Borovets???

Old December 3rd 04, 02:59 PM
Ace

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:27:41 +0000, Sarah Eggleston
wrote:

I've booked a week in Soldeu for a few intermediates and we're hoping to
discover some off-piste: average powder experience is close to nil. Can
anyone recommend a good person to learn from?

I gather the Andorra ski-school is pretty good, although AFAIK it's the
only school around. Should we hire one of their instructors?

Yes, they are a) the only folk around and b) very good. The school is
run by a scot (whose name escapes me but he's a nice guy) and features
something like 70% native-English speakers. It might also be worth
looking up your Ski Club rep and asking for recommendations -
certainly worth mentioning (please) that you have done so when you go
to the ski school. In fact, now I think about it, ISTR that they offer
a discount for Ski Club members...

fx checks website

Yes, they'll give 10% off group or individual lessons for Ski Club
members. You can also get 20% off equipment rental at the SkiSet shops
in Soldeu and el Tarter.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 3rd 04, 03:45 PM
Carl Edwards

(No troll guys) - see there he goes again spouting forth garbage from
either
a stance of ignorance or lack of experience when riding with others - few
years back, ok in late spring over the back of Calviere there was one drag
that did have a couple of "intermediates", actually they would probably be
insulted at that, but anyway, they came off, not once, but twice ..... and
they were goofy, whilst those that were regular had no probs.........

But hey, what do I know??

Sorry... you're mad, or lying about being a troll...

No snowboarder who would dare to describe himself as an intermediate should
be falling off a drag lift. Hell, I'm probably not even an intermediate and
I've never fallen off a drag lift! Whether that's because I had years of
"ski" experience first, I don't know, but I would question your mates'
abilities if they fall off drag lifts...

Old December 3rd 04, 04:00 PM
gbaylis

Sorry... you're mad, or lying about being a troll...

No snowboarder who would dare to describe himself as an intermediate

should
be falling off a drag lift. Hell, I'm probably not even an intermediate

and
I've never fallen off a drag lift! Whether that's because I had years of
"ski" experience first, I don't know, but I would question your mates'
abilities if they fall off drag lifts...

No, straight up - no mucking about / trolls / and no liquid lunches / that
is the boarders, and not me on a keyboard, making them fall of drag lifts,
and yes, in one case - a good boarder see
http://www.mountaintime.nu/gallery/simon_240.html he's one of the boarders,
plus me - hence by comments about not being up to scratch - and yes that bit
was a wind up - ski club of gb's and la grave don't go well together.....

Old December 3rd 04, 04:06 PM
gbaylis

plus we're so crap at drags we don't use them
see http://www.seaspritesports.com/skinning.jpg

Old December 4th 04, 08:56 AM
Steve Haigh

pete devlin wrote:
In message , Steve Haigh
writes

It's hard to imagine a heli on a poma going right:-)

I haven't tried another one since!

Ironically I gave up trying helis when I bought a helmet as I didn't
want to damage the new purchase (no need to point out the stupidity of
this line of reasoning by the way!)

Assuming you ended up in a heap I'm surrpised you got a bollocking,
are you sure the liftie wasn't just ****ing himself with laughter?

The liftie said nothing. The queue ****ed themselves laughing and gave
me abuse in about 7 different languages.

Ah well, at least they enjoyed your efforts.
Old December 5th 04, 06:41 PM
Sue

In message , Steve Haigh
writes
pete devlin wrote:

Assuming you ended up in a heap I'm surrpised you got a bollocking,
are you sure the liftie wasn't just ****ing himself with laughter?

The liftie said nothing. The queue ****ed themselves laughing and
gave me abuse in about 7 different languages.

Ah well, at least they enjoyed your efforts.

Never try to cheat the draglift spirit of its fun!

If you get away with it at the launch, you'll be thrown off the lift
halfway up, probably into some off-piste scrub or a pile of conifer
trimmings.

[The spirit lives underground in tunnels under the lift line. In summer
it's often mistaken for a mole (that's why Alpine weather forecasts are
so unreliable) but it's really a kind of troll.
It lives on food dropped by people who fall off the lift, plus whatever
it can cadge from the operators for providing their entertainment.]

--
Sue ];(
Old December 6th 04, 09:06 AM
David Brown

"gbaylis" wrote in message news:coq62u$sqe$1
http://www.mountaintime.nu/gallery/simon_240.html

Thank you gbaylis, I was asking for that link just the other week and got no
replies.

)

--
kitemap
http://ugcc.co.uk

Old December 6th 04, 12:29 PM
WeatherCam

"David Brown" wrote in message
"gbaylis" wrote in message news:coq62u$sqe$1
http://www.mountaintime.nu/gallery/simon_240.html

Thank you gbaylis, I was asking for that link just the other week and got

no
replies.

)

Well there you go David - this is actually my usual "sig" not gbaylis - we
have a very sweet video from this years trip in the Lyngen Alps must try and
get that up some where - we're going back to LG next year for a bit of this
& that depending on conditions - mmmm, interesting to see no replies from
Ace or Carl - hey maybe I do know what I'm talking about, eh boys?

Regards
WC

http://www.seaspritesports.com/weatherframe.htm

Old December 6th 04, 02:59 PM
David Brown

"WeatherCam" wrote in message
Well there you go David - this is actually my usual "sig" not gbaylis - we
have a very sweet video from this years trip in the Lyngen Alps must try
and
get that up some where - we're going back to LG next year for a bit of
this
& that depending on conditions - mmmm, interesting to see no replies from
Ace or Carl - hey maybe I do know what I'm talking about, eh boys?

Yep thanks again, and if you are one of the boarders in that video then you
are very good indeed but having said that, what's your problem with drag
lifts?
I'm fairly new to boarding myself, on a good day I'll get called, and I
quote, "A ****ing liar" when I say I'm a beginner, as I can ride any piste,
carve on shallowish runs, and am not to bad on fairly deep powder. On a bad
day I'm ****e, but never have had problems with drag lifts.
Do you stick to riding forward (what's the opposite to switch?) all the
time? Not sure that this is relevant but could be a factor in the total
control of the board.

Cheers anyway, all those videos are great )

--
kitemap
http://kitemap.co.uk

Old December 6th 04, 03:11 PM
Ace

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:29:42 -0000, "WeatherCam"
wrote:

Well there you go David - this is actually my usual "sig" not gbaylis - we
have a very sweet video from this years trip in the Lyngen Alps must try and
get that up some where - we're going back to LG next year for a bit of this
& that depending on conditions - mmmm, interesting to see no replies from
Ace or Carl - hey maybe I do know what I'm talking about, eh boys?

Oh do go away. You seem to have generated the entire troll-thread just
to get people to watch some second-rate videos of a couple of skiers
and boarders oing some powder. It proves nothing, and certainly gives
no weight whatsoever to your argument that it's normal for
high-standard boarders to be unable to do drag lifts.

First time I've had to do this on here for ages, but *plonk*.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

Borovets Almarni European Ski Resorts 3 March 1st 04 06:14 AM
Does Borovets have a snowboard park? Erik Jälevik Snowboarding 0 November 13th 03 04:53 PM