On the news today

Old December 6th 04, 08:55 PM
Champ

Default On the news today

French police are going to follow up any equipment thefts reported in
resorts by British tourists, to check that these same people aren't
taken their 'stolen' skis/kit back home with them.

Prompted by some analysis that shows some people seem to get their
skis stolen each year, always on a Friday...

I'm sure no-one here would contemplate such an insurance scam, but I
bet many of us know someone who has.
--
Champ
I don't know, but I've been told, never slow down, you never grow old
Old December 6th 04, 09:34 PM
Steve Haigh

Champ wrote:

French police are going to follow up any equipment thefts reported in
resorts by British tourists, to check that these same people aren't
taken their 'stolen' skis/kit back home with them.

Prompted by some analysis that shows some people seem to get their
skis stolen each year, always on a Friday...

I'm sure no-one here would contemplate such an insurance scam, but I
bet many of us know someone who has.

I've heard of clamp downs before against this alleged scam, and when
I've worked in resorts I know that police will come around to a guests
hotel/chalet/apartment and check the ski room. I have to admit that out
of the hundreds of guests I've met and the many ski trips I've been on I
don't know anyone who has done this, so in my experience at least this
is a bit of a myth.
Old December 7th 04, 06:14 AM
PG

"Steve Haigh" wrote in message
| Champ wrote:
|
| French police are going to follow up any equipment thefts reported
in
| resorts by British tourists, to check that these same people aren't
| taken their 'stolen' skis/kit back home with them.
|
| Prompted by some analysis that shows some people seem to get their
| skis stolen each year, always on a Friday...
|
| I'm sure no-one here would contemplate such an insurance scam, but I
| bet many of us know someone who has.
| I've heard of clamp downs before against this alleged scam, and when
| I've worked in resorts I know that police will come around to a guests
| hotel/chalet/apartment and check the ski room. I have to admit that
out
| of the hundreds of guests I've met and the many ski trips I've been on
| don't know anyone who has done this, so in my experience at least this
| is a bit of a myth.

There were some stats released in the French press last week, plus more
details in the Sunday Times over the weekend, which at least on the
surface seem to back this up. Big business for some, apparently. The
finger is pointed at the Brits, but also at organised saisonnaire scams
and ski train thefts (the thieves all get off with their wares at the
first stop in Moûtiers). Ski rental shops themselves are alleged to be
involved in various frauds, when they need to replace their stock. Then
there's the surge in thefts reported, coincidentally, on the last day of
a stay. Not a few are sold on through local second-hand ski fairs,
others are stolen to order.

Pete
http://www.skiracers.net

Old December 7th 04, 08:04 AM

Strange that the French police are so concerned about British insurance
companies...

Old December 7th 04, 08:04 AM

Old December 7th 04, 08:39 AM
Champ

On 7 Dec 2004 01:04:33 -0800, wrote:

Strange that the French police are so concerned about British insurance
companies...

Why? Fraud is fraud.
--
Champ
Old December 7th 04, 09:46 AM
Paul

"Champ" wrote in message
French police are going to follow up any equipment thefts reported in
resorts by British tourists, to check that these same people aren't
taken their 'stolen' skis/kit back home with them.

Prompted by some analysis that shows some people seem to get their
skis stolen each year, always on a Friday...

I'm sure no-one here would contemplate such an insurance scam, but I
bet many of us know someone who has.
--
Champ
I don't know, but I've been told, never slow down, you never grow old
GSX-R 1000, GPz 750 turbo, ZX7RR Endurance Racer x 2
GYASB#0 BotToS#2 BOTAFO(T|F)#35 WG*#1 DFV#8
Team UKRM Racing : www.team-ukrm.com

If the french are suddenly so interested in theft then why don't they insist
on the various places
where skiis are stolen to have 'locking ski rails' (I don't know if they
have a propper name).
Last year in Courcheval I noticed down at the cafe in between the funicular
and the chair
that they had installed some. Its bizzare to me that a pair of skiis costs
on average 300-500
pounds and most people seam quite happy to just leave them anywhere, alough
I kinda like
the idea that you can get away with this most of the time it is strange that
it is the normal thing
to do, even I do it to some degree. Whenever I have to leave my skiis where
I cant see them
then I lock them or swap a ski with someone. I have to admit that my skiis
at the moment
probably would not get stolen anyway being 4 year old 198 rossi's but when I
get my new
skiis and they are all shiny and desireable I will be locking them up.

Paul

Old December 7th 04, 10:58 AM
Nick Hounsome

wrote in message
oups.com...
Strange that the French police are so concerned about British insurance
companies...

You usually have to get a police report number to claim for theft on your
insurance - If they are not really stolen then this is just wasting police
time. Lots of reported unsolved thefts will also make the police look bad in
any league tables that they might have.

Old December 7th 04, 01:03 PM
The Older Gentleman

Paul wrote:

when I
get my new
skiis and they are all shiny and desireable I will be locking them up.

Just spray them with matt black paint. Job done. Streetfighter skis.

Unless you're so sad that you want them to co-ordinate with the rest of
your gear, or you acually *want* people to know you've get the latest
Grand Prix Slalom De Luxe Supercarver Mark Threes.

--
Trophy 1200 (Doctored) 750SS CB400F CD200 ST70 DT50MX
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3