Off Topic skiing (was some wingnut rant or another)

Old November 4th 06, 02:46 AM posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.skiing.alpine
Maxprop

Default Off Topic skiing (was some wingnut rant or another)

"Walt" wrote in message
Maxprop wrote:

"Walt" wrote in message

Colorado had record snowfall. Tahoe absolutely got *pasted* late in the
season. Sorry you were't in the right place at the right time, but last
year was a *very* good year (except New Mexico).

Could have fooled me, Walt. The snow was lousy and icy for the entire
week we skied. And there were bare spots everywhere. Were we in the
Colorado of a parallel universe? :-)

Nah, just at a different time. I don't doubt that what you say is true,
but don't judge a season by one week, even if it's the only week you're
there. Like sailing, it's an outdoor sport, subject to natural conditions.
If you want perfect conditions all the time, take up bowling.

I'm well acquainted with the vagarities of winter weather, especially in the
Colorado mountains. Recall that I spent several years working with a daily
view of the Continental Divide just to the east. That said, the best snow
that I remember typically was to be had toward the end of the ski season,
around the end of March/first of April. By then we'd raised the tower pads
several times and they were still partly submerged. My particular love is
spring skiing, especially in wide open bowls on very steep slopes. Vail was
excellent in that regard. Probably still is.

Max

Old November 4th 06, 02:49 AM posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.skiing.alpine
Maxprop

"Sam Seiber" wrote in message
Maxprop wrote:
Could have fooled me, Walt. The snow was lousy and icy for the entire
week
we skied. And there were bare spots everywhere. Were we in the Colorado
of
a parallel universe? :-)

Maybe you went to Wolf Creek. They didn't get anywhere near normal
snowfall
last season.

We spent two days at my old stompin' grounds: Breckenridge. Then skied
Copper, Vail for a day each, and then Aspen (Ajax and Snowmass one day
each).

Aspen had the best snow, Vail and Copper the next best, and Breckenridge the
thinnest.

Max

Old November 4th 06, 02:50 AM posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.skiing.alpine
Maxprop

"snoig" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sam Seiber wrote:
Maxprop wrote:
Could have fooled me, Walt. The snow was lousy and icy for the entire
week
we skied. And there were bare spots everywhere. Were we in the
Colorado of
a parallel universe? :-)

Maybe you went to Wolf Creek. They didn't get anywhere near normal
snowfall
last season.

Sam "Can't think of anything cute right now" Seiber

Well, last year was the third best on record (since something like
1880) for early season snowfall (Sept - Dec) in the central and
northern rockies. One of the best years I have seen in the close to 20
years I have been here. But the San Juan's did get below normal
snowfall so Wolf Creek and the Aspen area could have been bad at times.

Amusing. We thought just the opposite. Oh well.

Max

Old November 4th 06, 12:53 PM posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.skiing.alpine
Let Mikey Ski It! Let Mikey Ski It! is offline
Junior Member

"Maxprop" said:
"snoig" wrote in message news:
Well, last year was the third best on record (since something like
1880) for early season snowfall (Sept - Dec) in the central and
northern rockies. One of the best years I have seen in the close to 20
years I have been here. But the San Juan's did get below normal
snowfall so Wolf Creek and the Aspen area could have been bad at times.

Amusing. We thought just the opposite. Oh well.

Are you sure you were in Breckenridge - Colorado-? One of the best
years ever. Here's photo proof:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Pow...Of/BestOf.html

Mike...

--

See my ski photography at http://Powderday.us
Carpe powder-diem

Old November 5th 06, 12:14 AM posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.skiing.alpine
Maxprop

"Let Mikey Ski It!" wrote in message
"Maxprop" said:
"snoig" wrote in message news:
Well, last year was the third best on record (since something like
1880) for early season snowfall (Sept - Dec) in the central and
northern rockies. One of the best years I have seen in the close to 20
years I have been here. But the San Juan's did get below normal
snowfall so Wolf Creek and the Aspen area could have been bad at times.

Amusing. We thought just the opposite. Oh well.

Are you sure you were in Breckenridge - Colorado-? One of the best years
ever. Here's photo proof:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Pow...Of/BestOf.html

Mike...

Majordomo brain fart, guys. When I looked at the photos from the trip to
Colorado, the date stamps showed 2004. I thought, "How can this be? Did I
set the camera wrong?" My wife overheard me and asked what I was whining
about, and she confirmed that our trip was two years ago, not last winter.

Time flies when one is having fun. (Or facing incipient Alzheimer's, I
guess.)

Max

Old November 5th 06, 12:16 AM posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.skiing.alpine
Maxprop

"Bob Lee" wrote in message
Maxprop wrote:

Walt wrote:

Maxprop wrote:

OzOne wrote:

I love the west coast. Spent a month there last year all around Tahoe
but unfortunately it wasn't the best season there.

It wasn't the best season anywhere last year, sadly. I went to
Colorado
and experienced the worst snow I could ever remember. When I was a
pro
ski patrolman at Breckenridge in the Seventies, we typically had in
excess of 200" per season. Last year they'd had a bit more than 90"
by
the middle of February.

You guys don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about.

"2005-06 was the first season since 1998-99 with more ski areas having
above average snow than below. The Northern Rockies and Northern
Colorado
had abundant snow from the start, with Utah similarly blessed from
early
December and the Pacific States from the holidays onwards. Only the far
Southwest suffered, with minimal natural snow before March." -
http://members.aol.com/crockeraf/seas06.htm

Colorado had record snowfall. Tahoe absolutely got *pasted* late in
the
season. Sorry you were't in the right place at the right time, but
last
year was a *very* good year (except New Mexico).

Could have fooled me, Walt. The snow was lousy and icy for the entire
week
we skied. And there were bare spots everywhere. Were we in the Colorado
of
a parallel universe? :-)

You were fooled - one entire week (or even a month) does not a season
make, Maxprop. Perhaps you should have claimed that it wasn't the best
week of skiing you'd had or whatever, but as Walt and a couple of
Colorado residents have pointed out, last season was very, very good to
Colorado (the *******s) and California. Your problem here is projecting
from that one week to the entire season.

FWIW, I was skiing in Colorado as late as Father's day:
http://hyperion.usc.edu/~jrredho/Ind...6/100_0079.jpg

See my post to Let Mikey Ski It. I could have sworn it was last year, but
it turns out we were there in 2004. Oh well.

Max

Old November 5th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Joe

Default /

,

Old November 5th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Joe wrote:
,

Your point being?
Old November 5th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 21:53:06 -0500, VtSkier
wrote:

Joe wrote:
,

Your point being?

!

bw
Old November 5th 06, 01:27 PM posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.skiing.alpine
Maxprop

"Bob Lee" wrote in message
Maxprop wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:

Maxprop wrote:

Walt wrote:

Maxprop wrote:

OzOne wrote:

[...]

Ah well, *that* is perfectly understandable. A little temporal
disorientation, after all who among us hasn't suffered from that? I
once thought I was like the Billy Pilgrim character from Slaughterhouse
Five and I kept revisiting various summers in my life, worried that I
might never have winter and skiing again.

My sympathies for having to expose your foibles to your better half.
Who knows what that will cost you over time - you'll be lucky if it's
only another ski trip.

Her last comment: "Europe on odd years, domestic on even years. Can you
handle that?"

Sheesh. I'm really going to screw up the plan and suggest we ski Canada in
'07.

Max