarding? Yes.
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_v_is_tcs1.avi

IIRC, I saw Jean-Claude Killy do something very much like that on a

TV
special, from Sun Valley I think it was, sometime in the way back

when.

Thanks for the compliment.

He managed to do it without looking like "Rivendell on skis", though.

Because he had to carry poles?

IS

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old December 8th 04, 07:06 PM
bdubya

On 8 Dec 2004 11:01:09 -0800, "yunlong"
wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:
yunlong wrote:
Norm wrote:

Have you ever actually skied Yun?

You mean flat-boarding? Yes.
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_v_is_tcs1.avi

I looked at your home movies - poor skiing, IMO.

Yup, those without substance cannot be impressed.

Yun, I'm sorry to say this, but all I see in your videos is the way I
_used_ to ski, as an intermediate who hadn't had lessons in a long,
long time. All I see is weight too far back and controlling direction
by pushing the tails out, which explains why you don't "need" poles -
in that stance, there's not much use for them. It's a pleasant way to
ski the groomers, but until I see video of you "flat-boarding" in the
bumps, or (even better) off-piste in the cut-up crud, I won't be
impressed either. I'd love to find that I'm wrong, and that you
really are onto something new and different here, but I need to see it
to believe it.

bw
Old December 8th 04, 08:48 PM
Mary Malmros

yunlong wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

yunlong wrote:

Norm wrote:

[snip]

Sure. If you did it that way. Have you ever actually skied Yun?

You mean flat-boarding? Yes.
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_v_is_tcs1.avi

IIRC, I saw Jean-Claude Killy do something very much like that on a

TV

special, from Sun Valley I think it was, sometime in the way back

when.

Thanks for the compliment.

Um, it wasn't exactly a compliment.

He managed to do it without looking like "Rivendell on skis", though.

Because he had to carry poles?

He wasn't carrying poles, not that that had anything to do with it. I'm
just saying that he managed to pull off a cheezy, easy-listening,
made-for-TV waltzing-around-on-skis exhibition without looking totally
like an elf on valium.

Old December 8th 04, 08:51 PM
Mary Malmros

Walt wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

yunlong wrote:

foot2foot wrote:

[catfight snipped]

Ooooh, got a real competition going on. The moves are truly
beautiful, but what will they get you when the going gets steep and
gnarly. I can do all those moves (actually there are only a couple of
moves shown here) and I don't even teach!

I'll make the popcorn, you start selling tickets.

I'll wager 50 quatloos on foot2foot. Any takers?

Well, first you gotta come up with criteria for a win. foot has
tremendous conviction, but yun's obliviousness might give him a slight
edge in staying power, as improbable as it may sound.

Old December 8th 04, 09:12 PM
Thomas Raml

foot2foot wrote:

"Dmitry" wrote in message

I'm really serious: why is it such a big deal?

Because in most cases, it has taken people *years*
to move from the bunny hills to parallel skiing on the
blues. That's why almost all new skiers quit after the
first day. This system solves that problem.

I've witnessed no less than five people of very different
background start skiing parallel on their first or
second day with very little external influence. They
all had grave problems with more difficult terrain though,

Exactly. The magic turns system is what enables a very
new skier to take the steep greens and the blues within
hours. It's highly edged, aggressive, carved. With the old
systems, or with most people that never had any help, on
the steeper terrain, it all falls apart. It's because they have
part of the tools they need, but not all. There are only
a few. If you have them it's easy for anybody.

and for that magic turns (I really hate your nomenclature)

I didn't invent it. An extremely major ski area's learning
center uses this terminology. I decided to steal it. This
system is gaining wider use by the day.

Hmm, I learnt that magic turn on my ski instructors lessons a good 20
years ago in Austria (called officially "The new Austrian way of
teaching ski" or so). Inofficially it was called "learning to ski
from plow _direct_ to parallell" _without_ the stem. And then it was
some years old.

foot2foot describes correctly, what we learnt to teach pupils to get
to parallel in shortest time (Icould'nt describe it as clealy as he
can).

So, new?

Before I heard that, to me it was a schrittbogen system.
But that only really refers to picking up the tail and leaving
the tip on the snow. It's a whole system that does the job.

You'll *really* hate it if I go back to calling it schrittbogen.

Ha, had to learn schrittbogen myself, not that smooth as your "magic
turns"!

And I _know_ what a stemmbogen is! I had to learn it right trough:
Plow - Schrittbogen - Stemmbogen - parallel - wedeln.

YMMV, but OMHO, steps from plow to stemmbogen are more difficul than
from mastered stemmbogen to parallel.

probably won't do anything.

Actually it does everything.

I could understand something like this when learning
to snowboard (in fact, that would be really great and
save a lot of broken tailbones), but for skis it should
only be good for reeeeally athletically challanged
chikens.

Which most new skiers are. If you have a really athletic
type, they can just muscle the skis to do what they want.
Most people can't do this. They need finesse.

The beginner berm is what makes skiing fun and
relaxed for even the most timid. It can help for
snowboarding as well, but snowboarding is different.
Going straight on a flat board just isn't a good idea.
Especially for a beginner No?

--
Nobody is perfect
not even in failing