Temperature for Boulder Mountain Tour?

Old January 5th 04, 01:54 AM
Chris Esposito

Default Temperature for Boulder Mountain Tour?

Greetings-
I've been looking for a race in February to do, and from where I am
(Seattle area), the Boulder Mountain Tour in Idaho is relatively
convenient to get to. For those of you that have done this race before,
how cold was it at the start? A groups.google search of RSN didn't yield
much.

Thanks,
Chris

Old January 5th 04, 02:19 PM
Chris Cline

--0-1048727641-1073315867=:91692

Hi Chris-
The answer is "it depends." I have done it with start temps ranging from arctic (down near 0 F) to Seattle-esque (30 degrees and misting). Overall, I'd say that the colder temps are more usual, though. The race is in a river-valley, so in general, it seems that the snow temps stay pretty cold for the duration of the race. You don't tend to get out into the sun until the last quarter of the race, and it usually doesn't have much punch even then.

It's a fun race- beautiful course, good organization, great lunch at the finish line after the race, but the post-race awards banquet is usually pretty disappointing for those who aren't going to collect 1st - 3rd place hardware (it's usually more fun to get a nice dinner and then go cut loose with your friends at one of the many restaurants and/or bars in Ketchum).

Chris Cline
SLC, UT

Chris Esposito wrote:
Greetings-
I've been looking for a race in February to do, and from where I am
(Seattle area), the Boulder Mountain Tour in Idaho is relatively
convenient to get to. For those of you that have done this race before,
how cold was it at the start? A groups.google search of RSN didn't yield
much.

Thanks,
Chris

--0-1048727641-1073315867=:91692

DIVHi Chris-/DIV
DIVThe answer is "it depends."  I have done it with start temps ranging from arctic (down near 0 F) to Seattle-esque (30 degrees and misting).  Overall, I'd say that the colder temps are more usual, though.  The race is in a river-valley, so in general, it seems that the snow temps stay pretty cold for the duration of the race.  You don't tend to get out into the sun until the last quarter of the race, and it usually doesn't have much punch even then./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVIt's a fun race- beautiful course, good organization, great lunch at the finish line after the race, but the post-race awards banquet is usually pretty disappointing for those who aren't going to collect 1st - 3rd place hardware (it's usually more fun to get a nice dinner and then go cut loose with your friends at one of the many restaurants and/or bars in Ketchum)./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVChris Cline/DIV
DIVSLC, UT/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVBRBRBIChris Esposito >/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"Greetings-BRI've been looking for a race in February to do, and from where I am BR(Seattle area), the Boulder Mountain Tour in Idaho is relatively BRconvenient to get to. For those of you that have done this race before, BRhow cold was it at the start? A groups.google search of RSN didn't yield BRmuch.BRBRThanks,BRChrisBRBRBRBR BR/BLOCKQUOTEphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
a href="http://search.yahoo.com/top2003"Find out what made the Top Yahoo! Searches of 2003
/a
--0-1048727641-1073315867=:91692--

Old January 5th 04, 04:53 PM
chris esposito

Chris Cline wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info. Having just had a rare day of skiing at 10 F.
yesterday at Snoqualmie Pass I was painfully forced to conclude that my
usual ski clothing isn't quite warm enough at those temperatures, so a
few warmer items may be in order.

Chris

Old January 5th 04, 08:39 PM
Chris Cline

--0-1311450491-1073338157=:96400

For Boulder Mountain, just remember that "it's a dry cold" (compared to 10F with higher humidity), and that even though you might be a bit chilly at the start, you'll probably be over-dressed as the race goes on if you wear TOO much.

Chris Cline

chris esposito wrote:
Chris Cline wrote:
[...]

DIVFor Boulder Mountain, just remember that "it's a dry cold" (compared to 10F with higher humidity), and that even though you might be a bit chilly at the start, you'll probably be over-dressed as the race goes on if you wear TOO much./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVChris ClineBRBRBIchris esposito >/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"Chris Cline wrote:BR> --0-1048727641-1073315867=:91692BR> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-asciiBR> BR> Hi Chris-BR> The answer is "it depends." I have done it with start temps ranging from arctic (down near 0 F) to Seattle-esque (30 degrees and misting). Overall, I'd say that the colder temps are more usual, though. The race is in a river-valley, so in general, it seems that the snow temps stay pretty cold for the duration of the race. You don't tend to get out into the sun until the last quarter of the race, and it usually doesn't have much punch even then.BR> BR> It's a fun race- beautiful course, good organization, great lunch at the finish line after the race, but the post-race awards banquet is usually pretty disappointing for those who aren't going to collect 1st - 3rd place hardware (it's usually more fun to get a nice dinner and!
then go
cut loose with your friends at one of the many restaurants and/or bars in Ketchum).BR> BR> Chris ClineBR> SLC, UTBRBRThanks for the info. Having just had a rare day of skiing at < 10 F. BRyesterday at Snoqualmie Pass I was painfully forced to conclude that my BRusual ski clothing isn't quite warm enough at those temperatures, so a BRfew warmer items may be in order.BRBRChrisBRBRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTEphr SIZE=1

Old January 6th 04, 04:14 AM
Chris Esposito

Chris Cline wrote:
--0-1311450491-1073338157=:96400

For Boulder Mountain, just remember that "it's a dry cold" (compared to 10F with higher humidity), and that even though you might be a bit chilly at the start, you'll probably be over-dressed as the race goes on if you wear TOO much.

Chris Cline

Living in Salt Lake, you probably have more experience with anything dry
than we get here, so I will cheerfully take your advice.

Having lived in the New Mexican desert for 6 years, I can't hear `it's a
dry cold', without thinking of the standard mantra down there - `it's a
dry heat'. At 100 F. in the shade, the common reply among those new to
the area was `So's my oven' :-).